Anyone test their ABS yet?

Deanohh_imp said:
If abs worked at very slow speed, it would make it impossible to actually stop.

Sorry, but this statement is NOT correct. The only purpose of ABS (Anti locking Brakes System) is to prevent the brakes from being locked up, so any vehicle operator can still steer it in the desired direction due to the fact that the wheels are still rolling and are not locked up, otherwise one would not be able to maneuver out an obstacle that is in the path of the vehicle direction.
If ABS fails or is not activated, the conventional braking system still works. ABS is just an addition to the conventional braking system.
At the same low speed, ABS engagement will be totally different with a surface that is dry vs covered by ice, test yourself...

ABS does NOT shorten braking distance nor does it stop any vehicle as this is not its function/purpose. Never has and never will.
:)
 
Except that it does shorten controlled (or we might say "effective") braking distance in slick conditions.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
If abs worked at very slow speed, it would make it impossible to actually stop.

Sorry, but this statement is NOT correct. The only purpose of ABS (Anti locking Brakes System) is to prevent the brakes from being locked up, so any vehicle operator can still steer it in the desired direction due to the fact that the wheels are still rolling and are not locked up, otherwise one would not be able to maneuver out an obstacle that is in the path of the vehicle direction.
If ABS fails or is not activated, the conventional braking system still works. ABS is just an addition to the conventional braking system.
At the same low speed, ABS engagement will be totally different with a surface that is dry vs covered by ice, test yourself...

ABS does NOT shorten braking distance nor does it stop any vehicle as this is not its function/purpose. Never has and never will.
:)

Sorry, but this statement is NOT correct. The only purpose of ABS (Anti locking Brakes System) is to prevent the brakes from being locked up, so any vehicle operator can still steer it in the desired direction due to the fact that the wheels are still rolling and are not locked up, otherwise one would not be able to maneuver out an obstacle that is in the path of the vehicle direction.
If ABS fails or is not activated, the conventional braking system still works. ABS is just an addition to the conventional braking system.
At the same low speed, ABS engagement will be totally different with a surface that is dry vs covered by ice, test yourself...

ABS does NOT shorten braking distance nor does it stop any vehicle as this is not its function/purpose. Never has and never will.
:)
+1, if you think you can keep your braking fingers perfectly on the line between locking up and the best braking distance, ABS still won't be a problem for you because it won't engage. If, like most people, you may panic a little, it's a nice thing to have. Compared to sliding wheels (assuming you keep the bike upright with a locked up front wheel), ABS is going to stop you sooner and keep the bike more controllable while you're slowing.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
If abs worked at very slow speed, it would make it impossible to actually stop.

Sorry, but this statement is NOT correct. The only purpose of ABS (Anti locking Brakes System) is to prevent the brakes from being locked up, so any vehicle operator can still steer it in the desired direction due to the fact that the wheels are still rolling and are not locked up, otherwise one would not be able to maneuver out an obstacle that is in the path of the vehicle direction.
If ABS fails or is not activated, the conventional braking system still works. ABS is just an addition to the conventional braking system.
At the same low speed, ABS engagement will be totally different with a surface that is dry vs covered by ice, test yourself...

ABS does NOT shorten braking distance nor does it stop any vehicle as this is not its function/purpose. Never has and never will.
:)
Sorry, but this statement is NOT correct.
I think it is.

ABS releases the brakes when it detects the wheel is about to lock (i.e. speed close to zero). This only makes sense at speeds when the wheel should be rolling.
Obviously, when you are making a stop, you need the wheel speed to be zero, so you don't want ABS to release the brakes. That's why ABS won't operate at very low speeds. Remember ABS system only reads vehicle speed through wheelspeed sensors, so you need some logic to discriminate between a locked wheel on a moving vehicle vs a standing vehicle.

(this is a simplistic explanation, as ABS not only checks wheelspeeds, but also their rate of change)
 
Nope .. have not tested mine because I don't have it .


Have tested the rear brakes ability to lock up a couple times when stomped on a bit to hard ...yep , functions properly and will do so LOL.

Although that being said it is pretty forgiving and one of those times I was in a small rut when I had to brake hard .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
Excellent video that shows the merits / benefits of ABS. Certainly a tool I would not mind having if it was standard equipment . Part of me is old school though and believes riders ( especially new ones ) need to learn how to and become proficient braking a bike without the assistance of ABS . And beyond that .. learn to situationally ride to prevent the need for sudden braking , as much as is possible .

That being said .. great look at what it can do . Glad I don't grab my brakes like those non ABS clips Lol

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
Thanks, Ferret. I wished they had also shown an example of the rider stopping an ABS equipped bike without sliding it, i.e. pumping the brakes and keeping the bike upright. I'd like to see the stopping distance difference between ABS-controlled stop and a rider-controlled stop (if that makes sense).
 
Thread starter
There are youtube videos that show that Sea. I'm getting ready to go for a ride now, but when I get back I'll look for a good example.
Sitting here in gear lol


here's a good vid shows rear only, front only, front and rear and front and rear with ABS

 
Thread starter
I did thank you.
 
Thread starter
That would be fun, wouldnt it?

There is nothing wrong with learning how to use brakes effectively, there is also nothing wrong with technology that potentially saves your bacon if something goes awry
 
Agreed. The CB ABS has come on a few times even at the slowest deceleration speeds, however, I believe in all the cases it was motivated by slight asphalt stones on a hard to see wavy surface. The CB handled the surfaces like a champ. I think possibly without ABS, something would have kissed the ground - if at least a boot heel.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Not in an emergency Crossed fingers) just in practice. Wonder what it feels like. I know in my Civic, it's a horrible feeling. Wonder what it feels like on a bike?
It's as simple as hitting the brakes hard at 40 MPH on an open, normal road and you feel it
 
Thread starter
Hey you have Taiwan mufflers. The only ones I have seen with the heat shields.
 
I have a quarter mile long gravel driveway. I regularly lock up just for fun, and the ABS on the CB works great. I've never had the occasion to lock up the brakes on pavement, but my experience so far indicates that the ABS works well. On the flip side, I'm still of the school that I can control emergency braking better than a computer, but I've never put that theory to the test..... Thanks again to GO for reviving a cool old thread.
 
tommymck_imp said:
I have a quarter mile long gravel driveway. I regularly lock up just for fun, and the ABS on the CB works great. I've never had the occasion to lock up the brakes on pavement, but my experience so far indicates that the ABS works well. On the flip side, I'm still of the school that I can control emergency braking better than a computer, but I've never put that theory to the test..... Thanks again to GO for reviving a cool old thread.
:beerchug:
 
Back
Top