Anybody try the new CB500F or CB500X yet?

Huladog_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Wondering if anybody has been able to ride both the CB1100 and compare it to the new Honda CB500F or CB500X?

F riding position is close to the CB1100 (per Cycle-Ergo.com), the X caught my eye since it is more upright, slightly larger seeming although all three 500's (including the R version) use the same frame, engine, etc.

The prices are so reasonable I started to think about adding an X alongside the CB1100.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
2014 500x is what my wife is currently riding. Nice well balanced bike. Very upright seating ABS(not linked), quite smooth(very little vib), good trans, 65-70 mpg 200+ mile range. Some kinda weird wind flow at speed, not a deal breaker, just different. I rode it for several months before she made me buy the big CB. I was quite happy with it. If you can get a test ride check it out, you might like. Have fun and ride safe.
 
I test rode a CB500 before I bought my CB1100. I really liked it. If the styling of the CB1100 Deluxe had not been so seductive I would have considered a CB500X. The handling and the brakes of the CB500 are perfect for most riding. I actually prefer small bikes unless I'm out on the Interstate. I had a Suzuki VStrom 650 for a few years and it was the best bike I've ever had. Ugly, but great to ride. The CB500X equipped as in the photo would satisfy you 99% of the time.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the replies. Years ago I did take a hard look at the V-Strom but thought it was a little too bulky and definitely tall for me. Then when the Versys came out I looked into that and knew I could lower it, but stayed away since I just could not get over the looks plus I kept reading about the vibes, etc. with that engine.

Where I live in Hawaii the roads can be crappy so a light "adventure" type bike makes sense and I had been looking at the BMW F650 then F700GS models but stayed away even though I DID get a bigger R1200RT (sold that when small electrical and other quality issues started bugging me, got the CB1100 after that).

Hmmmmm, have been doing more research and can lower the CBX easily and for a new model in the USA there sure are a lot of aftermarket accessories available already.

Have sat on the CBR500R version so I'll check the other models out on my next biz trip to California where I know I can find large Honda dealers who have the full-lineup in their showrooms.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
For whatever reason the CB500F caught my eye. No way it is as seductive as a CB1100 but this would be a great bike for tooling around town and shorter trips. Seldom do I ever need or use over 40-50 hp give or take. Im not a huge fan of the styling but its a modern piece and I would bet it would be reliable and durable.

THis would be a great second bike to pick up used fairly cheap to do city duty. Somehow, I am trying to justify this in my mind which is kinda scary. All of the write ups I have seen are very positive for the most part.

I think when I rode my buddies 78 750 I realized just how far along technology had come. I like and appreciate the vintage motorcycles as much as anyone on this forum but I like a drama free ride too. Some say that is boring but I call BS on that. Im too old and been there and done that.
 
I went offroading with a guy who was convinced his CB500X was a dirt bike. Went as far as to throw nobby tires on it. Honestly, the thing did very well up in the mountains but the guy was good at offroading. He loves the bike and I had the chance to ride it. Its ultra forgiving, smooth as butter, I'd see it ideal for getting around. That being said, after riding the CB1100 and knowing how smooth it is, the CB500X just feels boring. Even when not besting on it, just the mechanical character of the CB1100 is so much better. To each their own and the CB500X is fantastically easy, but I could never ever ever justify having both the CB500X and CB1100. I'd have to consider something even cheaper. If I had to have another get-around, I'd explore an SR400 :) gorgeous thumpers.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
Hey Kdiqq,

Ack thinks his R9T is a dirt bike! and from the pics he posted, apparently it is! :)
 
Yea but no mountain roads where he is, and the island is not that big to go and get help. Remote mountains out west are a different situation all together.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I will try to find a video of us out this one day. I was on my KLX and we had a new guy out on his KLX. I'm not sure if this guy was overly confident or what, but my friend on his CB500X ran circles around his KLX and basically stayed on my tail the whole time. Very technical stuff too!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
Riding skill has more to do with off road prowess than the type bike you're on I think. I knew a fellow in the 70's who rode a Honda CL175 in motocross and won more than his share of races. He careened around the track barely in control, throttle wide open and rarely crashed. The logo on his helmet read "Wild Man" and he was. That said, the new Honda 500's look good and I wouldn't mind having the "adventure" version fitted with some DOT knobbies for riding the miles of rural dirt roads around home.
 
I took a quick spin on the 500x today. It was a fun little bike. It would make a good dirt road runner with the right tires. Eros felt a little cramped for me at 6'1" in light of adv type riding, but I could get used to it.
 
Bringing a dead thread back to life as I have recently developed a lustful crush on the new 2016 CB500F. I don't know why this bike intrigues me so much but I am really looking forward to seeing it at the show in Miami in a few weeks. The new LED lights and sharper styling look fantastic! It would be a good second or third bike in a stable including a CB1100.
In a weird way, it reminds me of my old BMW F650ST or my old Ducati 620 Monster: Skinny, light and pretty as a supermodel, but at a bargain basement price with Honda quality and reliability.
If I were in the market for this bike, I would also consider the KTM 390 Duke which is almost 80 pounds lighter than the Honda. But the Honda has more real world power and torque, and you are never far from a Honda dealer.

A lot of big nice, high definition pictures here: http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2016-cb500f-changes-naked-motorcycle-streetfighter-cbr/
 
I had the CB500X before I bought the CB1100, great bike. I did 6000 miles in 12 months including a trip to Germany and one to Spain. The bike was much faster than I expected it to be and it kept pace with bigger bikes but you need to use the gears to do it, but I like riding on the rev counter. Handling is excellent and I'm 6'3" and I had plenty of room. The only reason I sold it is that I not a lover of plastic. I saw the CB1100 when I bought the 500 but I didn't want to pay the price. It all worked out well because the 6 speed model was available by the time I wanted to swap.
 
I guess I never noticed this thread because this bike would never have been on my radar in the past...but I just bought one! Love it. I've got a new thread going on it in this section. Highly recommend it, it's a blast!
 
Back
Top