Anyone test their ABS yet?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Not in an emergency Crossed fingers) just in practice. Wonder what it feels like. I know in my Civic, it's a horrible feeling. Wonder what it feels like on a bike?
 
Yes I did. I took it on a bumpy gravel road. It works the same as it does on the NC700X. Un like BMWs, it works very well. No need to turn it off.
 
Thread starter
crilly, what did it feel like, did it chatter, could you fel it in the brake lever and foot pedal, or did braking feel normal. How did you know it activated?
 
Somewhere out on YouTube there is a video of Honda's engineers testing the ABS system on the CB1100. There is no pulsing at all. Just smooth hard braking. It is pretty impressive.
 
ABS on this style bike is the main reason I bought it. These bike are made by one of the premiere manufacturers and you would expect nothing less. Not being able to test drive the bike, I bought it on faith. That's a good bet with any Honda.
 
Like Crilly, I've practiced a couple of 'panic stops' just to get a feel for the modulation. I could feel a bit but it was no where as pronounced as my BMW was (or my Subaru for that matter). It may be different under other road conditions. This was simply tarmac with a bit of gravel and sand on it. Although, in my experience, this type of surface seems to induce the most noticeable modulation. Most of the gravel around here tends to be uneven, with some washboard tossed in so you are bouncing along anyhow making it hard to discern ABS modulation from road surface. On the other hand, nice clean tarmac has little reason to engage the ABS. Maybe on oily tarmac after a light sprinkle, you'd get a lot more modulation.
 
Since I paid for it, I ought to work up the courage to try it out. It's my first ABS equipped bike. I keep telling myself to throw away years of caution and that it's OK to just mash on the brakes with everything I've got. Still haven't tried it.
 
tested the ABS yesterday in real life... lady ahead in an SUV hit a panic sudden brake seeing someone nudging slowly from a side road, might be she saw at the last moment or so... anyways had to do a kwick stop..felt the ABS engage.click click click..and the big red stopped in nice straight line with no hassles..
 
Thread starter
Good deal Wildezt.
 
wildezt_imp said:
tested the ABS yesterday in real life... lady ahead in an SUV hit a panic sudden brake seeing someone nudging slowly from a side road, might be she saw at the last moment or so... anyways had to do a kwick stop..felt the ABS engage.click click click..and the big red stopped in nice straight line with no hassles..
Sorry you had to test it that way, but it's good to hear.
 
Agree. Definitely should be (regularly) practicing emergency avoidance maneuvers in clean, dry parking lots, and all other skills, as well. :-)
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
If abs worked at very slow speed, it would make it impossible to actually stop.

:rofl: guess that is true
 
That, and on dry pavement (where I spend 99% of my time), ABS stopping distance is usually longer, assuming one knows how to utilize maximum braking.
 
It has kicked in at least three known times for me. Two on rough, loose stones situation, and once on a greasy worn spot in the asphalt. The behaviour felt better than in most cars. I suppose the last thing ABS on a bike wants to do is rattle the rider's nerves more than necessary.
 
I don't think anyone should complain about BMW too much. My first ABS-equipped bike was a 1989 K100RS/ABS. Almost 30 years ago! Until that time, no other manufacturers were installing ABS brakes on their bikes. The liability was too great.

I too wanted to know 'does this stuff really work?' So I took my bike out on a rain soaked road, pushed it up to 55 - 60 mph, then hammered the brakes, front and rear.

Amazingly, the bike slowed quickly, and I didn't experience any wheel lock up.

As far as I'm concerned, kudos to BMW for pioneering ABS on motorcycles.

Bob
 
I recall those '89 TV reports showing the BMW with "training wheels" performing aggressive stopping. Very impressive.

- - -

Today, and unrelated, I am not sure what compares:

* Crash air-bag riding gear?
* Self-riding motorcycle - again, a BMW was used. It even parks itself on its side stand when coming to a stop. No rider onboard. Kinda takes the soul out of the bike, eh?

Yeah,
 
I wear a Helite self-inflating vest. Unlike ohiorider testing the ABS on his '89 K100RS, I have no desire to test my vest. The videos are compelling enough!
 
I wear a Helite Turtle Back Airvest as well and also hope that I never have to use it.
One of the reasons I like it that you can use it over any jacket as it has its own build in back protector; I could remove all back protectors from all my jackets therefor giving more room for layering other pieces of clothing.
 
I had the ABS kick in for the first time a couple of weeks back. A car cut me off in town, and I had to brake quite hard. I did feel a little bit of a vibration in the front as a result, but the whole thing was quite uneventful. The bike remained as stable and easy to control as normal, yet stopping very quickly.

Had I not had ABS for this one, I am pretty sure I would still not have had a problem, but it would probably have gotten my heart rate up a bit more as the front would have locked up briefly.

This is the first bike I have ever owned with ABS, and never really thought about it much before Felt reassuring, and I certainly do not regret having it on the bike.
 
Back
Top