Are motorcyclists transients unable to be satisfied?

Ferret, Did your old ST shock pre-load still work? Mine doesn't do anything and I am debating trying the refill the pre-loader fix or fighting the dealer for a warranty replacement.
 
My moto- promiscuity knows few bounds. My issue is selling rather than buying. I really don't like to sell anything, and generally regret each sale deeply...even bikes that treated me poorly, like the Griso and RC51. I would happily own another of each again. I have reached my upper limit in terms of bikes, not so much because of a lack of desire, but time, garage space and, increasingly, a lack of desire to do the work to keep the fleet provisioned for duty. I love garage time, but anything deeper than basic maintenance and farkling...oops, sorry, banned word...is no longer fun for me. Thankfully, I have The Bike Whisperer, Frank at Sun Cycle, around the block from me to handle things when needed.

I set out, once midlife arrived, to put together a small 'mutual fund' of bikes and a fun car, all for less than the price of a Porsche 911, And I would buy and sell to keep within an allotted range. A used Lotus Elise provides the car fun, cheap and cheerful to run and worth what I paid for it 7 years ago. Won't sell it until they need the Jaws of Life to extract me from it's narrow doors and foot- wide sills. On the bike side, some of my old bikes are worth a good bit more than I paid, and each of them are rideable. I'll sell them when I must, but not before. I fund newer whimseys on what I stash above and beyond living, college and retirement funds, so I'm fairly guilt- free.

But, I've seen the horizon, and want to scale back a bit now. I have a few spare bikes and a project that I'll never get to. But i need a track bike!!
 
I'm happy to have one reliable bike at this point. As long as the CB Is reliable, I have no reason to consider changing. Besides that, I put too many miles on it and the value is likely dropping faster than I'm paying off the loan anyway.
 
I'm going to keep mine until I'm in a wheel chair and I'll still have someone wheel me out and have them start it so I can listen to it ;-)
I might do like that insurance commercial and have them load it into a trailer and tow me around while sitting on it (I wonder is that is legal).
 
Offroad, it worked for Ponch and Jon :P
 
I should get down to two bikes, but not sure which ones to purge. I doubt the CB will the one to go.
 
Unable to be satisfied? Probably, at least in part.

The first bike I ever really wanted was an '87 HD Heritage Softail. This was in '88 and the bike was a leftover. $7500.00 out the door. I had never ridden before, didn't even have my license, but I wanted it.

Took the MSF course right away and started plotting how I was going to get that bike. Riding vets advised not to start on a bike of that size, and I saw the wisdom in that, so by spring '90 I rolled out of Camden County Harley with a brand new Sportster.

I still really wanted the big bike though. Rode the Sporty for four months and then traded it right back in for an FXRS Low Rider. Loved that bike and kept it for two years but the Softail bug would not go away so in '92 I finally got my Heritage. What an awesome bike.

And I didn't like it.

Spring '93 saw that bike go and a new FXLR Low Rider Custom found its way into the garage. My favorite HD of all time. Kept that bike till '96 when I bought a concurrent CBR600RR. No intent to get rid of the Hog but the CB had stolen my heart.

The pattern was now set and I would never again be loyal to any one bike. There have been around 20 other bikes since that CB at a rate of about one per year.

I blame part of it on the fact that I'll trade or sell a bike on a whim. The rest of the blame goes to Motorcycle mags with glossy pics and catchy copy. I'm such a sucker for that stuff.

In another year l'll have the CB for almost as long as I had that FXLR. Unless I sell it.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ferret, Did your old ST shock pre-load still work? Mine doesn't do anything and I am debating trying the refill the pre-loader fix or fighting the dealer for a warranty replacement.

Popgun don't know, can't get the shock put on for a few weeks. Will let you know then. Are you talking the big handled knob behind your left thigh, or the screw you reach thru the swingarm?

Because of the ridiculously low gvrw on is what is supposed to be a 2 up bike, my big knob has been cranked all the way in since the day I bought it.. 8 years and 72,000k miles ago. I'm not sure what is worn out the knob thingy or the shock, it just doesn't feel like I remember it feeling anymore when my wife is on back, and I seem to reach the ground easier so I figured the shock was shot. Who knows?
 
Ferret, yeah, the big knob. Supposed to feel it setting pre-load after maybe 3 turns according to the ST guys. Mine will turn all the way in without doing anything that I can tell. The DIY fix is to refill the little reservoir that is part of the knob assm. (it can be done) Honda fix is new shock.
 
Thread starter
Yea I dont know. I can turn mine, it makes a clicking sound and it you can see it moving from hard to soft of the scale, but I can't tell you if its actually doing anything. The new shock didnt come with that part, just the shock with a hose attached to it.
 
This is one of the most interesting threads I have ever read on any forum! I thought I was alone. I used to go to car shows and talk to some of the owners. I met an older gentleman that had a 4dr Oldsmobile that he bought new and kept it for 40 years. I asked how is it that you never upgraded to something newer over the years. He said he just liked the car so much he didn't need to sell it. I wish I was as satisfied and content at owning a bike. I got started riding because of a TV show called Then Came Bronson and have been riding ever since 1971! I have owned a bunch of bikes over the years including several new and used Sportsters because of a one season TV show. I buy bikes based on the type of riding I want to do and maybe I just go through phases. I am picking up a new 2013 CB1100 tomorrow and hope that it satisfies me for a long time. I hate loosing money buying and selling bikes. I know there is no one perfect bike, but my quest continues!
 
For me riding the CB checks all the boxes. I've ridden it on long distance days, short rides and just around town. I still have my very first bike, a 1967 Honda 305 scrambler all original and running. Yes, I said running and that bike is now 50 years young! Amazing engineering then... and amazing engineering now. That bike serves as a bench mark on how far motorcycles have come. We just turn the key and push the button and have no worries. It's the experience of riding I enjoy and not necessarily the destination now. Grateful to keep the rubber side down. Russ
 
Thread starter
Cooldrum..very cool, post up some pictures. WHen I got my 67 CL77 305 Scrambler in 1968 I was moving up from a CB160 and the 305 was huge! My goodness it would run over 90 mph. All the power I would ever need. Unfortunately a lady in a 54 Dodge turned in front of me and I planted it in her passenger door and totalled it.

Got a chance to sit on one lately and it was much smaller than I had remembered... And I was much bigger lol
 
Ferret, our Honda chapters almost match for a while. My first Honda, a CB 160 (felt immensely powerful after my Vespa scooter) followed in 1967 by a new 305 Super Hawk. Went to a CL 450 (5-speed, my gosh) when it first came out and it lasted 5 months before it was stolen and never seen again. Around 1971 a 500/Four appeared and was kept for about 50,000 miles before a head gasket leak appeared and I sold it. No more Hondas for quite a while until a VTR 1000 found its way into my garage. It stayed for a couple of years until it developed a cam chain tensioner problem and I traded it for a Suzuki SV650. A gap in Hondas again until my latest "fix," the CB1100. This one's certainly the best and reminds me most of of my CB500/4.
 
I always wanted a CB500-4. I didn't ever own a CB350, but back in the day they seemed all the bike I'd ever need if only I could afford it.
 
I tend to keep my cars at least 15 years. I've had about two dozen bikes in the past twenty years. Some I've enjoyed for a few years and then sold, just for something different, but my current bikes feel like keepers (well, perhaps not the Monster). I think back to the Honda's I owned in the 70's (two CB750's and a CB400F). I don't miss them.
 
I'm actually rather satisfied with my CB500. Renthal Ultra lows, Penske three way shock from GMDComputrack Boston, Corbin seat, 17 tooth front. Summer number two with it. I don't need more motor. It's light weight exposes bad pavement no matter what but it's quite comfy and I can rev the snot out of it if I want. Half a CBR1000 motor basically. I've bought and sold a lot of bikes over the years. Getting into the latter half of my fifties, a little more plushness would be nice, sometimes, but I don't like climbing on high, plush machines. The CB motor is a peach. Oh and the Michelin Pilot 2's turn in and lean as far as you want to go. Push the bar down and turn as far as you want.

 
Thread starter
LOL reading back thru this thread which I attached to another thread has been fun.

BTW my CB DLX which had 10,000 miles when this thread started and now has just over 36,000 miles on it, and my ST which had 53,000 miles in post number one is about to turn 103,000 miles in the next couple of days.

still live in the same house and married to the same woman lol
 
The obsession with motorcycles is not transient. No one who really has it ever gets "cured" of it.

It is expressed in different ways depending on the personality.

It's not about money; some riders with plenty still only have one bike.

Others with limited finances spend themselves into the poorhouse with multiple bikes, tons of accessories, and so on.

So the motorcycles themselves may be transient in the life of an individual rider, but they remain a motorcycle to whomever is riding them.

When I had much more limited finances, and could only own one or perhaps two bikes at once, I really believe I had a lot more real fun.

That one bike would serve every purpose: touring, sport riding, commuting, you name it. I got to know that one bike and it was attuned to my riding styles.

Now I have a bunch of bikes. I ride a lot but it's hard to find the time to put equal miles on them. It's also, frankly, a pain to move them around in the garage, to make sure those in storage are properly maintained with fully-charged batteries and fuel preservative so they'll start and run properly. And where I could get a bike set up and working for me within a few months (usually takes about 10,000 miles) it now takes about two to three years to get that kind of comfort on any given bike.

Sure, it's great to have several machines but you can only ride one at a time.

Next year I'm going to cut the fleet back and may yet buy another CB1100 (EX this time) because the darn thing just does everything pretty darn well.

And no darn farkles necessary.
 
Back
Top