Another test ride

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Today I test rode a 2014 VFR 800. Had never ridden a VFR and always wanted to. Customer at my local shop traded a beaut in on a F6B so I got to ride his used one.
The good:

Good handling, light weight, good brakes, good trans, good handling, digital gear indicator

The bad: I'm a munchkin and still felt wadded up on the thing. If it had had reigns I imagined myself being a jockey whipping the steed toward the finish line. Vibrations..above 6500 rpms it vibrated especially thru the footpegs. Made my insteps tingle. Also a lot of weight on my wrists and the bars seemed weirdly angled.

The Neutral: I honestly could not tell where the Vtec kicked in. Not sure what I was supposed to feel, but Ive head sport riders complain about it. It never affected me one way or another.

I took it down a curvy road, a straight flat road, and out on the freeway. Tried to imagine it as a sport tourer. Nope.. No way for me anyway.

Glad I got to ride it, but was really happy to get back on my CB for the ride home (the long way ;))
 
I (briefly) owned a '94 VFR a couple years back alongside my CB. It didn't take long to decide it wasn't for me. To my ears they're among the best sounding bikes but that only gets you so far. I didn't find it much fun to ride at legal speeds or on the short rides that I more typically take. Get it further away from town and it starts to make more sense. It did excel at highway travel as well but I tend not to spend much time on the freeway.
 
The VFR is a smoother, more powerful, slightly heavier but more refined likeness of the F800GT. Assuming the one you rode was in good condition, if you didn't care for the Honda, I'm guessing you wouldn't care for the BMW either.
 
I lusted for a VFR for years until I test rode one with the same impression as you.
Wonderful machine, just not for me.
The CB fills all my needs.
 
I owned one for 5 years before deciding it wasn't for me. I guess I'm not exactly a quick study.
 
It's good to occasionally test ride other bikes to get that "grass is greener on the other side" mentality out of your system....I love my CB!
 
Thread starter
Blockhead_imp said:
It's good to occasionally test ride other bikes to get that "grass is greener on the other side" mentality out of your system....I love my CB!

Lol. I test ride every bike I can and have since 1972. I think for the period of 1972-1989 I test rode about every bike that came out from every manufacturer except Harley, and if I had worked for a Harley Dealership I would have. Next week I am riding an FZ-10. That should be a hoot! The week after that I should get a chance to test ride an 1190 KTM if my feet will touch the ground.

The problem for me now, is they are building the bikes so tall, I can't reach well enough to feel confident riding a lot of them. I would love to test ride some of these new adventure bikes, but I'm not going to ride a bike I can't at least get the tips of my toes to touch on both sides.

I love em all.
 
I've owned the original 83,and owned the last gen 750, before they bumped em up to 800

The honda v4 Vfr is one of the best sounding and all purpose bikes EVAR!!! The only folks I know who don't think similar thoughts are usually in snow white's encourage (height challenged).. I know several who put 100k mikes one em.. if you needed one all purpose bike (that didn't include dirt), sports + touring, its the bike to have..

The main issue is that it's kinda like owning a sporty Camry. It it fun, yes, is it quick, yes, can it take people and stuff, yes.. So why isnt it the best of all time, cuz it's still a Camry. Not that there is anything wrong with that

As the sum of its parts the vfr is a phenomenonal bike. It just doesn't elicit much cool factor from being a rider of one, as it seems that as long as you have the m endorsement, anyone can ride one well.. They are just that good.. So if anyone can ride em, their becomes nothing special about the rider..

As a general rule truly iconic bikes have a rider component to em, something a rider has to aspire to or have a large set of cojoines to ride one fast/well.. The vfr is too much the nice guy
 
I test rode the VFR800 2016 model at a Come Ride With Us event. I spent 45 mins on the bike. Yeah, power and pickup was great but I found I was on my hands too much too. I also found the lack of legroom disturbing. I sat on a BMW F800GT very shortly after, they had a used one at Team Honda in Milton. I sat on it for a bit and felt a bit more upright and a bit more legroom than the VFR, the test ride and the sit test were pretty close together, but this was last year. I was impressed with the Luggage that BMW came with and the price tag was right for a low mileage model, after reading about it I came back to test ride it and it was SOLD!
 
Quite a few years ago I rode a mates VFR800 but like you Ferret, I felt the riding position was just not 'right'. I ended up buying a VFR800X Crossrunner (don't know if they were called that in the states) and I have to say that is one bike I did regret selling - the most comfortable bike I think I've owned and did everything really well. I would compare it to the comfort of the CB1100 for sure but with a better seat haha. I had that for a about a year and then got tempted by the VFR1200, biggest mistake I have made! I just could not get comfortable on it and way too much pressure on the wrists. I tried all sorts of risers on it to get it where I could sit more upright but to no avail, I ended up selling it after about 6 months. Loved the motor in it but hated the ergonomics. Maybe I'm just a weird shape, my wife does call me TRex :huh:
 
My wife has a 2010 VFR1200 175hp darn that thing is fast!! But I can't ride it more than a couple miles. I have a fat head and my neck gets sore trying to hold my head up to see where I am going after ten min. All my weight is on my wrists, my knees feel like they are in my chest, my elbows hit the tank when you turn them. I am not a big guy 5-7 but I feel cramped on it. We are headed on a 5,000 mile trip next month and she will do 800 mile days on the darn thing. She is 61 years old and loves that bike.
 
I prefer to keep my knee angle greater than 85° and forward lean 17° or less. For me to have true comfort, knee angle needs to be greater than 90° and forward lean less than 10°.
 
That is one awesome paint job on that VFR and equally impressive that it's your wife's ride. I've been trying to convince my son to find a girl that also rides. Enjoy your 5,000 mile trip and take some pics for us to be envious of :)
 
hb9400_imp said:
That is one awesome paint job on that VFR and equally impressive that it's your wife's ride. I've been trying to convince my son to find a girl that also rides. Enjoy your 5,000 mile trip and take some pics for us to be envious of :)
My daughter lives in Tucker Georgia and she rides a 600 but has that for sale looking to move up to a GSXR 750 and is single lol.

Our trip will be from Michigan to Utah then Vail Colorado for a slingshot event. We will be on the road for 10 days and cover around 5,000 miles. My old bones could not make that kind of trip on the CB the slingshot is a better fit for me for long hot days on the road. The wife will be following on her VFR ( until we hit a long straight stretch then she will disappear from sight for awhile lol ). The slingshot is my touring bike and the CB is for day rides and around town. This is a picture of us at Deals gap a couple years ago.
 
slolane I've been told by my son and wife not to help him so sadly I have to let it slide. Too bad too as far as crotch rockets go, the gxer 750 would be my choice as well, going back to my GS750 roots :) Glad you like the slingshot, they are very popular around here and up in the Smokies. Your trip sounds like a good time.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Slolane, I'm 75 miles from Vail. PM me if you need any assistance while you're out here.
Thank you sir, I am looking forward to seeing the mountains again you live in an awesome state!
 
I've had a few VFR's and I don't think Honda could have put them together any better. I am just on the taller side so aren't comfortable on them any more. :(
 
slolane_imp said:
My wife has a 2010 VFR1200 175hp darn that thing is fast!! But I can't ride it more than a couple miles. I have a fat head and my neck gets sore trying to hold my head up to see where I am going after ten min. All my weight is on my wrists, my knees feel like they are in my chest, my elbows hit the tank when you turn them. I am not a big guy 5-7 but I feel cramped on it. We are headed on a 5,000 mile trip next month and she will do 800 mile days on the darn thing. She is 61 years old and loves that bike.


That is all kinds of awesome.
 
Back
Top