Ourfreedom_imp
First service completed
Thread starter
So I am going to ride from Memphis to Seattle. And back. Anybody have any tips for the trip? Thanks in advance!
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I would go to ironbutt.com and read tips from them. They do the Iron Butt certifications for rides in excess of 1,000 per day. They also have tips here that can help.Ourfreedom_imp said:So I am going to ride from Memphis to Seattle. And back. Anybody have any tips for the trip? Thanks in advance!
I agree. I plan on doing it in about 4 days. Maybe 5. I've got 3 weeks of leave that I can use and I told the wife that if I am taking a vacation this year it will be on two wheels. There is so much to see in this great country. I plan on enjoying it and not treating it like a commute from hell!ThomWill_imp said:So not on this bike, but on my Yamaha RSTD, my wife and I did Savannah, GA to San Franscisco and back in 2011. My number one piece of advice is to allow plenty of time to enjoy the ride. I know Iron Butt guys who found out I was taking 9 days in each direction and they laughed and said that they could do it in a day. WHY????? I have such great memories of visiting local coffee shops and diners and talking to folks along the way. We averaged 375 miles a day and took one day off (Memorial day across Texas and we were afraid a lot of the gas stations in small towns would be closed). I stuck mainly to the U.S. numbered routes but went state highways to join them.
DAC_imp said:I would go to ironbutt.com and read tips from them. They do the Iron Butt certifications for rides in excess of 1,000 per day. They also have tips here that can help.Ourfreedom_imp said:So I am going to ride from Memphis to Seattle. And back. Anybody have any tips for the trip? Thanks in advance!
Ride safe and post up some pics!
Hey, I didn't think about chain lube. Thanks! My thinking was 4-5 days one way.EmptySea_imp said:I just got back from an 1900 mile loop. We took 8 days, but that's because we were riding around Kentucky and the Smoky Mountains. I would say that rattling off consecutive 400 mile days is not a problem. I assume you meant 4-5 days one way. It's 2200 miles one way, so that would be 4+ 1000 mile days in a row for round trip.
Pack half as much clothing as you think you need and avoid cotton. You can rinse out performance-fabric tshirts and underwear easily on the road. Bring a tire repair kit and other tools (don't forget a tire gauge and chain lube). Bring Honda spray and a few microfiber rags.
Good luck and have a fun and safe trip.
LOL I don't know the actual name of the product, but it's available at most dealers here in the US. It's a cleaning spray. You can use it on just about everything...like to get bugs off your helmet or headlight. Sorry, but all my friends just call it "Honda Spray". I should probably read the label sometime.Cormanus_imp said:Rain gear is good and wise.
EmptySea, what's Honda Spray?

Honda Spray Clean and Shine. Been using it on all my bikes for years. Spray it on and wipe it off. Cleans away bugs, road grime and leaves a wax shine that looks great.Cormanus_imp said:Rain gear is good and wise.
EmptySea, what's Honda Spray?
If you are going to be passing through very remote areas you might also consider a GPS locator beacon such as those offered by SPOT. I have one for those kinds of trips... nice to know that you can both check in and even get help if there is no cell signal.The ferret_imp said:Smart phone with apps for rest areas, gas stations, hotels and weather. My wife has one and it is unbelievably handy for finding stuff on the road when you need it.