Arrow Pro-Racing nichrom Silencers

Macduff_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I decided to fit some aftermarket exhausts to my CB11RS as I felt the stock cans were a bit too muted. And if I had the misfortune to damage them they were rather expensive to replace at around 750UKP each. The arrow pro-racing cans looked good and kept the retro look so I decided to get a pair though there doesnt appear to be a lot of choice at the moment for the '17 RS/EX here in the UK if you dont want to ship stuff in from Japan so its handy that these look good. Arrow - Honda CB 1100 EX/RS 2017.
The only other choice was black or natural stainless, I nearly chose black but wasnt sure on the durability of the finish or resistance to chipping/scratches etc so went with natural stainless (which was also a good bit cheaper!) .
.
As shipped with the baffles in the sound was surprisingly muted with only a hint of a bit more throatiness if I gave the throttle a big blip, but at idle I was hard pushed to tell the difference, however they may get a little fruitier with miles as Arrow recommend repacking every x thousand miles.
The baffles appear to be removable but will void the warranty if extracted, I'm not sure what the failure risk is when removed apart from blowing the packing material out faster and increased risk of heat discolouration due to lost packing. There appears to be a telltale tang that will need dremelling to get the baffle out so it will be an easy task for Arrow to identify a baffle that has been re inserted.
 
They look pretty good Macduff.
 
I like 'em. Those are the best looking so far. I wish we got the RS/EX version over here . And I wish the price was $8,995.00 . Hey , just wishing.....
 
They go splendidly with the RS
 
That sounds pretty raspy. Bet it sounds good at full song (always liked that expression)

I'm amazed you can take a video with a phone and post it here. Crazy world.
 
simply dont understand why the arrow doesnt look just like that for the older ones
if it did mine would be on already
 
Ferret it wouldn't surprise me if your Ferret cam will take videos too. Most cameras do nowadays.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
That sounds pretty raspy. Bet it sounds good at full song (always liked that expression)

I'm amazed you can take a video with a phone and post it here. Crazy world.
They definitely don't have that rasp listening to them by the bike. I gave it a bit of revs on a short ride and it didn;t sound much fruitier than stock though I suspect it is (a little) . They seem very much designed not to exceed homologated noise standards with the baffles in.
 
Thread starter
Well it would appear that I can resist everything but temptation. Pulled the baffles from the cans, Very easy to do, the tang just snaps off with the flick of a small flat blade screwdriver , the baffles are held in with a large circlip which is relatively easy to remove if you have decent circlip pliers. Mine appear to be cheap nasty circlip pliers so kept slipping out before I got the clip compressed enough to remove (its large so fairly strong). ANyway after a few attempts the clips were out and the baffles were easy to pull with a light tug using some pliers.
Sound wise at idle is a lot deeper but not obnoxious , I didn't bother recording it as the mic on iPhone maxed out with baffles it wouldn't have coped with the airwave pressure increase without baffles. On the move its a lot more sporty sounding but still not obnoxious. Both my other bikes are louder and they either have original oem exhausts (ducati) or a UK BS stamped can (GSXR) though these are from an era when noise regs were a lot more relaxed (mid 90s duc, mid 80s Suzuki). Overall I'd say without baffles its probably sounds more like an 80s IL4 UJM would back in the 80s on the OEM exhaust, probably more like a Z1000 Kwaks as I recall the 80s CB(900) Hondas were still more silenced than the equivalent Kwak.
Anyway I'm glad its not obnoxiously anti social , will have to see how it ages.
 
Thread starter
Last update (until something changes). I had fun being an oike for a week or so with the rorty CB but after riding in at a steady speed when I just wanted to chill and enjoy the scenery it was too much droan for my eardrums. So the baffles are back in. I suspect if a chap could be bothered the stock baffles could be tweaked for a little more sound either by shortening them or adding more holes, but I've better things to do with my time such as sitting on my backside posting crap on t'interweb.
 
I did some on my stock exhaust too. Gotta admit that stock exhaust is pretty quiet though. I was thinking about aftermarket exhaust options but then changed my mind and made some try on opening up holes, make the 3 available holes bigger instead of adding more holes. I have enlarged them up to 6mm instead of 4mm as stock, and it sounds abit better :). 9500km now and i'm happy with that :)

Macduff_imp said:
Last update (until something changes). I had fun being an oike for a week or so with the rorty CB but after riding in at a steady speed when I just wanted to chill and enjoy the scenery it was too much droan for my eardrums. So the baffles are back in. I suspect if a chap could be bothered the stock baffles could be tweaked for a little more sound either by shortening them or adding more holes, but I've better things to do with my time such as sitting on my backside posting crap on t'interweb.
 
Thread starter
Regarding stock exhaust on the '17 RS There doesn't appear to be an ( easy?) option for drilling holes to make more noise (not that I intend to do that), and to ensure I can get my oike fix for bike music I've just purchased a re-creation Yoshimura Cyclone stainless steel exhaust for my '86 Suzuki GSX-R750. This most likely means I'll leave the baffles in unmodified on the RS.
 
Macduff_imp said:
Last update (until something changes). I had fun being an oike for a week or so with the rorty CB but after riding in at a steady speed when I just wanted to chill and enjoy the scenery it was too much droan for my eardrums. So the baffles are back in. I suspect if a chap could be bothered the stock baffles could be tweaked for a little more sound either by shortening them or adding more holes, but I've better things to do with my time such as sitting on my backside posting crap on t'interweb.
Just curious if ear plugs would be enough to quite down the done to acceptable levels. I currently use plugs all the time, and was considering the arrow slip on.
 
:rofl: love it... Put on pipes to make it louder, then plug your ears so you can't hear it
 
The ferret_imp said:
:rofl: love it... Put on pipes to make it louder, then plug your ears so you can't hear it
Because loosing ones hearing is so much better good point. I can hear the stock exhaust while using ear plugs. some may want louder pipes for different reasons, other than just being an annoying rider to the public.
 
Back
Top