Arrow slip on, amazing!

Kawiboy_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I finally got my Arrow slip on for my 2014 CB1100. Easy to install, I just had to knock off the spot welded tab and remove the DB killer. Darn thing power wheelies in first gear now!. Very strong midrange. Sound is still mellow...ish, kinda like a Kerker with the quiet baffle back in the old days. Fit and finish are awesome.
 
I too have the Arrow slip and I'm very satisfied with it as well, especially for the price. Sounds great too. And looks similar to stock, just smaller and lighter.
 
MikeOxbig_imp said:
I too have the Arrow slip and I'm very satisfied with it as well, especially for the price. Sounds great too. And looks similar to stock, just smaller and lighter.
Same reasons I love mine. I don't think it sounds mellow at all with the baffle out. When I first took it out to the canyons I kept thinking there was a biplane or something right above me. It's nice to know I have the option to quiet it down if I go on a longer trip, too.
 
Kawiboy_imp said:
I finally got my Arrow slip on for my 2014 CB1100. Easy to install, I just had to knock off the spot welded tab and remove the DB killer. Darn thing power wheelies in first gear now!. Very strong midrange. Sound is still mellow...ish, kinda like a Kerker with the quiet baffle back in the old days. Fit and finish are awesome.
What is a "DB Killer?"
 
As, I am not in need of a new muffler yet (BTW, how many miles/years before typical replacement), am I missing something from the specs?

From the company's spec graph, at typical highway cruising rpms (depending on year and sprocket mods - lol) 3-4K no net gain unless above 3850. At full throttle, only 3.5hp. AND those gains are only possible if DB killer is removed. Couldn't you get the same with the stock if you remeoved the "db killer" equivalent?

 
Aftermarket mufflers are of a completely different design than the factory units. There is a couple of threads here from guys modding the factory muffler, and it's not easy or simple.

I guess that's not an entirely fair statement because easy is a relative term I guess, but I digress....
 
Stock pipe usually not replaced for the power..it's for the noise
 
The ferret_imp said:
Stock pipe usually not replaced for the power..it's for the noise
Thanks for the easy to understand answer. I had all the "noise" I needed on a 1100 V-twin cruiser with stock pipes. I shudder to think how much louder it would have been if I had installed the Cobra straight pipes that were thrown in on the purchase. I'm gonna stick with the putt putt stock muffler.
 
Stock mufflers are built very well, I can't see one wearing out or rusting out (which they used to do as you looked at them).

Modern motors are built as a system and hp increases are harder to come by (and easier to lose) unless you take a system wide approach to power increases.

I'm still trying to make the noise in my helmet die down. :P Wind buffet.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Stock pipe usually not replaced for the power..it's for the noise
That not entirely true. I've gained probably 8-10 hp with a full system pc5 etc. For something as simple as unbolting an exhaust and rebolting a new one that's pretty drastic. I. Fact there's little else you can do without cam work to get more power. Arrow makes race exhausts and they make power i have their 4-2-1 header and im very happy with it. For just a slip on 4 hp at 6500 rpm is not bad espessially considering it looks and sounds better than the stock unit. Other more free flowing slip ons have been reported to give gains in the range of 6hp at 7500 rpm which is outstanding. To me the 3500 rpm scenario is a moot point. That's cruising rpm if you want power from an in line 4 your going to have to Rev it. IMHO of course
 
The ferret_imp said:
Stock pipe usually not replaced for the power..it's for the noise

First of all I agree with the Ferret. When I trashed my OEM I chose the Staintune as replacement as I preferred the noise to the OEM. Secondly, I agree with other members, Chip for example, who also prefer the look of the Staintune. Someone on the forum, less kind than I, said the OEM would look appropriate for a steam train.

Rboe_imp said:
Stock mufflers are built very well, I can't see one wearing out or rusting out (which they used to do as you looked at them).

Modern motors are built as a system and hp increases are harder to come by (and easier to lose) unless you take a system wide approach to power increases.

I'm still trying to make the noise in my helmet die down. :P Wind buffet.
HP increase of 3 or 5 isn't going to turn the CB into a wheelie monster. Still needs to be clutched up.

Noise? Get a set of Bose QC20 or 20i noise cancelling in-ears. Done 50000+kms with those little rippers and still luvem. Expense is countered by the plugs and other poor noise reduction things I could have bought in the meantime.

Cheers
 
Brookland27_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Stock pipe usually not replaced for the power..it's for the noise
That not entirely true. I've gained probably 8-10 hp with a full system pc5 etc. For something as simple as unbolting an exhaust and rebolting a new one that's pretty drastic. I. Fact there's little else you can do without cam work to get more power. Arrow makes race exhausts and they make power i have their 4-2-1 header and im very happy with it. For just a slip on 4 hp at 6500 rpm is not bad espessially considering it looks and sounds better than the stock unit. Other more free flowing slip ons have been reported to give gains in the range of 6hp at 7500 rpm which is outstanding. To me the 3500 rpm scenario is a moot point. That's cruising rpm if you want power from an in line 4 your going to have to Rev it. IMHO of course
That not entirely true. I've gained probably 8-10 hp with a full system pc5 etc. For something as simple as unbolting an exhaust and rebolting a new one that's pretty drastic. I. Fact there's little else you can do without cam work to get more power. Arrow makes race exhausts and they make power i have their 4-2-1 header and im very happy with it. For just a slip on 4 hp at 6500 rpm is not bad espessially considering it looks and sounds better than the stock unit. Other more free flowing slip ons have been reported to give gains in the range of 6hp at 7500 rpm which is outstanding. To me the 3500 rpm scenario is a moot point. That's cruising rpm if you want power from an in line 4 your going to have to Rev it. IMHO of course
Yes, not entirely true but in our forum exhaust poll 87.5 percent changed their exhaust for looks and noise, so 9 out of 10 did not do it for the power

Poll: What kind of exhaust are you running?

When you say "I've gained probably 8-10 hp " did you verify that with dyno runs? We have not had a single member (dyno verified) gain 10 hp with any combination of mods including a full system, pc tune and reflash.

I think 2 Bros advertised a 6 or 7 hp gain with their slip on but members have not realized that same gain with their personal bikes. Most with just slip ons who have posted their dyno sheets have been gaining maybe 3 hp in the upper rev range. But that doesn't matter as long as they are happy with their pipes.

I'm not saying don't change your exhaust, but members must be realistic in their expectations when making this mod. Chasing HP on this motorcycle is an expensive exercise in frustration.

Here is an interesting thread with a link to some dyno runs by forum members

Best Dyno HP numbers?
 
I'm confused at times with some posts. The reason I purchased the CB1100 is to have a great ride driving around town and cruising. I feel that is this bikes purpose in life. If I wanted something like a CBR1000RR or a Goldwing, I would have purchased one vs trying to turn a CB1100 into one. That goes for HP (although there is never enough), Noise, Shocks, Exhausts, ... I am all for improving with farkles catered to one's particular needs & desires, but major structural Redesign at high cost seems _________ (fill in your own words for the blank). I'm doing a major sprocket revision, but that I feel is required and thanks to 7GD within a reasonable expense. Had it been on the order of some posts, I would have lived with it or sold the 1100. I'm just more into keeping things as stock as possible.
 
rbike, I'm with you on this. The adds I have made were mostly to have a more safe and comfortable riding machine--not a louder one. My original purpose for buying the CB1100 was to have a lighter, more maneuverable cycle for quick trips to get groceries, etc, thus the need for saddle bags and a tail bag. For the pleasure rides the highway pegs are real winners and the seat improvements have helped tremendously. However, I'm not sure what the purpose of the RLETS is, but it seemed the thing to do.
 
White Dog_imp said:
rbike, I'm with you on this. The adds I have made were mostly to have a more safe and comfortable riding machine--not a louder one. My original purpose for buying the CB1100 was to have a lighter, more maneuverable cycle for quick trips to get groceries, etc, thus the need for saddle bags and a tail bag. For the pleasure rides the highway pegs are real winners and the seat improvements have helped tremendously. However, I'm not sure what the purpose of the RLETS is, but it seemed the thing to do.
RLETS are installed to tone down the effect of farkles and the stunning beauty of the CB1100.

If I install an after market exhaust, it will be to improve the look over the OEM which appears a bit "chunky" for the CB.
 
Ferret havent had the bike dynod yet but hope to soon it was a seat of the pants estimate. May be my imagination pretending my bike is as fast as it sounds. Anyways we've hijacked another thread with purists vs performance junkie drivel. Arrow makes a nice muffler. It looks great, sounds great, and gives a few more ponies which I find great. Thanks for sharing.
 
Back
Top