PowerDubs_imp
Road warrior
Thread starter
Again- disagree, sorry
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
PowerDubs_imp said:Ulvetanna_imp said:Best bang for the buck, intake/exhaust mods and reflash. Hard to say just what the engine could stand in terms of lift and duration, and additional heat produced by the extra energy. But this thread is one to watch. I'd like to see what's what with the cams. Not hard to swap them out, that's for sure.
I'm very much interested in this too. I find mine a bit rough around the 3400 - 3800 RPM range and blame it on the deliberate mismatch.AndyHe_imp said:I'm very much interested in this too. I find mine a bit rough around the 3400 - 3800 RPM range and blame it on the deliberate mismatch.husky385_imp said:I would like to have cams that would fix the deliberate miss matched timing.:biker:
Don't need any more power though.
Kevin
What I'd like ideally is to buy new cams from a reputable cam shop that makes them just like stock except to fix the mismatch firing. Then would need someone like Don Guhl to reflash the ECU to correct the timing and it would be in theory smoother than it is now. Either that or I just need to let it go.
What I'd like ideally is to buy new cams from a reputable cam shop that makes them just like stock except to fix the mismatch firing. Then would need someone like Don Guhl to reflash the ECU to correct the timing and it would be in theory smoother than it is now. Either that or I just need to let it go. I also would not mind having that little burble dialed out. I wonder about the cams for the 2017...what changes? I think there must be some kind of change because torque numbers are claimed to be at a different part of the RPM range.
I respectfully, but highly disagree. I've been doing this my whole life, have done hundreds of dynos and am anal enough to dyno piece by piece and compare. Hell, my current play car alone has had 4 different sized cam sets in it, each dynoed by themselves- I dynoed it at 2 different dynos in 3 days just 2 weeks ago just to compare results. That isn't counting different headers, cats, catbacks, ported cyl head, bigger throttlebody...
Cams on this bike should make intake/exhaust/flash look like a joke and a waste of money.
Don't misunderstand- and engine is an air pump and complete package, any bottleneck is a bottle neck, but I have yet to see where cams aren't king.
For now I own a Staintune muffler, Arrow headers, Dynojet Power Commander, Dynojet Autotune. A set of cams should do nicely- and if not extreme shouldn't loose much down low. You would be amazed how much is choked off on modern stuff for emissions and sound.
Just keep us posted on this. I am actually interested in see what's possible and what your dyno results are, with the whole mod package.PowerDubs_imp said:Again- disagree, sorry
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ince the bike does not have a chassis up to handling any more power. Yep, I mean any more. Even five horses is too much more for this bike. I just spent all day tearing around our local canyons confirming that once again. It don't have the suspenders or gridwork for putting 100 horse to the ground.
(joke) 
I hate that statement. I do not know how old you are, or how much experience you have with bikes- but I'd expect that response out of a young newb that thinks only the latest greatest sport bike can have power. The last thing I am is a newb. 35 years riding, I'll turn 60 this year, God willing, over 50 bikes owned, nearly a million miles ridden and still at it. No further interest in this topic, though. Finish yer popcorn, guys, the show's over.PowerDubs_imp said:Ulvetanna Wrote:Replacing cams is .... really, it isn't that hard, but it is a few hours work for the CB1100, and fraught with peril for the non-mechanic. Not to mention it would completely void the bike's warranty.
If someone pays a shop to adjust their valves, swapping the cams at the same time is trivial.
Warranty is 1 year from purchase, no? Most people are out of warranty.
You should come to the car world- even less people tear into their own engines but COUNTLESS guys pay a shop to make their car faster. Just because someone doesn't do their own engine work doesn't mean a product shouldn't exist.
Ulvetanna Wroteince the bike does not have a chassis up to handling any more power. Yep, I mean any more. Even five horses is too much more for this bike. I just spent all day tearing around our local canyons confirming that once again. It don't have the suspenders or gridwork for putting 100 horse to the ground.
Again, I disagree.
Plenty of worse handling bikes have had more power than this. Sorry if your skills or balls aren't up to the task.(joke)
On a serious response- who said power has to be only used in a corner at speed? I'd counter that most people floor it on straightaways... in fact, that is where max throttle, max rpm is used.
Ulvetanna Wrote:because a change in camshaft makes a reflash absolutely necessary; it could not be done safely or correctly without that.
I'd wager the bike would run fine on cams as is. To make optimum gains, retune should be done on ANY mod- exhaust, intake, cams, you name it. But start, idle and run ok? Cams will be fine. These aren't carbs.
Ulvetanna Wrote:The last thing most owners want is more top end. Shoulda bought another bike for that; BMW's RNineT, Triumph's Thruxton 1200, those are retros with good top end.
I hate that statement. I do not know how old you are, or how much experience you have with bikes- but I'd expect that response out of a young newb that thinks only the latest greatest sport bike can have power.
Give me a break, there are people who hotrod ANY type of motorcycle. And even the people on here that tend to put around (I am one of them these days) still open the throttle every once in a while and if the bike is capable of a little more excitement through rev range without a loss at normal RPM ridden then there is nothing to loose other than money.
