Another oil filter failure

dsan1964_imp

Been there
Thread starter
587a78df476992718848c839ce141304.jpg

0e4f663b38c8943954ff2b98250618cd.jpg

220f71ef6969ca5480302b1472154abb.jpg

32c94e59111e20d8ed4889274bd96f3b.jpg

19b7fb1e1d947977ca042ace416cdc71.jpg

Well I have heard the nightmare stories about bad oil filters. Yesterday I had my filter fail . I was on a 300 mile ride I had smelled oil a few times looked at the upper end and keep going. The weld on the nut of the hiflow filter had broken and started leaking I i had over 500 miles on it already never used it for tightening... well only oem from here.
299daad0912216b8d21cf4fa4be8916f.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sorry to hear, and glad to know that from now on OEM takes place.
Hope no damage to your engine as you spot it early enough = good rider!
 
Thread starter
dsan1964_imp said:
587a78df476992718848c839ce141304.jpg

0e4f663b38c8943954ff2b98250618cd.jpg

220f71ef6969ca5480302b1472154abb.jpg

32c94e59111e20d8ed4889274bd96f3b.jpg

19b7fb1e1d947977ca042ace416cdc71.jpg

Well I have heard the nightmare stories about bad oil filters. Yesterday I had my filter fail . I was on a 300 mile ride I had smelled oil a few times looked at the upper end and keep going. The weld on the nut of the hiflow filter had broken and started leaking I i had over 500 miles on it already never used it for tightening... well only oem from here.
299daad0912216b8d21cf4fa4be8916f.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to add I was riding with my Dad he was on the VFR 1200. Glad I didn’t go down with a oil slick on my tire.... and we are on vacation my wife brought my truck I was 30 miles out when I had figured it out... the rear brake wasn’t working well. And the last leg was all twisties!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It always puzzles me why people do not use the OEM filter in the first place , they are very easy to get of and on ! I am glad that you are ok , it could have been a DISASTER .
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Sorry to hear, and glad to know that from now on OEM takes place.
Hope no damage to your engine as you spot it early enough = good rider!

Absolutely the oil level was still in between both lines on the fluid level window. Thank you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Houtman_imp said:
It always puzzles me why people do not use the OEM filter in the first place , they are very easy to get of and on ! I am glad that you are ok , it could have been a DISASTER .
Thought process is probably: Cheapness, availability. Instead of paying more at the "stealership", why not just get some cheaper ones with a name brand? Or, it's K&N, they make performance stuff! This must be a performance oil filter!


I've been using Mobil 1 filters for awhile on my WRX and CBR600RR since they shared the same filter. They've never had OEM filters on them besides from the factory. I've probably even used a K&N oil filter on one of my vehicles at one time or another. Never had a failure on the K&N, but you wouldn't think that K&N would have a design flaw like that happening on something as simple as an oil filter.
 
The Honda OEM filters are about $ 10 each if you order multiple ones at once.
A good tool to get a tight filter of our bike is to use an adjustable oil filter plier , cheap at about $12- $15 , available at any auto part store.
 
Edit: I initially wrote a screed about K&N filters, but Dsan, noticed you mentioned using a HiFlo. Glad you caught it before it became a disaster, and the only thing you need to worry about is cleaning up an oily bike!

But, since the K&N problem stemmed from the welded on nut on the filter body, I have sworn off filters that use that design, regardless of brand.
 
Thread starter
whizzle_dizzler_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
It always puzzles me why people do not use the OEM filter in the first place , they are very easy to get of and on ! I am glad that you are ok , it could have been a DISASTER .
Thought process is probably: Cheapness, availability. Instead of paying more at the "stealership", why not just get some cheaper ones with a name brand? Or, it's K&N, they make performance stuff! This must be a performance oil filter!


I've been using Mobil 1 filters for awhile on my WRX and CBR600RR since they shared the same filter. They've never had OEM filters on them besides from the factory. I've probably even used a K&N oil filter on one of my vehicles at one time or another. Never had a failure on the K&N, but you wouldn't think that K&N would have a design flaw like that happening on something as simple as an oil filter.
Thought process is probably: Cheapness, availability. Instead of paying more at the "stealership", why not just get some cheaper ones with a name brand? Or, it's K&N, they make performance stuff! This must be a performance oil filter!


I've been using Mobil 1 filters for awhile on my WRX and CBR600RR since they shared the same filter. They've never had OEM filters on them besides from the factory. I've probably even used a K&N oil filter on one of my vehicles at one time or another. Never had a failure on the K&N, but you wouldn't think that K&N would have a design flaw like that happening on something as simple as an oil filter.

Definitely not a price issue I am pretty sure they cost more then oem and I have used them also ,it was a convenience thing Amazon they didn’t have oem or not at the time .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Just in case this happens to you on a trip you can substitute a small size car oil filter temporary and not lose a lot of oil to get out of a bad situation if a normal motorcycle filter is not available, the mounting is universal, same thread, same mating surface.
 
I saw a vid on Youtube about oil filters. Someone cut several brands apart and compared them, and K&N was the worst of the lot. Crappy construction, cheap materials, no real filtering material, etc.
 
How does your dad like the VFR 1200? Are those factory hard bags?
 
Thank goodness most internal engine components (connecting rods, bearing shells, cam chains, etc.) aren’t part of routine DIY maintenance, or we’d hear similar stories about failures from using aftermarket parts there, too. Can you imagine all the Wrist Pin threads? Ugh.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
How does your dad like the VFR 1200? Are those factory hard bags?

He loves the bike . He got it last year yes factory hard bags I may be buying it off him. The arthritis in both wrists is really bothering him. The bike is a beast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I thought they were beautiful, but a little radical ergos for me too. I'm probably older than your dad lol.
 
It’s tempting to make some quip about your mighty age, Ferret, but, if I did suhawk and Rocky and the other young ‘ us would take me to task.
 
:rofl:

I'll never be as old as Rocky or Suhawk. ;)
 
Remember Mr. Ferret, with age comes wisdom. Some day you may have the wisdom that Rocky and I have! :rofl:
 
Back
Top