Another reason I ride every day

My heart goes out to all that have lost a friend or loved one to this terrible disease. I lost my mother, two weeks ago, to non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. It was a long and terrible death. We talked a lot about death, which she prayed for every day. She always fought my riding motorcycles because of the danger. Towards the end she agreed that there are much worse ways to go than on a motorcycle. I will think of her everytime I throw my leg over my bike, for another adventure in 2 dimensional flying, as well as every minute of every day in between.
 
Oh, dear, Retsel. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Ride well.
 
Thread starter
Retsel, so sorry for your loss. I lost my mom in 1996 to pancreatic cancer. I miss her dearly, she was a wonderful woman and mother. I think about her a lot.she missed so much.

Btw she was a motorcyclist herself. Rode a small Yamaha step thru. She's the one who convinced me to get back on a motorcycle after my 1968 wreck. She said I would regret it if I didn't. Of course she was 100% right.

Dad on his 125 Moto Guzzi and mom on her 70 Yamaha

 
The ferret_imp said:
Bet you are right suhawk.

My heart breaks for Rocky. Can't imagine. A good friend is one thing, a 50 year spouse would be something different altogether.
I didn't intend that this thread reflect back on me, but I really appreciate the kind words. Thanks guys :thumbsup:
 
Yeah, I too am feeling the devastation that this disease can do so quickly. When I was on my ride to Nevada before New Years, My Mom was diagnosed with brain cancer. They removed the tumor. Now It has been 2 weeks since radiation and chemotherapeutic treatment. Dealing with significant trauma to the brain is the hardest. I wanted to go riding this weekend. My wife and I are spending the weekend at my parents. This is to give my Dad a little " break ". My heart goes out to everyone effected by this disease. Side note my parents live in Napa valley it's a great place to rough it! Next Saturday going for a ride! My sister and her family are coming up with my folks next weekend! I also squeeze in 40 to 50 mile loops a few times a week. Well I guess you won't see a motorcycle parked in front of a therapists office!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I feel for you Dsan. My heart and prayers go out to you, your mother and family. I lived in Santa Rosa for a while. Had my BMW f800gs back then. Some great rides towards Napa the other way towards the coast. Ride safe!
 
Sorry for everyone's loss. I keep telling myself the same thing every time I ride. Next time I might just be wishing I could ride when I can't.
 
I can relate to all of this, and sympathies with you Ferret, Rocky and all affected this way.

I too lost my wife to cancer. Happy memories of us riding out together still in my thoughts when I ride today. Another reason to ride ;)





Edited as first attempt was a bit too much :rolleyes:
 
Thread starter
offroadfx4_imp said:
Sorry for everyone's loss. I keep telling myself the same thing every time I ride. Next time I might just be wishing I could ride when I can't.
Exactly and the point of the thread. Enjoy it while you can

So sorry Dsan and JC

Tomorrow is my day to go see John. Hoping he is feeling somewhat better. At least in less pain.
 
The ferret_imp said:
offroadfx4_imp said:
Sorry for everyone's loss. I keep telling myself the same thing every time I ride. Next time I might just be wishing I could ride when I can't.
Exactly and the point of the thread. Enjoy it while you can

So sorry Dsan and JC

Tomorrow is my day to go see John. Hoping he is feeling somewhat better. At least in less pain.
Exactly and the point of the thread. Enjoy it while you can

So sorry Dsan and JC

Tomorrow is my day to go see John. Hoping he is feeling somewhat better. At least in less pain.
Please tell him many people are thinking of him, from across the globe!

Dave in Thailand.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Well today was ride down to visit John day. It was a rough day. John is not doing well. From my understanding he was resuscitated several times Fri night into Saturday morning, and has acquired an infection of some sort that affects the organs. Still John was awake today for the most part. Not alert, but awake. We spoke motorcycles a bit, turns out he bought a Harley Fatboy about 3 years ago. He asked me why some motorcycles had belts and others chains and which was better. He is so weak, and it was hard for him to get the question out, and I'm not sure my answer made any sense to him, but the communication whether understood or not was apparently important to both of us.

When he fell asleep I left and rode home..straight home. No therapy ride. It's hard to enjoy the ride when you are so worried about someone. For dinner tonight, I made myself one of my favorite meals, Skyline Chili, a local favorite. Comfort food. I wanted to feel better. After dinner I rolled out the CB and rode " the Loop" ( a 40ish mile loop of curvy roads including My Road" ) and I attacked it. This wasn't a leisure ride. I wanted to take my frustration out on something, and I took it out on the curves. I rode well, it required concentration, and made me forget about John's condition for awhile.

I will be at the same hospital Thursday for the birth of my 5 th grandchild, and will probably stop in to see John again. I have this horrible feeling that there won't be many more opportunities to visit.
 
Ferret, I'm so sorry. I'm afraid there's nothing anyone can do to help John any more than what you've been doing, but at least we can support you. Hang in there.
 
May I Respectfuly suggest you talk to him about your new family member and the future. Unfortunately, i have been in similar situations (last time was 6 years ago with mum).
Like you, I also talked bikes with her, as she never lost an interest in them and was delighted to go talk to modern day bikers about 'the good old days'.
Here is a photo of her in a 650/500 Triumph at the top of the Swiss Alps. They build 'me tough in those days!!!!!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
SSK Dave_imp said:
May I Respectfuly suggest you talk to him about your new family member and the future. Unfortunately, i have been in similar situations (last time was 6 years ago with mum).
Like you, I also talked bikes with her, as she never lost an interest in them and was delighted to go talk to modern day bikers about 'the good old days'.
Here is a photo of her in a 650/500 Triumph at the top of the Swiss Alps. They build 'me tough in those days!!!!!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, and they built the bikes tough, too :angel: What a great photo. Ferret, you are a good man. Give John our best and know that we are all here for you. I hope your postings are in some way therapeutic. Meanwhile, ride safe, please.
 
Powerful testimony about the reality of our mortality. There aren't an infinite number of 'tomorrows'...something we more keenly appreciate the older we get.
 
ferret i feel your pain , a good friend is so hard to find
edited to say Skyline Chili / Cincinnati chili is what i am going to try to make .
 
Back
Top