Another Harley Thread

Thread starter
Why don’t you want to do it on the CB1100, RLS?
 
Having spent many years within the HD world, also working within the industry, if I were to do a long distance trip, between the CB and a Touring HD, my choice would always be a Touring HD. The bikes are just more suited to the job.

Just my opinion....
 
If you don’t have one, get a fairing. Maybe invest in an upgraded seat. Get multi position pegs that will give you more legroom and ride the CB on that trip. Money spent will be chump change compared to buying a bike. I think the longest trip I did was 1100 +/- miles on the CB and I had none of those features. I did just fine. That’s coming from someone that has a Road King in the garage. Not saying I would pick the CB as my FIRST option in my particular situation. Just that the CB is surprisingly comfortable on long stretches with some minor tweaks.
 
RLS_imp said:
I am looking to pickup a cruiser/touring bike to ride from Memphis to Denver than over to Scottsdale and back. I would love to do it on the CB, but I think it would wear me out. That said, I went and test rode some Harley's; a 2015 Dyna Low Rider, 2017 Heritage Soft tail and a 2018 Road King. All had about 4k to 6k miles and priced from $12k to $15k. I had a blast riding each of these bikes. Love the big 103 and 107 engines. However, when I get back on the CB to ride home, I am so glad I own this bike. It is superior in every way. I won't be getting a Harley, but I am interested in what bike would be a good stablemate for the CB, one that is better suited for touring. Any opinions would be appreciated.
You'll get as many opinions as there are models of bikes, but the sport-touring bike in my garage for the past 6 years is the BMW K1600GTL. Came to that from a Honda ST1300. To me, the GTL is the ultimate sport-tourer. I have carved the Tail of the Dragon with it (left a couple of sport bikes in the dust) but was comfortable riding the first 800 miles from DFW to Chattanooga on the first day of the trip. A buddy of mine just picked up a 2016 GTL with 3500 miles on it for around $13k. Ironically, the guy selling that one liked riding his big Harley more.

On the broader thread topic of Harleys...I had a 2004 VROD until a couple of years ago. Loved that bike. One of my SS1K rides was riding that bike from Sturgis to Dallas in 22.5 hours straight. It was the end of a 3-week, 5000 mile trip from DFW to LA to Sturgis and back. Not as powerful as the CB1100 to be sure, but it was a really comfortable ride.

Have fun with the search! That's half the fun.
 
RLS_imp said:
I am looking to pickup a cruiser/touring bike to ride from Memphis to Denver than over to Scottsdale and back. I would love to do it on the CB, but I think it would wear me out. That said, I went and test rode some Harley's; a 2015 Dyna Low Rider, 2017 Heritage Soft tail and a 2018 Road King. All had about 4k to 6k miles and priced from $12k to $15k. I had a blast riding each of these bikes. Love the big 103 and 107 engines. However, when I get back on the CB to ride home, I am so glad I own this bike. It is superior in every way. I won't be getting a Harley, but I am interested in what bike would be a good stablemate for the CB, one that is better suited for touring. Any opinions would be appreciated.
For touring you need some wind protection (also in the heat), comfortable riding position and luggage. May be you should have a look at the BMW F 800 GT or its predecessor F 800 ST. That's a good tourer but nevertheless allows agile handling and riding style and it is not too heavy.

The Harleys are not my cup of tea as for the feet in front position. I like the pegs below my center of gravity.

Greetings from Germany. :hello:
 
Thanks for the responses and good ideas. Wind protection is the primary issue with taking the CB, but this is only really and issue when I am over 65 mph.

Like many folks on this forum, I want two bikes. I am looking at a 2015 Triumph Thunderbird Commander for around $6k with 12k miles. Anybody have any experience with this bike?
 
zirconxi_imp said:
Well, it will be sad to see HD go. But any motorcycle brand that only cater to higher end of the scale are having a tough time surviving. Even BMW see that, hence their launching of 310 models to cater for the lower range of the market. I don't like HD, but legends are still legends. Dipping their toes in the lower end market might not work for their brand. But i don't understand why they don't want to do it like what Toyota and Honda did, like Toyota with their Lexus, Honda with their Acura. Maybe HD with a sister brand for the lower end market for Asia.
When I list here on the forum, the three in-line fours follow my tag. I bought all three of them for less than the price of a Harley Dresser. I love riding three different bikes. I would quickly bore with one, over-priced Harley dresser. That is part of their downfall, they just cost too much money to put two wheels on the pavement for me.
 
I'll never understand why so many people insist on having wind protection...while riding a motorcycle. It's a motorcycle, not a car. The whole idea is to be out there in the elements.

Smooth windflow on a no-windshield bike is easier to get along with and more relaxing than noisy turbulence from the windshield, not to mention having to look through that bug-splattered windshield. Plus, when it's hot, you don't receive the benefit of the cooling wind.

Having owned both types of bikes, and having tried my windshield bikes with and without their windshields, the ride was better every time without the windshield. Some bikes look ridiculous without their windshields (V-Strom, ST1300), but they still work better that way. Other bikes look much better without windshields, so adding one where it doesn't belong not only butchers the aesthetic, it diminishes the ride quality.

Ride a full weekend without the windshield. Get used to it. Quit talking yourself into thinking you have to have one. You don't, not on bikes like the CB1100. If it's a feet-forward cruiser that will turn your upper body into a sail without a windshield, okay, fine, but that only goes to prove, once again, that the basic cruiser design architecture is seriously flawed. The natural riding position on a motorcycle should include having your feet beneath you, with the upper body upright or canted slightly forward. No windshield necessary, at least up to eighty mph.

Allow yourself to get used to it, and you will never go back.
 
I am coming around to VLJ's way of thinking that wind protection is not necessary. I have put over 15k on by 2014 standard, about 4k of that since this Covid 19 started. I haven't liked any of the cruisers I have ridden, well enough to buy one. Tried a Puig, Dart, and a windscreen on the CB but didn't like the look. Guess I just make the trip on the CB. After all, it is the best bike I have ridden.
 
Thread starter
I've never had a screen on my CB and so I don't miss it. I rode one with a Dart flyscreen and found it noisier than my unscreened bike. The only times I've wondered whether one would add to my riding is after punching into a decent headwind when touring.
 
Thread starter
Funny. I'm about the same size as you m in sc.
 
I wish I was that tall, I'd be breathing different air.
 
m in sc_imp said:
the only reason i think it works for me is im short. im 5'8 on a good day. i have friends that i have let ride the cb that are 5'10-6'2 and they say its noisy. Im not a fan of th elooks but its the least obtrusive shield for it. it still may come off eventually. i do like the headlight ears they provided though.
Because of perceived "wind noise" by lack of faring, right? They can't be talking about the engine / exhaust...right? I've found that every faring laden bike I've ridden the wind shear is channeled right into my forehead and wears me out (I'm 6'3").
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Funny. I'm about the same size as you m in sc.
Yeah. Sounds pretty tall to me!
In defense of touring farkles (for lack of a better word), I can't justify having two bikes so I have two setups. I have a small fairing that just keeps the wind off my chest for daily running around, and then if I'm heading out for a tour I can add a tall windscreen and bags. Takes about 10 minutes to swap the screen and add the bags. I like the tall screen for long highway rides as my arms and neck feel the strain after a while without it. If it rains, I am relatively dry. I can handle a bit of buffeting. Neither setup is perfect, but they get me there.
 
Imagine if Honda primarily just made CB1100's year after year and few other models. They'd go belly up in 5 years. As much as we love the CB, it's sales here were lackluster and mostly to riders over 50. That's Harleys position right now, and their heyday is way past. They're never going to sell 250,000 big fat cruisers per year again. Ironically, their bikes have never been more powerful and close to giving you what you pay for than they are now. Honestly, to me, they are the least interesting motorcycles made, but to those who own the newer ones, more power to you...literally!
 
I think as CB riders, when it comes to HD, we “don’t get it.” I’m not suggesting anyone change their view or opinion about the bike or lifestyle, but certainly those who prefer HD’s are quite passionate about their likes and dislikes, just as many of us are about the bikes we enjoy, and it’s all good.

Totally agree with VLJ regarding added-on windscreens.
 
I've been riding for more than 50 years, and almost entirely (used) Hondas and Kawasakis, mainly because I could never justify spending the big bucks (plus HD dealers' "opportunistic markup" -- we had the opportunity, so we marked 'em up). Then when I turned 60 -- nearly 16 years ago -- I decided "If not now, when?" and bought my first Harley -- 2005 Dyna Wide Glide. I figured I would put up with all the usual Harley problems -- leaking oil, frequent breakdowns, etc. -- just to enjoy the "mystique" of the Harleys. Wow! Turns out I *loved* the bike, and *never* had a problem. Kept it 15 years, even did the SaddleSore 1000 on it. After the SS1000, however, I thought I would prefer a *smoother* engine, and bought my '14 Std CB1100 . Found myself riding the CB 80% of the time and finally decided to sell the Harley.

Then I also bought a Honda Fury -- mainly for the styling, and the CB became the one left sitting in the garage.

Then, during a casual stop at a Harley dealer -- "Just looking, honey!" -- I fell in love with the Harley Sport Glide. Pretty soon both Hondas were traded in for the Harley.

I don't ride in "packs", and I don't call myself a "biker" -- I'm simply a "motorcycle enthusiast". I've enjoyed every bike I've ever owned -- never met a cycle I didn't like -- and every time I'm on the bike -- be it Harley, Honda, Kawasaki -- by the time the ride is finished (most of them are less than 50 miles) there's a smile on my face and a spring in my step that lasts for hours after I'm back home.

Was the Harley (either one) worth the extra dollars I paid for it? Were *any* of the bikes worth the money I paid for them? Just answer this: what's a smile worth?!?
 
decarmine_imp said:
I've been riding for more than 50 years, and almost entirely (used) Hondas and Kawasakis, mainly because I could never justify spending the big bucks (plus HD dealers' "opportunistic markup" -- we had the opportunity, so we marked 'em up). Then when I turned 60 -- nearly 16 years ago -- I decided "If not now, when?" and bought my first Harley -- 2005 Dyna Wide Glide. I figured I would put up with all the usual Harley problems -- leaking oil, frequent breakdowns, etc. -- just to enjoy the "mystique" of the Harleys. Wow! Turns out I *loved* the bike, and *never* had a problem. Kept it 15 years, even did the SaddleSore 1000 on it. After the SS1000, however, I thought I would prefer a *smoother* engine, and bought my '14 Std CB1100 . Found myself riding the CB 80% of the time and finally decided to sell the Harley.

Then I also bought a Honda Fury -- mainly for the styling, and the CB became the one left sitting in the garage.

Then, during a casual stop at a Harley dealer -- "Just looking, honey!" -- I fell in love with the Harley Sport Glide. Pretty soon both Hondas were traded in for the Harley.

I don't ride in "packs", and I don't call myself a "biker" -- I'm simply a "motorcycle enthusiast". I've enjoyed every bike I've ever owned -- never met a cycle I didn't like -- and every time I'm on the bike -- be it Harley, Honda, Kawasaki -- by the time the ride is finished (most of them are less than 50 miles) there's a smile on my face and a spring in my step that lasts for hours after I'm back home.

Was the Harley (either one) worth the extra dollars I paid for it? Were *any* of the bikes worth the money I paid for them? Just answer this: what's a smile worth?!?
Well, there it is.
 
Back
Top