Another ?is this the bike for me?? thread

cblais19_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hey folks, fairly new rider here shopping around for my 2nd bike, and fell deeply in lust with the CB when I was madly blowing manufacturer sites last year prior to getting my license. Apparently last year was my year to do all the things I’d missed out on in my 20s, turned 30 early last year and my now ex-wife moved out the next month (although non-acrimonious and mutual). Spent the next 9 months or so getting into auto racing, buying and restoring a BMW E30, and then finally getting on a motorcycle like I’d been wanting to since my late teens. Currently puttering around on a little BMW G310r, which while a lovely little bike is just not very suited for the amount of highway driving I’ve found myself unexpectedly doing.

So, CB. Looks like the 2017s have much more mild recommended maintenance intervals, meaning that besides regular chain cleaning, using the bike as a daily commuter shouldn’t mean too much work? Do spark plugs really need to be changed every 8k, and is it difficult to get to? Otherwise with oil changes every 8k it shouldn’t be any more then my Accord to keep running (we’ll just ignore tire costs...). I’ve seen the dirt/salt the crazy Aussie/ferret get on their bikes, is it a pain to clean after that level of dirt? They like to just dump salt everywhere the rare occasions it threatens snow around here.

I see some people say that they’ve never ridden a bike with cleaner airflow, and some still say they need a windscreen over 70. Here in the DC Metro I’m doing ~75 on the highways, and did feel a bit like a sail on the G310 until I got a MRA windscreen. I’m sure the 200lbs over the G310 would mean a much more stable highway ride, and I do see plenty of people using them for touring. Do you think this is more of a personal thing?

I see a couple of ‘14 DLXs have been put up for sale here at ~$7k. Not sure what the OTD would be on a ‘17 EX, probably ~$12k at least. If you were buying a CB today would you spend the extra?

I’m going to go sit on a leftover ‘14 base a local dealer has, ABS is an absolute must for me so this will be more of a “is this comfortable?” And “do I really like the look of this in the flesh?” Sort of thing. Everything I’ve read about this bike seems to indicate that it’s a super forgiving and easy going bike that would be a perfect all-rounder, with an exceptionally high build quality. Is there anything else you would tell somebody looking into a CB? For fitment reference I’m a nice average 5’10”, 185lbs.

Thanks!
 
The second hardest maintenance is most likely the valve check. And you’re in luck. Here is a post on it from today, with pics: Valve Check On 2013

Valve adjustment is another thing. You do all of the above, plus remove the cams to get to the shims (under buckets).
 
Thread starter
ABS is a must because I’m a new rider and I’d like my bike to try and stop in a straight line if I have to do a quick stop and grab the brakes, vice low siding. Same reason my Accord has the full Honda Sensing suite - things to give me a safety edge, especially in Northern Virginia traffic, are priorities.

Your risk assessments may be different.

Re: valve checks - I saw that thread. Looks like most people don’t have to do any adjustments either?
 
Most have reported no adjustments. A few have, but wasn’t out much.
 
Wow, lets see. If you are going to commute or ride year round, expect it to get dirty/salty. Wash it off in spring with s100. Wash off summer gunk in the fall with s-100. If you do commute, or ride year round, you will rack up enough miles in a short time that your bike won't be worth anything on resale anyway, so you might as well use the darn thing and get your moneys worth out of it. If you can't handle a dirty bike, or don't want to ruin it's value with high miles, only ride it short distances on bluebird days.

Maintenance: chains these days are extremely robust. Figure a chain adjustment when you get new tires ( every 8-10,000 miles) and maybe once in between. Lube when it looks dry or after you have ridden in the rain. Chain and sprockets will last in the neighborhood of 25-30,000 miles. Air cleaner and spark plugs every 25,000 miles. Brakes front and rear about every 20,000 miles. Brake and clutch fluids every 2 years. Valve adjustment or inspection... 2 theories. One..go by mfgs recommendation which is inspection every 8,000 miles. Two..go by symptoms, noisy valve train, hard starting, rough running, gas mileage goes down, have them inspected. Oil and filter changes, every 4,000 (not 8,000) and it's ridiculously easy on this bike. Oil changes are no doubt the most important maint item on the bike

If you are looking at a 14 left over, it DOES NOT have ABS, no matter what the dealer tells you.

My suggestion if you are looking for a bargain of a bike to really use, go for the 14 std at closeout prices despite the fact it doesn't have ABS or pick up a used DLX which will have ABS. It you want to have a bike to keep for a long time and take out in optimal weather as a show piece, go for the 17 EX.
 
Welcome to the site and the CB1100 is a great choice,
Your comments make it appear you want to be a responsible, safe rider.
Please note that in a panic stop, it will take you longer time and distance wise to stop with ABS than without as the brake pistons pulse in grasping and releasing the rotor.
I’m not trying to talk you out of getting ABS, but taking a rider course and practicing braking techniques under a trained and competent instructor can make you a proficient rider.
Hope you find a great deal and continue to participate on the forum.
 
I probably should have added, this is an extremely efficient motorcycle, smooth, powerful, yet easy to ride. Great transmission, great brakes and as you've noticed stunning looks. At left over prices easily the very best bargain in motorcycling, costing no more than 700 cc twins with half the cylinders, displacement or power.
 
cblais19_imp said:
Hey folks, fairly new rider here shopping around for my 2nd bike, and fell deeply in lust with the CB when I was madly blowing manufacturer sites last year prior to getting my license. Apparently last year was my year to do all the things I’d missed out on in my 20s, turned 30 early last year and my now ex-wife moved out the next month (although non-acrimonious and mutual). Spent the next 9 months or so getting into auto racing, buying and restoring a BMW E30, and then finally getting on a motorcycle like I’d been wanting to since my late teens. Currently puttering around on a little BMW G310r, which while a lovely little bike is just not very suited for the amount of highway driving I’ve found myself unexpectedly doing.

So, CB. Looks like the 2017s have much more mild recommended maintenance intervals, meaning that besides regular chain cleaning, using the bike as a daily commuter shouldn’t mean too much work? Do spark plugs really need to be changed every 8k, and is it difficult to get to? Otherwise with oil changes every 8k it shouldn’t be any more then my Accord to keep running (we’ll just ignore tire costs...). I’ve seen the dirt/salt the crazy Aussie/ferret get on their bikes, is it a pain to clean after that level of dirt? They like to just dump salt everywhere the rare occasions it threatens snow around here.

I see some people say that they’ve never ridden a bike with cleaner airflow, and some still say they need a windscreen over 70. Here in the DC Metro I’m doing ~75 on the highways, and did feel a bit like a sail on the G310 until I got a MRA windscreen. I’m sure the 200lbs over the G310 would mean a much more stable highway ride, and I do see plenty of people using them for touring. Do you think this is more of a personal thing?

I see a couple of ‘14 DLXs have been put up for sale here at ~$7k. Not sure what the OTD would be on a ‘17 EX, probably ~$12k at least. If you were buying a CB today would you spend the extra?

I’m going to go sit on a leftover ‘14 base a local dealer has, ABS is an absolute must for me so this will be more of a “is this comfortable?” And “do I really like the look of this in the flesh?” Sort of thing. Everything I’ve read about this bike seems to indicate that it’s a super forgiving and easy going bike that would be a perfect all-rounder, with an exceptionally high build quality. Is there anything else you would tell somebody looking into a CB? For fitment reference I’m a nice average 5’10”, 185lbs.

Thanks!
cblais19,
I thought you ALREADY bought it, won't regret it = satisfaction guaranteed with CB:biker:
...mine already has 53 Km = worry free...never failed...ops..once it guit on the hwy = run out of the gas at 5000 rpm:rofl:

pb
 
Mscb1100_imp said:
Welcome to the site and the CB1100 is a great choice,
Your comments make it appear you want to be a responsible, safe rider.
Please note that in a panic stop, it will take you longer time and distance wise to stop with ABS than without as the brake pistons pulse in grasping and releasing the rotor.
I’m not trying to talk you out of getting ABS, but taking a rider course and practicing braking techniques under a trained and competent instructor can make you a proficient rider.
Hope you find a great deal and continue to participate on the forum.
I would agree with this statement wholeheartedly as long as you're referring to a calculated hard stop under known conditions on a good surface. I'm not saying you can't do so in a panic, but it's much harder to account for all variables in an emergency situation. That's where ABS can save your bacon and offer peace of mind for the rider. Including my DLX, I've had three bikes with it and three bikes without and learned how to maximize braking on all of them. I only "used" the ABS once on my BMW and I'm glad I had it because it likely kept me under control while I avoided T-boning a distracted driver.

That being said, ABS is not a substitute for rider proficiency... However, it is an effective aide with justified value for some riders.
 
A Dart Marlin flyscreen for speeds over 70 MPH, or fighting headwinds is a plus. Got mine on a special 10 Nov 2017 for $124.95. Normal $174.95.

Had ABS on my Moto Guzzi V7II for ~7K miles in 7 months and never activated it. Do not miss it on my 2014 CB1100 standard.

Extremely pleased with my CB.
 
Thread starter
Quote: Please note that in a panic stop, it will take you longer time and distance wise to stop with ABS than without as the brake pistons pulse in grasping and releasing the rotor.
I’m not trying to talk you out of getting ABS, but taking a rider course and practicing braking techniques under a trained and competent instructor can make you a proficient rider.
Went to MSF before I bought a bike/started riding at all, and bought a full set of quality gear as well. The only people that I've seen in objective tests stop bikes faster on a non-ABS version vs ABS were extremely experienced professional riders. I practice smooth progressive engagement on the brakes to transfer the weight forward before applying completely & all that - but in a true unexpected panic stop (sudden deer, inattentive driver, etc), I like knowing that a computer with vastly faster reaction times is there if I grab a full hand to prevent a lock-up. The only case I know of where an average rider is likely to get better results from no ABS is in the dirt where you actually want some wheel lock.

Don't really want to turn this into an ABS debate though, I've seen those go well off the rails elsewhere :P. Just take it as given it's a requirement for me.

Ferret - I was reading a thread earlier on how valve checks on the '17 were now showing as 12k in the manual, and I thought I saw that oil changes were every 8k miles? Thanks for the rest of your input on maintenance. I'd totally go for a '14 DLX if I can find one, I actually prefer the wheels over the '17 spokes. I'd be looking for that front speed sensor ring to validate ABS too - one of the first things I've been looking at in bike ads for models that were sold both with/without ABS in the US.
 
One thing you might notice coming from a small bike like the G310 is the CB's weight. You'll mostly notice it pushing it around or pulling it up on the center stand. At any speed, it's very well balanced with a low center of gravity so not really an issue while riding. The weight helps stabilize it on the freeway too which is probably why so many find it to be a good commuter.
 
cblais19 Wrote:fell deeply in lust with the CB when I was madly blowing manufacturer sites
Not sure whether to be repulsed by such a thing, or to marvel at how such a thing can even be accomplished?

Anyway...

Like mickey said, if it's a black CB1100 and it's sold in America, it does not have ABS. The only black model in the U.S. was the 2014 Standard, which absolutely does not have ABS. The only 2014 model with ABS was the decidedly red DLX, of which there are no leftovers. So, if it's a "base" 2014, which is black, it does not have ABS.

Otherwise, besides the cost argument, if one can get ABS, there is zero reason not to do so. This notion of "I never had it, and I did just fine!" is irrelevant. People got along just fine before the advent of electricity, but we're still better off having electricity. In the real world, there is zero downside to having ABS on your bike. There might also end up being zero upside, but so what? As with any form of safety equipment or insurance, it's still better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
 
VLJ_imp said:
cblais19 Wrote:fell deeply in lust with the CB when I was madly blowing manufacturer sites
Not sure whether to be repulsed by such a thing, or to marvel at how such a thing can even be accomplished?

Anyway...

Like mickey said, if it's a black CB1100 and it's sold in America, it does not have ABS. The only black model in the U.S. was the 2014 Standard, which absolutely does not have ABS. The only 2014 model with ABS was the decidedly red DLX, of which there are no leftovers. So, if it's a "base" 2014, which is black, it does not have ABS.

Otherwise, besides the cost argument, if one can get ABS, there is zero reason not to do so. This notion of "I never had it, and I did just fine!" is irrelevant. People got along just fine before the advent of electricity, but we're still better off having electricity. In the real world, there is zero downside to having ABS on your bike. There might also end up being zero upside, but so what? As with any form of safety equipment or insurance, it's still better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
When I lived in Flagstaff and driving on ice, having ABS was very much appreciated on 4 wheel vehicles.

One negative, which may not be applicable for the CB: Brake bleeding on the Moto Guzzi V7II with ABS is more complicated.
 
One of my bikes has ABS, I have never activated it on the one that has, and I have braked hard, hard, hard. Can't imagine what it would take to activate it, but if I ever find out, I'm pretty sure I will be glad it's there lol
 
As I recall there’s a couple of interminable ABS threads on this site. Feel free to re-activate them. Not.

The other thing to look for to see whether the bike has ABS is its VIN. If it has ABS it will begin JH2SC655 (2013 with ABS) or JH2SC658 (2014 DLX).

If it starts with JH2SC651 and is a 2013 or 2014 model, it does not have ABS; however, if it is a 2017 model it will have ABS. If it’s a 2017 model the VIN will be JH2SC651xHKyyyyyy. Where x is the check digit and y is a number.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
As I recall there’s a couple of interminable ABS threads on this site. Feel free to re-activate them. Not.

The other thing to look for to see whether the bike has ABS is its VIN. If it has ABS it will begin JH2SC655 (2013 with ABS) or JH2SC658 (2014 DLX).

If it starts with JH2SC651 and is a 2013 or 2014 model, it does not have ABS; however, if it is a 2017 model it will have ABS. If it’s a 2017 model the VIN will be JH2SC651xHKyyyyyy. Where x is the check digit and y is a number.
Great research.
Can also look on front disc for speed sensor, as on rear.
 
ABS the only one best safety option that you can have on a bike........only one fall ( bcos braking) is enough for lost your healt or more.....
without:
only if you weekly train intensive braking i believe you a bit that you master it too in a totaly surprise moment with the same effectivness like with ABS....


amen.....


if you have the possibilty in times like now so choose the version with ABS ....AND be happy if you need it never...

its a good feeling to know that you can use your full brakepower at any time or just you can always pull with full power the brakelevers if its need the situation

btw
minimum here in europe is ABS since 1-2 years mandatory by all new bikes...
 
Back
Top