Arrow slip on, amazing!

I agree about the arrow muffler. My second fav right behind the Staintune.

Drivel? ...Lol. It's a forum open for discussion, particularly about this bike, so you are bound to get differing opinions. Read them all, value some that you agree with, dismiss others which you don't find relevant, but value those that particpate because that's what makes it interesting.

We are still waiting for the first 100 hp CB1100. Maybe it will be yours. How cool would that be?
 
The ferret_imp said:
I agree about the arrow muffler. My second fav right behind the Staintune.

Drivel? ...Lol. It's a forum open for discussion, particularly about this bike, so you are bound to get differing opinions. Read them all, value some that you agree with, dismiss others which you don't find relevant, but value those that particpate because that's what makes it interesting.

We are still waiting for the first 100 hp CB1100. Maybe it will be yours. How cool would that be?
And onions....don't forget about the onions.

But seriously....I haven't decided if I want to swap out my muffler. I went looking for a local place to buy a Staintune shortly after I bought the bike, but being in CA nobody would sell it due to the new state laws. Any vehicle made after 1/1/2013 must have the factory muffler on it (or something very close to that wording) so they won't even consider selling the parts.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Stock pipe usually not replaced for the power..it's for the noise
If you replace "noise" with "tone" then you've covered most of my reasoning behind swapping the stock exhaust out for the Staintune. I also happen to like the looks better as well, but it's the tone that I was most attracted to.

There might be some power gains involved, but they seem more or less negligible. It does feel like there is better throttle response as a result of the swap. For the most part I believe that the bike simply "feels" faster because the exhaust note sounds so much better to my ears.
 
Randy B_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I agree about the arrow muffler. My second fav right behind the Staintune.

Drivel? ...Lol. It's a forum open for discussion, particularly about this bike, so you are bound to get differing opinions. Read them all, value some that you agree with, dismiss others which you don't find relevant, but value those that particpate because that's what makes it interesting.

We are still waiting for the first 100 hp CB1100. Maybe it will be yours. How cool would that be?
And onions....don't forget about the onions.

But seriously....I haven't decided if I want to swap out my muffler. I went looking for a local place to buy a Staintune shortly after I bought the bike, but being in CA nobody would sell it due to the new state laws. Any vehicle made after 1/1/2013 must have the factory muffler on it (or something very close to that wording) so they won't even consider selling the parts.
And onions....don't forget about the onions.

But seriously....I haven't decided if I want to swap out my muffler. I went looking for a local place to buy a Staintune shortly after I bought the bike, but being in CA nobody would sell it due to the new state laws. Any vehicle made after 1/1/2013 must have the factory muffler on it (or something very close to that wording) so they won't even consider selling the parts.
and Pizza :rofl:

Hmmm...we have a lot of members in Cali with non stock exhausts Randy. Can you mail order it?
 
White Dog_imp said:
rbike, I'm with you on this. The adds I have made were mostly to have a more safe and comfortable riding machine--not a louder one. My original purpose for buying the CB1100 was to have a lighter, more maneuverable cycle for quick trips to get groceries, etc, thus the need for saddle bags and a tail bag. For the pleasure rides the highway pegs are real winners and the seat improvements have helped tremendously. However, I'm not sure what the purpose of the RLETS is, but it seemed the thing to do.
Whatever are the HP gains from installation of new exhaust system, they never come in whole numbers; for example 5.65hp. It is a proven fact that the RLETS will give you the remaining decimal points to make that fraction an entire horse. It's science, bros... :cool:

How about BACON? :D
 
Nemo_imp said:
White Dog_imp said:
rbike, I'm with you on this. The adds I have made were mostly to have a more safe and comfortable riding machine--not a louder one. My original purpose for buying the CB1100 was to have a lighter, more maneuverable cycle for quick trips to get groceries, etc, thus the need for saddle bags and a tail bag. For the pleasure rides the highway pegs are real winners and the seat improvements have helped tremendously. However, I'm not sure what the purpose of the RLETS is, but it seemed the thing to do.
Whatever are the HP gains from installation of new exhaust system, they never come in whole numbers; for example 5.65hp. It is a proven fact that the RLETS will give you the remaining decimal points to make that fraction an entire horse. It's science, bros... :cool:

How about BACON? :D
Whatever are the HP gains from installation of new exhaust system, they never come in whole numbers; for example 5.65hp. It is a proven fact that the RLETS will give you the remaining decimal points to make that fraction an entire horse. It's science, bros... :cool:

How about BACON? :D
No Bacon and Onions here, but related. Nemo, were you in the group (typically 30-50 bikes at a time) that used to (?still) take monthly Saturday am rides with the Honda Dealer in Jacksonville, Fl back in the 90s when I had my 750? I recall the CRs having to stop after/every 10-15 minutes to rest because being in that crotch position HURT! We CBs stopped for 5-10 minutes to let them recover and continue on.

I remember as they would zoom up the Dames Point bridge and look back to be amazed that the CBs were still with them.

So much for extra HP.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I agree about the arrow muffler. My second fav right behind the Staintune.

Drivel? ...Lol. It's a forum open for discussion, particularly about this bike, so you are bound to get differing opinions. Read them all, value some that you agree with, dismiss others which you don't find relevant, but value those that particpate because that's what makes it interesting.

We are still waiting for the first 100 hp CB1100. Maybe it will be yours. How cool would that be?
And onions....don't forget about the onions.

But seriously....I haven't decided if I want to swap out my muffler. I went looking for a local place to buy a Staintune shortly after I bought the bike, but being in CA nobody would sell it due to the new state laws. Any vehicle made after 1/1/2013 must have the factory muffler on it (or something very close to that wording) so they won't even consider selling the parts.
And onions....don't forget about the onions.

But seriously....I haven't decided if I want to swap out my muffler. I went looking for a local place to buy a Staintune shortly after I bought the bike, but being in CA nobody would sell it due to the new state laws. Any vehicle made after 1/1/2013 must have the factory muffler on it (or something very close to that wording) so they won't even consider selling the parts.
and Pizza :rofl:

Hmmm...we have a lot of members in Cali with non stock exhausts Randy. Can you mail order it?
And onions....don't forget about the onions.

But seriously....I haven't decided if I want to swap out my muffler. I went looking for a local place to buy a Staintune shortly after I bought the bike, but being in CA nobody would sell it due to the new state laws. Any vehicle made after 1/1/2013 must have the factory muffler on it (or something very close to that wording) so they won't even consider selling the parts.
and Pizza :rofl:

Hmmm...we have a lot of members in Cali with non stock exhausts Randy.
And each one of them is breaking the law and if pulled over could be sighted for it.
I can't tell you how much I HATE the politics of this (nanny) state.
 
Pizza is not so bad with bacon and onions. I thought about posting something about the college football playoffs, but didn't know where or if on the forum it would be appropriate or "off subject". Now talk about "oil wars". In the marine forums, the subject was "prop wars" to get a vigorous debate going. We used to have that every six months at a minimum as new members joined.

Directly, thanks to all for your feedback regarding Mr T. I just ordered my Rear Carrier, (Chrome CB1100 STD - honda0008). I would have been very hesitant otherwise - make that I would not have.
 
rbike_imp said:
Pizza is not so bad with bacon and onions. I thought about posting something about the college football playoffs, but didn't know where or if on the forum it would be appropriate or "off subject". Now talk about "oil wars". In the marine forums, the subject was "prop wars" to get a vigorous debate going. We used to have that every six months at a minimum as new members joined.

Directly, thanks to all for your feedback regarding Mr T. I just ordered my Rear Carrier, (Chrome CB1100 STD - honda0008). I would have been very hesitant otherwise - make that I would not have.
Well we do like to keep it CB1100/motorcycle oriented and this thread started out that way..... but drifted a bit as they often do.

A thread specifically about Pizza or Onions or Bacon or College Football (or any subject not CB1100 or motorcycle related in some sort) generally would not be allowed. We do not have an anything goes section and although it's been discussed several times, the ADM has decided against it, because those forums tend to get out of hand badly, and cause hurt feelings. We have all seen it and are trying like crazy to avoid that here.
 
The ferret_imp said:
rbike_imp said:
Pizza is not so bad with bacon and onions. I thought about posting something about the college football playoffs, but didn't know where or if on the forum it would be appropriate or "off subject". Now talk about "oil wars". In the marine forums, the subject was "prop wars" to get a vigorous debate going. We used to have that every six months at a minimum as new members joined.

Directly, thanks to all for your feedback regarding Mr T. I just ordered my Rear Carrier, (Chrome CB1100 STD - honda0008). I would have been very hesitant otherwise - make that I would not have.
Well we do like to keep it CB1100/motorcycle oriented and this thread started out that way..... but drifted a bit as they often do.

A thread specifically about Pizza or Onions or Bacon or College Football (or any subject not CB1100 or motorcycle related in some sort) generally would not be allowed. We do not have an anything goes section and although it's been discussed several times, the ADM has decided against it, because those forums tend to get out of hand badly, and cause hurt feelings. We have all seen it and are trying like crazy to avoid that here.
Well we do like to keep it CB1100/motorcycle oriented and this thread started out that way..... but drifted a bit as they often do.

A thread specifically about Pizza or Onions or Bacon or College Football (or any subject not CB1100 or motorcycle related in some sort) generally would not be appropriate.
With that in mind, I just did a search on saddle bags and was surprised to have 5 pages of results - ? start a new thread vs replying to existing or going off topic in existing thread. For fans of the forum that view at least daily (some much more than others), I thought there may be a section under other stuff or a whole section to itself - for just possible comradery of non-mc items. It would have to be all by itself to not overtake the main reason for the forum - just possible suggestion, certainly not mandatory. I like what I see and read here! Cudos to Originator and moderator!
 
rbike_imp said:
Nemo_imp said:
White Dog_imp said:
rbike, I'm with you on this. The adds I have made were mostly to have a more safe and comfortable riding machine--not a louder one. My original purpose for buying the CB1100 was to have a lighter, more maneuverable cycle for quick trips to get groceries, etc, thus the need for saddle bags and a tail bag. For the pleasure rides the highway pegs are real winners and the seat improvements have helped tremendously. However, I'm not sure what the purpose of the RLETS is, but it seemed the thing to do.
Whatever are the HP gains from installation of new exhaust system, they never come in whole numbers; for example 5.65hp. It is a proven fact that the RLETS will give you the remaining decimal points to make that fraction an entire horse. It's science, bros... :cool:

How about BACON? :D
Whatever are the HP gains from installation of new exhaust system, they never come in whole numbers; for example 5.65hp. It is a proven fact that the RLETS will give you the remaining decimal points to make that fraction an entire horse. It's science, bros... :cool:

How about BACON? :D
No Bacon and Onions here, but related. Nemo, were you in the group (typically 30-50 bikes at a time) that used to (?still) take monthly Saturday am rides with the Honda Dealer in Jacksonville, Fl back in the 90s when I had my 750? I recall the CRs having to stop after/every 10-15 minutes to rest because being in that crotch position HURT! We CBs stopped for 5-10 minutes to let them recover and continue on.

I remember as they would zoom up the Dames Point bridge and look back to be amazed that the CBs were still with them.

So much for extra HP.
Rbike, I moved to JAX in 2003 and didn't have a bike until January this year, thus no, I wasn't part of that bunch. Sounds like it was fun though...
 
Thread starter
How did this thread go from a slip on muffler to pizza, onions and bacon??. I do get a grin from the gentle souls that can not understand the reason anyone would like more noise from their exhaust.....I'm 54 and still love the sound a bike makes going thru the gears while blazing my local canyons. An Arrow header is in my future for this bike to be followed by a power commander. and BTW, my CB will loft the front wheel in 1st with no clutching with this slip on...
 
Lol sometimes threads drift a little from their original subject.
 
Guth_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Stock pipe usually not replaced for the power..it's for the noise
If you replace "noise" with "tone" then you've covered most of my reasoning behind swapping the stock exhaust out for the Staintune. I also happen to like the looks better as well, but it's the tone that I was most attracted to.

There might be some power gains involved, but they seem more or less negligible. It does feel like there is better throttle response as a result of the swap. For the most part I believe that the bike simply "feels" faster because the exhaust note sounds so much better to my ears.
If you replace "noise" with "tone" then you've covered most of my reasoning behind swapping the stock exhaust out for the Staintune. I also happen to like the looks better as well, but it's the tone that I was most attracted to.

There might be some power gains involved, but they seem more or less negligible. It does feel like there is better throttle response as a result of the swap. For the most part I believe that the bike simply "feels" faster because the exhaust note sounds so much better to my ears.
Alright... Pulled the trigger and ordered the Arrow mainly because I like to have the option of two different sounds (with and w/o Db killer).

I agree with our esteemed founder that replacing the word "noise" with "sound" or "tone" takes the unpleasant out of the equation.

Now... Where's that spot weld that needs removal?

:biker:
 
I'm in the "tone" camp. The only company that makes slip-ons for the DLX is Over Racing. Fortunately, they sound great! They are not obnoxiously loud or annoying. There is a sweet "bwaaap" when I twist the throttle and sound sweet under load. IMHO, they make the bike sound the way it should sound.
It's way too quiet from the factory. Also, I've always thought the factory pipes looked a bit too wide, and I like the way the Over Racing slip-ons taper at the end.
 
The stock muffler makes noise, just not much of it. But even that statement depends on what you are comparing the sound it does make to. But is not without sound...so it makes noise. It doesn't make tone. An aftermarket exhaust is louder, it makes more noise. The pleasantness of noise determines it's tone. Not the volume, and that pleasantness is purely subjective. Noise can be quantitatively measured with a decible meter. Tone can not. I'm guessing the difference between a stock exhaust and an aftermarket exhaust could be measured with a decibel meter and rated in DBs or decibels. Therefore it is a measurement of noise and not of tone. I'm guessing if an aftermarket exhaust were no louder than a stock exhaust, very few would be sold.

Substitute tone or sound in my statement if it makes you feel better. Makes no difference to me. Fact is an aftermarket exhaust is louder (more dbs) so it makes more noise than a stock system whether you like my tone or the sound of that description or not. See what I did there lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
The stock muffler makes noise, just not much of it. But even that statement depends on what you are comparing the sound it does make to. But is not without sound...so it makes noise. It doesn't make tone. An aftermarket exhaust is louder, it makes more noise. The pleasantness of noise determines it's tone. Not the volume, and that pleasantness is purely subjective. Noise can be quantitatively measured with a decible meter. Tone can not. I'm guessing the difference between a stock exhaust and an aftermarket exhaust could be measured with a decibel meter and rated in DBs or decibels. Therefore it is a measurement of noise and not of tone. I'm guessing if an aftermarket exhaust were no louder than a stock exhaust, very few would be sold.

Substitute tone or sound in my statement if it makes you feel better. Makes no difference to me. Fact is an aftermarket exhaust is louder (more dbs) so it makes more noise than a stock system whether you like my tone or the sound of that description or not. See what I did there lol
Let's agree to disagree on this subject, Mr. Ferret. These themes can go south at the speed of noise... Oh, wait... there's no such thing. All noises are sounds, or a mix thereof, but not all sounds are noise.

One man's sound is another man's noise.

:cool:
 
I see what is happening.. You see the word "noise" as a negative, and I don't. To me has has no negative or no positive connotations. It's just a noun until you add an adjective such as " irritating" or "soothing", or " loud" or " comforting".

Must be the writer in me.

Been watching two grandson since 7:30 a.m. Going to go for a relaxing ride now. See ya
 
The ferret_imp said:
I see what is happening.. You see the word "noise" as a negative, and I don't. To me has has no negative or no positive connotations. It's just a noun until you add an adjective such as " irritating" or "soothing", or " loud" or " comforting".

Must be the writer in me.

Been watching two grandson since 7:30 a.m. Going to go for a relaxing ride now. See ya
As sound is energy creating pressure variations that the human ear can discern and noise is a subjective interpretation of some sounds (some times even cultural, for example rap music to me is noise) the scientist in me tells me that we still have to agree to disagree.

:D

That Arrow that I have on the way is going to sound like Pyotr Ilych! :banana:
 
The ferret raises a good point. If I'm being totally honest, I suppose that I was disappointed in both the level of noise and the overall tone of the stock exhaust, lol. I like to be able to hear some feedback from my bike while riding and I sure wasn't getting much of that with the stock exhaust.

While I wouldn't call the Staintune exhaust on the CB1100 "loud" (it certainly sounds tame compared to sport bikes for example), no doubt it is surely measurably louder than the stock exhaust. Of course that isn't saying much. Other than db levels, which are measurable, everything else is subjective as ferret has pointed out.

One of the most subjective categories of all is riding pleasure. I can't measure riding pleasure in a way that allows me to put a number on it. Fortunately, I don't need measurements to know that the riding pleasure I get from my CB1100 increased noticeably with the addition of the Staintune.

Hope you enjoy the Arrow unit Nemo!
 
Back
Top