Are the black standards attracting younger riders?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Seems our last 1/2 dozen or so new members have been younger guys all buying black stds.

I believe on our age survey before about 70% of owners prior to the blk stds were 46 years old and above.

Average CB1100 Rider Age

Wonder if that was something Honda had planned on?
 
The blacked out look seems to be popular these days in all kind of things.....cars/wheels, motorcycles, bicycles, etc.
Although I think black vehicles look good,( for other people) they don't fit my personality, on my recent BMW 328i purchase, black was off my list.
I'm 50+ and I like chrome :-)
I do buy more black clothes now than I used to, seesm easier to match.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Seems our last 1/2 dozen or so new members have been younger guys all buying black stds.

I believe on our age survey before about 70% of owners prior to the blk stds were 46 years old and above.

Average CB1100 Rider Age

Wonder if that was something Honda had planned on?
Its an interesting topic you bring up Ferret.
I would have purchased one had I the option...living in Canada we get blue only-mind you I love my bike, but I would have purchased black in a heartbeat if I had the choice to do so. In fact-I tried to import a black one from the USA- but it was just too complicated and expensive a venture.
Now at 53-I might be older than the target demographic? But I love the look of the black bike. And I would guess you are onto something with the black and the younger demographic as well.
In the end I settled for a great deal on a Canadian blue CB from my local Honda shop. However-I am already scheming a potential custom paint job 'next' year that would be...you guessed it: all black ;)
 
Thread starter
I love my red bike, but would have been happy with a black DLX or black EX ..black paint and side covers, silver motor and wheels chrome fenders, chrome 4 into 2 exhaust.Black and chrome look good together. The black standards are too dark for me but they seem to appeal to the younger crowd...well that's how it appears to me anyway.
 
I'm with you Ferret...I think the blacked-out bikes are marketed toward a younger crowd...or those that want to look younger ;)

I like the lighter, brighter colours...and they are easier to keep clean. The only way I would have bought a "black" bike is if it still had plenty of chrome, a silver engine and bright anodized casings.

To me, the blacked-out bikes look too much like some high school kid had his way with them using a rattle can of black Tremclad.
 
I had my choice of a standard black 14 or a standard 13 and I picked the 13 at the same price because of color ... I like black ,however, its just too much for me as well Ferret. Now if it had a silver engine and bright anodized casings I may have chose the 14 because I do like the 6th gear for sure ...but in the end .... I was just so taken by the candy red and the way the silver sides blended in with the bike ... well,... I 've never saw a more beautiful bike ... That's my opinion ... I never get tired of looking at the 13 CB1100 ..... I feel like Honda built it especially for me ...lol.... I'm 45 this month (March) .....and I can remember so well my little red Honda XL 80 that I rode all over the place when I was 14 years old .. I had a 7 mile radius motorcycle license which allowed me to go to work at an early age along with having a single parent and a hardship license ... guess I had to grow up too soon but that little Red Honda XL 80 was an important part of my life .... when I first saw the red 13 Cb1100.... I HAD to have it ...........anyways ... Black is killer ... but the RED is for me .. lol
 
I really like the black a lot but people are already not seeing motorcyclists so any color at all to attract their attention is a good thing, both with bike and the rider's clothes. The black paint on the CB is anything but rattle can. Black chrome on the motor. It looks REALLY nice in person.
 
I'm not sure what you classify as young. But I'm 36 and Black, dark blue, or white are the only colors I would consider buying. Last two aren't available to me. So I have black. Of course all CB 1100's are beautiful !! As for an age thing, I don't think it is. I've liked the same looks and colors my entire life and I can't imagine my color preference changing as I get older.


Honda still might be targeting though .
 
The '14 has six speeds that's what sold me. Plus the bike looks much meaner in black than red. Red looks more classic the black adds a little more sportier look to it. Cafe/Standard bikes are becoming really popular with people my age mid to late 20s. As far as being visible I don't think the red tank will make a huge difference. If thats the goal you should ride a bright green kawasaki
 
Thread starter
in our survey there are

3.68% in age group 16-25
13.10% 26-35
14.02% 36-45
31.26% 46-55
29.66% 55-65
7.36% 66-75
0.92% 75+

I think the black standard will change the 26-35 demographic percentage the most.

Looks like Holy fits into that demographic and JF is only 1 year out of that demographic but admits to always liking that look. Still the bottom 3 age groups only make up 30% of those responding to the survey (and nearly half of those were 36 and older) while those older than 45 make up 70%. Clearly the younger demographics weren't buying this bike and maybe blacking it out was Hondas way of grabbing those riders.
 
I'm with HikerT00, I like chrome and aluminum cases.
Matt black doesn't do a thing for me. Gloss black is OK since you can polish it.
Whether the blacked out look is attracting the younger folks, I don't know. Could be.
Only 0.92% of us oldsters? That's gotta change :D
 
The ferret_imp said:
I love my red bike, but would have been happy with a black DLX or black EX ..black paint and side covers, silver motor and wheels chrome fenders, chrome 4 into 2 exhaust.Black and chrome look good together. The black standards are too dark for me but they seem to appeal to the younger crowd...well that's how it appears to me anyway.
I'm right there with you on that. I am one of those youngsters that bought a black 2014 recently and was wishing that the engine and wheels had been silver like the one that's available in Japan.

Japan - Deluxe:
America - Standard:
 
I like them all :) I really enjoy the fact that whatever platform one chooses, there is a plethora of items and ways to make it truly one's own.
I think Eric's CBDLX will probably transform into a number of iterations through it's period of ownership. Headed in the semi-cafe direction as of now ;)
 
The ferret_imp said:
I love my red bike, but would have been happy with a black DLX or black EX ..black paint and side covers, silver motor and wheels chrome fenders, chrome 4 into 2 exhaust.Black and chrome look good together. The black standards are too dark for me but they seem to appeal to the younger crowd...well that's how it appears to me anyway.
You bring up a great point Ferret- the combination of black 'and' chrome is the ideal (IMO). All black might be a bit too much, but black and chrome gives the CB a classic look (again-JMO).
Just a bit of a clarification I suppose. When/if I paint my bike -it will be tank only. Incidentally I picked up a Road Comet from Mt T recently in black (not blue).
JPX_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I love my red bike, but would have been happy with a black DLX or black EX ..black paint and side covers, silver motor and wheels chrome fenders, chrome 4 into 2 exhaust.Black and chrome look good together. The black standards are too dark for me but they seem to appeal to the younger crowd...well that's how it appears to me anyway.
I'm right there with you on that. I am one of those youngsters that bought a black 2014 recently and was wishing that the engine and wheels had been silver like the one that's available in Japan.

Japan - Deluxe:
America - Standard:
I'm right there with you on that. I am one of those youngsters that bought a black 2014 recently and was wishing that the engine and wheels had been silver like the one that's available in Japan.

Beautiful looking machine!
 
a) I thought a Semi Cafe was fancy name for truckstop. ;)

b) You've probably mentioned this numerous times, MotoGeezer and I have just been too dense to see it, but it seems like you ride Eric's bike more than Eric does. That's awesome, but I wondered why that is and if it bugs him. My son does not like me playing with his toys, but he's a bit selfish LOL

c) I like them all, too, and I love the CB1100's versatility. With a few changes it can be a cafe racer. or a cruiser. or a sport tourer. or...or..or.

d) ironic that young guns seem to like the black bike, it being the slower version and all. :rofl:
 
Thread starter
jrns.. there are guys on this forum that would LOVE to have your blue tank, unfortunately I don't think any of them are riding black ones so you couldn't swap. I think they are all riding red ones.

BTW when I was in my early 20's I went to look at a used 69 BSA Rocket 3 750 triple. Being a motorcycle nut I knew they came in either red or green. I was ok either way. When I get there the motorcycle is black. I asked the guy how he got a black one and he said he had it stripped and painted before it left the dealership that "motorcycles are supposed to be black" lol. Yea, I bought it. Neat bike.
 
nhawk7504_imp said:
I really like the black a lot but people are already not seeing motorcyclists so any color at all to attract their attention is a good thing, both with bike and the rider's clothes. The black paint on the CB is anything but rattle can. Black chrome on the motor. It looks REALLY nice in person.
My experience with being seen is having the headlight on ( i am planning on doing the modulation mod this spring) and a white helmet. I can spot a white helmet a mile way and think others can also. As far as some drivers, it wouldn't matter what we wear, they are so oblivious to everyone they are just an accident waiting to happen.

I agree with the black being attractive to the younger guys, it does look good. But i really like my Honda to be red and that was part of the attraction of this bike to me.
 
JPX_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I love my red bike, but would have been happy with a black DLX or black EX ..black paint and side covers, silver motor and wheels chrome fenders, chrome 4 into 2 exhaust.Black and chrome look good together. The black standards are too dark for me but they seem to appeal to the younger crowd...well that's how it appears to me anyway.
I'm right there with you on that. I am one of those youngsters that bought a black 2014 recently and was wishing that the engine and wheels had been silver like the one that's available in Japan.

Japan - Deluxe:
America - Standard:
I'm right there with you on that. I am one of those youngsters that bought a black 2014 recently and was wishing that the engine and wheels had been silver like the one that's available in Japan.

I have a red '13 that I like, but your black with spoked wheels and black Comet is the best-looking CB1100 I have seen!! I think the Comet looks best in black. hadn't seen it before.
 
I have owned mostly blue motorcycles, Hondas being the exception (either red or orange). There was also one black bike which was a bike marketed to younger riders (Kawasaki KLX250SF supermoto ). Side by side, I prefer the 2014 Standard to my 2013 Red. The blacked out 2014 is a thing of beauty to my 33 year old eyes. I like how the chrome pieces pick up and reflects all the black, so there is less contrast. If I could have a 2014 standard with black rimmed wire wheels and ABS, that would be sweet.
 
The ferret_imp said:
jrns.. there are guys on this forum that would LOVE to have your blue tank, unfortunately I don't think any of them are riding black ones so you couldn't swap. I think they are all riding red ones.

BTW when I was in my early 20's I went to look at a used 69 BSA Rocket 3 750 triple. Being a motorcycle nut I knew they came in either red or green. I was ok either way. When I get there the motorcycle is black. I asked the guy how he got a black one and he said he had it stripped and painted before it left the dealership that "motorcycles are supposed to be black" lol. Yea, I bought it. Neat bike.
what a classic bike that must have been Ferret ..in any color! :)
and...i should be more appreciative-love my CB... again-in any color!
 
Back
Top