the Ferret
Road warrior
Thread starter
Nice collection Tezza.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Ferret,The ferret_imp said:Hb900 .. You sound like my buddy Jim. He's had 3 or 4 Versys. Last one he sold, backed out of the deal and gave the guy his money back, rode it another couple months, and then sold it again. He say's it's still his favorite bike ( He's had 3 FZ-1's, 2 Fatboys and and FJR among plenty of others) Just sent me video clips of the 2015 Versys and a youtube of " 3 years with a Versys" documentary by some English fellow THIS MORNING! This after giving up riding " for good" a short time ago. Lol


You of course make some very solid points. I now recognize that my analogy makes light of just how serious the struggle is that any alcoholic or addict faces — I do know a few myself. For this I publicly apologize.CIP57_imp said:I have to personally disagree with the above comments. From a personal prospective I have never been influenced of justified my actions because someone else was either doing it ( on a forum) or said it was okay to do the same. I believe this is the first forum I've been on which a topic like this has even come up for discussion.Guth_imp said:Such behavior doesn't just apply to motorcycles. I feel that the Internet is at least partially to blame (and yes, I get the irony here). There are plenty of other forums out there for just about anything you can imagine: cameras, hi-fi gear, guitars, etc., etc.. On pretty much all of those forums you'll find stories of similar purchasing tendencies. When people start chatting it up with others about a shared interest that they are all fairly obsessive about, their perspective begins to change. Every shortcoming is now being scrutinized not just by themselves, but by all these other guys as well. In addition, when someone acquires the latest and greatest example of whatever it is they are obsessed about, the differences are usually built-up to the extreme (this one blows the old model away in every respect, blah, blah, blah).
Next thing you know, people are itching to do away with something that that they had been pretty happy with in search of something supposedly much better only to end up repeating this cycle over and over again. Behavior which might have struck someone as excessive when examined in isolation no longer seems so abnormal in a forum of like-minded individuals. In turn, for many it becomes easier to justify actions that might not have seemed so normal in the past.
On the extreme side of things, forums like this one are to obsessive-compulsive personalities as taverns are to alcoholics. It's typically more fun to hang out with those who share your vices than those who don't.
(Interestingly, I lifted some of the above text from a post I made on a guitar forum a few years back. The topic was why guys buy so many guitars.)
What you are talking about is justification, how one persons sickness can make you justify your actions. I would consider it more of a compulsive hobby than an addiction and to put it in the same class as a alcoholic to a tavern is just incorrect. The alcoholic or addict has three paths in life, Recovery, jail or death. I don't see someone buying a guitar, surf board, camera equipment or motorcycle going to jail or following those three paths.
Addiction works in the complete opposite of your post, addicts will find people who are as sick as them or worse, then comes isolation, if your one of the lucky one's there will be intervention and recovery.
In your case, I'm guessing without motorcycle forums you would be out riding even more, racking up more time in the saddle than you already manage to fit in now. :biker: You might have a few less headaches as well, but certainly fewer laughs.The ferret_imp said:Tonight, while avoiding the computer (this after finding myself being criticized for my moderating policies on this forum, once again, over on the UK CB forum.....one of the hurtful hazards of being a forum moderator I suppose) I wondered how different my life would be away from influences like computers and motorcycle forums.
I participate in forums because I love motorcycles, love talking about motorcycles, and love discussing different aspects of motorcycling. Internet forums are the best place to find others who also share my proclivity for talking motorcycles. Even if you drop into motorcycle shops, they are most likely not motorcyclists, they are just (mostly young) employees who happen to be working at motorcycle shops. They could be selling refrigerators or carpeting for all their knowledge about motorcycles beyond the models they are selling.
At this point in my life, I am retired. My wife being a couple years younger, still works. My children are grown and gone, busy raising families of their own. I spend most days from 5:45 AM until 6 PM by myself (one of the not discussed drawbacks of retirement). So, I ride my motorcycles and I visit motorcycle forums, mainly this one, but others as well.
I sometimes wish I could be one of those " average" motorcyclists that Guth talks about. Owning one motorcycle of my choosing... without influence, going about my life in blissful abandon, unconcerned with what others think about oil, tires, riding gear, newly introduced motorcycle models....or me. Just living my life.
I wonder .........
Or.....is participating in forums, so important that without them, would I eventually lose interest in motorcycling?
I wonder .........

