Another Harley Thread

b988781bd5b4e669f08bdb5fed4bb62b.mp4

:cool:
 
VLJ_imp said:
I'll never understand why so many people insist on having wind protection...while riding a motorcycle. It's a motorcycle, not a car. The whole idea is to be out there in the elements.

Smooth windflow on a no-windshield bike is easier to get along with and more relaxing than noisy turbulence from the windshield, not to mention having to look through that bug-splattered windshield. Plus, when it's hot, you don't receive the benefit of the cooling wind.

Having owned both types of bikes, and having tried my windshield bikes with and without their windshields, the ride was better every time without the windshield. Some bikes look ridiculous without their windshields (V-Strom, ST1300), but they still work better that way. Other bikes look much better without windshields, so adding one where it doesn't belong not only butchers the aesthetic, it diminishes the ride quality.

Ride a full weekend without the windshield. Get used to it. Quit talking yourself into thinking you have to have one. You don't, not on bikes like the CB1100. If it's a feet-forward cruiser that will turn your upper body into a sail without a windshield, okay, fine, but that only goes to prove, once again, that the basic cruiser design architecture is seriously flawed. The natural riding position on a motorcycle should include having your feet beneath you, with the upper body upright or canted slightly forward. No windshield necessary, at least up to eighty mph.

Allow yourself to get used to it, and you will never go back.
Hi, I sort of agree, having a windshield only on 1 of 3 of my bikes. I like riding without one, always have. Takes me back some 40 years ago when I could not afford a fairing. But, I like the smaller windshield I put on the 2017 CB1100EX. It does remove most of the wind that tires me sometimes. If you have not ridden in South Texas in the Spring, you do not know wind. Almost every day of fighting 30/40 mph wind is a pain. The shield is a plus then. Some 15 years back I was riding home from work, only 25 miles on my 1500 Vulcan Nomad and the wind was high, near 40/50 mph, even with the big bike, shield and all, I rode home on the access road next to the freeway. It was so bad, it was blowing me all over the road.
No shield then might have actually been better, not acting like a sail on a boat!

212695ee7cf90ebb12cade7293ccfcdb.jpg
 
Exactly. Increasing the relatively flat surface area of a motorcycle only makes it easier for the wind to catch that surface area and use it as a big sail. You would definitely be better off without the windshield then. At that point, you need to duck down and make yourself as small as possible, while slowing down.

Otherwise, the only thing that will help you is a massive increase in vehicle weight.

Oh, and while south Texas winds may be bad, they have nothing on the Hollister Corridor, or really bad nights up on the Grapevine.

The other thing is, man, just look at your picture there. That giant barn door atop the '17 EX absolutely ruins the aesthetic. It's the visual equivalent of a gorgeous lady using a walker.
 
VLJ_imp said:
Exactly. Increasing the relatively flat surface area of a motorcycle only makes it easier for the wind to catch that surface area and use it as a big sail. You would definitely be better off without the windshield then. At that point, you need to duck down and make yourself as small as possible, while slowing down.

Otherwise, the only thing that will help you is a massive increase in vehicle weight.

Oh, and while south Texas winds may be bad, they have nothing on the Hollister Corridor, or really bad nights up on the Grapevine.

The other thing is, man, just look at your picture there. That giant barn door atop the '17 EX absolutely ruins the aesthetic. It's the visual equivalent of a gorgeous lady using a walker.
Sometimes a lovely lady just needs a walker to make her life go better.
We all do what we need to do to ride our ride. If a windscreen makes the CB more ride-able for someone, who are we to bemoan their choice? As a UPS driver once said to me about other's poor driving, "It don't make no nevermind to me." It seems like a good attitude when making one's way through life.
It is interesting, though, how our choice of bike seems to represent our personality. The old saw says that doctors and dentists ride BMWs and mechanics ride KLRs, while lawyers and other criminals ride Harleys. Though I'm not sure all that is true, it's finda funny :angel:
The great thing is, there is a bike out there for almost everyone. If we spend less time critiquing other's choices, we will have more time for riding. :thumbsup::biker:
 
And yet here we all are on a message board, critiquing things instead of riding.

Methinks the two are not mutually exclusive. There is plenty enough time for both.
 
RLS_imp said:
I am looking to pickup a cruiser/touring bike to ride from Memphis to Denver than over to Scottsdale and back. I would love to do it on the CB, but I think it would wear me out. That said, I went and test rode some Harley's; a 2015 Dyna Low Rider, 2017 Heritage Soft tail and a 2018 Road King. All had about 4k to 6k miles and priced from $12k to $15k. I had a blast riding each of these bikes. Love the big 103 and 107 engines. However, when I get back on the CB to ride home, I am so glad I own this bike. It is superior in every way. I won't be getting a Harley, but I am interested in what bike would be a good stablemate for the CB, one that is better suited for touring. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Last month I picked up a 2014 CB 1100, and granted it is a nice little bike, but having toured out west for the last 6 years on a 2014 Road King, (previous to that on a 2009 Low Rider) I can say that the CB 1100 would be far from superior to the Harleys in the touring department. After all the Road King was made for long distance.
decarmine_imp said:
I've been riding for more than 50 years, and almost entirely (used) Hondas and Kawasakis, mainly because I could never justify spending the big bucks (plus HD dealers' "opportunistic markup" -- we had the opportunity, so we marked 'em up). Then when I turned 60 -- nearly 16 years ago -- I decided "If not now, when?" and bought my first Harley -- 2005 Dyna Wide Glide. I figured I would put up with all the usual Harley problems -- leaking oil, frequent breakdowns, etc. -- just to enjoy the "mystique" of the Harleys. Wow! Turns out I *loved* the bike, and *never* had a problem. Kept it 15 years, even did the SaddleSore 1000 on it. After the SS1000, however, I thought I would prefer a *smoother* engine, and bought my '14 Std CB1100 . Found myself riding the CB 80% of the time and finally decided to sell the Harley.

Then I also bought a Honda Fury -- mainly for the styling, and the CB became the one left sitting in the garage.

Then, during a casual stop at a Harley dealer -- "Just looking, honey!" -- I fell in love with the Harley Sport Glide. Pretty soon both Hondas were traded in for the Harley.

I don't ride in "packs", and I don't call myself a "biker" -- I'm simply a "motorcycle enthusiast". I've enjoyed every bike I've ever owned -- never met a cycle I didn't like -- and every time I'm on the bike -- be it Harley, Honda, Kawasaki -- by the time the ride is finished (most of them are less than 50 miles) there's a smile on my face and a spring in my step that lasts for hours after I'm back home.

Was the Harley (either one) worth the extra dollars I paid for it? Were *any* of the bikes worth the money I paid for them? Just answer this: what's a smile worth?!?
Great post, like you I like all motorcycles. I also ride Harleys, but recently picked up a 2014 CB 1100.
Never understood people trash talking other brands, being on 2 wheels whatever you're riding is what its all about.
 
VLJ_imp said:
Exactly. Increasing the relatively flat surface area of a motorcycle only makes it easier for the wind to catch that surface area and use it as a big sail. You would definitely be better off without the windshield then. At that point, you need to duck down and make yourself as small as possible, while slowing down.

Otherwise, the only thing that will help you is a massive increase in vehicle weight.

Oh, and while south Texas winds may be bad, they have nothing on the Hollister Corridor, or really bad nights up on the Grapevine.

The other thing is, man, just look at your picture there. That giant barn door atop the '17 EX absolutely ruins the aesthetic. It's the visual equivalent of a gorgeous lady using a walker.
Hi, walker or not, the shield helps with rain too. Got home today on a short 70 mile ride on the Kawasaki, and I actually thought about your post while I was riding this morning. I love the Z900RS without the shield, hauls a** better. But, I got caught in a heavy, cannot see the road, downpour last summer on it, and man that rain hurt my arms. I wear a full-face helmet and riding stuff, but it was about 100F and I had on a short-sleeve shirt. Then, I would have liked a shield, but most of the time, no. I do not think the EX looks that bad with the small shield I installed. You can see right through it!
 
Until it gets splattered with bugs. Five minutes into any springtime ride here across the valley, that erstwhile clear shield would be nearly opaque.
 
read recently that Harley laid off 700 employees and their CFO
 
Obviously Harley had some issues prior to the Covid19 pandemic and the current business environment isn't making things any better for the MoCo.

After reading about the lay-offs in Ferret's post above I searched for and read the article.

1). Harley is replacing their top financial guy with someone that ran a sneaker company. The previous guy came to Harley via being a comptroller for Kraft foods. Something tells me with or without him the company would have been profitable through the past 17 years. For the company's past year performance he received":

John A. Olin made $3,309,966 in total compensation. Of this total $671,375 was received as a salary, $816,325 was received as a bonus, $0 was received in stock options, $1,746,053 was awarded as stock and $76,213 came from other types of compensation. This information is according to proxy statements filed for the 2019 fiscal year.

He received more in a performance bonus then he got for his base pay in a DISMAL sales year.

Now a tennis shoe exec is up next:

Jochen Zeitz (born April 6, 1963 in Mannheim, Germany) is the President, CEO and Chairman of the Board of Harley Davidson, Inc.[1] He served as the Chairman and CEO of PUMA, the global Sporting Goods company for 18 years. He also served as Board Member of Kering, the luxury goods company, and chaired their Sustainability Committee for whom he developed its global sustainability strategy. In addition to this Zeitz also served on the board of Wilderness Safaris. Zeitz is currently a Board Member of Harley Davidson, Cranemere, and the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS). Jochen Zeitz is also the co-founder of The B Team[2] with Sir Richard Branson and Founder of the Zeitz Foundation to support sustainable solutions that balance conservation, community, culture and commerce.

He had a great run at PUMA. Will be interesting to see what happens now at the MoCo. For myself, I'm betting not much. Sustainability and Green are all over his bio. The MoCo's bread and butter motor platform runs counter to that.
 
Personally I think that it will be a VERY tough road ahead for Harley , in sales and in stock price. I hope that I am wrong but I have NEVER been wrong before....
 
I read today that Harley stock was back in the buy column and doing very well today selling at $ 28,27 up 5.52%
 
I have always taken stock buying / selling recommendations with a pinch of salt , sometimes the person/company has an alternative motive .I prefer to make my own mistakes but have done very well over the years in the stock market.
 
Why do Harley riders always disparage the Sportsters?

Re: VLJ's comments on wind "protection": in 2018 three buddies and I rented two Road Glides and two Street Glides in Texas. All four riders of greatly different statures experienced horrible buffeting from their bikes. The fairings and windscreens were worse than worthless. I was annoyed because I had reserved a naked Fat Boy but was handed a Street Glide. I also tried every OEM windscreen on my Triumph Thunderbird and none of them were satisfactory. The tallest screen was the least offensive in terms of buffeting but it was terrible in hot weather (no air flow) and disastrous in rain (again, no air flow to clear your visor).

I just rode 1200 miles on a naked bike and had no problems with or annoyance from the slipstream, even when passing slow traffic at >90 mph.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Why do Harley riders always disparage the Sportsters?

Re: VLJ's comments on wind "protection": in 2018 three buddies and I rented two Road Glides and two Street Glides in Texas. All four riders of greatly different statures experienced horrible buffeting from their bikes. The fairings and windscreens were worse than worthless. I was annoyed because I had reserved a naked Fat Boy but was handed a Street Glide. I also tried every OEM windscreen on my Triumph Thunderbird and none of them were satisfactory. The tallest screen was the least offensive in terms of buffeting but it was terrible in hot weather (no air flow) and disastrous in rain (again, no air flow to clear your visor).

I just rode 1200 miles on a naked bike and had no problems with or annoyance from the slipstream, even when passing slow traffic at >90 mph.

You mean the girl bikes? I’ve always wondered that myself.
911964690378cc3d9d11996f86896e42.png
I had a VROD for a number of years and had Harley guys tell me it wasn’t a “real” Harley because Porsche designed it. There’s an intramural hierarchy in the HD world for sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top