Another reason I ride every day

Thread starter
Today was visit John day. He has been moved to a rehabilitation facility a few miles from the hospital. He has made a little progress they tell me, in that he is no longer being fed thru a tube and can eat a little mashed potato consistancy food (very little) but he doesn't look any better to me. We talked a little, he involuntarily slept alot. I was meeting my brother for lunch and a ride this afternoon so only stayed about an hour. Walking out I hoped I never found myself staying in one of these facilities, although in retrospect they seemed to be taking good care of him, his room was clean, everyone I met was nice to him, they were taking care of his needs physically, medically and nutrionally so I guess there are worse places to spend time given the situation.

As I fired up my bike to leave, a gentleman walked up and said " That's a real clean classic" I laughed and said " not as classic as one would think" which made him ask what year it was, when I told him 2014 he was shocked and said " wow, they must have brought them back out again, cool". ( again demonstrating to me Honda's lack of promotion for this bike) Turns out he has an 83 Honda V65 Magna at home, but he said he was having trouble finding parts for it these days. He wished me safe riding as I took off.

I stopped and saw my family doctor, a long time friend and motorcycle riding buddy (and also a friend of Johns so I updated him on Johns progress) at his office and firmed up the dates for a ride I am going to lead him on in late June over in the Marietta area of SE Ohio and northern West Va...then I rode over and met my brother at his house. We rode to a nearby Steak and Shake for a burger and fries. Then proceeded to take a fabulous country roads ride for a little over 100 miles. Beautiful blue bird day, 78 degrees, curvy roads, no traffic, a CB and a Bonnie, leaning left, leaning right, throttling down the straights, trail breaking for the sharper curves, stopping at a nearby lake to enjoy the view and a thermos of hot tea. No better way to spend the day. Very cathartic.
 
Indeed, Ferret, there are some important reminders for us all in your post.
 
My dear friend Jim died today at the age of 54. He was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer in December 2014...was never a smoker or drinker. He was a wonderful human being, warm and jovial. Everyone enjoyed his company.

I feel a deep sense of loss tonight.
 
I am very sorry for your loss and as I said before, he was a lucky guy to have a mate like you.

R.I.P. Jim.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sad news, Stichill. I'm sorry for your loss of Jim.
 
Thread starter
didn't see this yesterday Stichill. So sorry for your loss. A ride in his honor is a noble thing to do. I am getting ready to head out so today's ride will be for your friend Jim. RIP Jim.

As an update on my friend John, they moved him to a nursing home and I was able to visit him once there, then they moved him down to UC Hospital, and I missed our visit last week, then I got word they moved him back to the nursing home so I hope to visit him tomorrow. From what I understand he still can't eat or walk.
 
There are always these reminders of what is important when you lose friends or relatives but nothing ever seems to really motivate me to make significant changes in my life. Time passes and you get back into the regular routine of life and forget about the important things.

Until, of course, that reminder comes knocking at your own door. In 2016, I had a bowel resection and six months of chemotherapy after being diagnosed with stage III colon cancer. Not a terminal diagnosis by any stretch of the imagination, but certainly a wake up.

I've been riding a 2002 750 Nighthawk for the past three years, but when the local dealer at the winter bike show rolled out a 2016 Canadian edition CB1100 (black with checkerboard detailing), I knew I had to stop thinking about an upgrade and do it.

Can't wait to start putting some miles on this gorgeous bike.


2016 Honda CB1100
 
Thread starter
Glad they found it in time to do something about it QimmiQ. Hope things are positive looking forward. TIme to enjoy Life, and that CB.
 
f62885abdf8005700ff8874618fafa31.jpg


Rest in peace, Jim. You were a true gentleman, a good husband, a wonderful father, an inquisitive engineer, and my friend.
 
Sorry for your loss Stich.

At one point in our lives we joyfully attend our friends and family members weddings.
After that their sons or daughters weddings.
Then comes the hard part as we say good-bye to friends and family members.

I belong to a 24 member club of garden railroaders.
Most of us are gray haired retirees.
We lose a member a year.
Reminders to us all to enjoy the time we have.
 
Well said, Nortoon and thank you.

I think the greatest way to honor the cherished ones who've passed is to value life and love even more, never take either for granted, and get the most out of our time here together by pursuing the best and most meaningful experiences and relationships this life offers us.
 
My Mom is in her last hours of life in this world. It has been a rough experience. She was diagnosed with brain cancer 12/27/16 . I was on a ride on the CB out of state when my Dad called me. I am looking for some piece for our whole family. I imagine that won't be for quite some time. I am looking forward to a ride. We are not promised tomorrow. Enjoy every day. Thank you for reading. Dave.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
so sorry to hear that Dsan, mothers are special people. My mom died of pancreatic cancer in 1996. I think of her nearly every day. It is something you never get over.
 
Back
Top