another bike in the family

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Not mine, although I wouldn't mind having it. My nephew Mike sold his somewhat problematic KTM 690 Duke and scooped up a great deal on a brand new left over Suzuki SFV 650 Gladius. Had to go to Indiana to pick it up. His brother rides the Honda NC 700X my wife and I borrowed when we went to Nevada last fall, and rode Ebbetts and Monitor passes in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. These 2 bikes are on my radar for when the ST 1300 gets too heavy for me and I decide to go to a lighter bike. Both seem like very nice bikes. Can't wait to test ride this one.

 
Thread starter
Mike had an 03? SV 650 before he went European on us. It was a great bike and what convinced him to get this Gladius over another KTM.
 
Mike has a wild man look on his face! Hope that bike has a rev limiter :)
 
Thread starter
LOL Mike is a very good rider, very good. I can keep up with him for the first 2 turns and then he just disappears. I call him the Wind Bender. The guy approaches turns at speeds I say "Uh oh, oh no way is he going to make this one" and woosh he bends his body and he's through it and out the other side. Quite amazing to watch, especially given his size. He was a top notch youth moto crosser.

If it has a rev limiter, he will find it lol
 
One of our regulars at The Grotto on Sunday rides that bike. Naturally he loves it. :)

We admire it too. I like the motor.
 
That little 650 twin is a darling of an engine. The SV650 and first gen V-strom 650 shared the same engine (revised cams and such thing as that reduced peak hp and boosted torque on the Strom). The 2012+ V-strom shares the same basic engine as the Gladius which was revised from the SV650 to offer more low and mid range power.

My 2013 V-strom is noticeably smoother than was my 2006. It's happy to rev or just plunk along. The lighter weight of the SFV650 should make a fun little bike.
 
A friend of my son's has a Gladius, tuned down a bit to meet Australian Learner rider requirements. She likes it. I've ridden with her a couple of times and it gets along really well.
 
Gladius. What a great bike! What a terrible name! What were they thinking?

btw, the bike looks great with the plastic covers over the frame tubes removed.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Gladius. What a great bike! What a terrible name! What were they thinking?

btw, the bike looks great with the plastic covers over the frame tubes removed.
agree on all counts lol. At least they changed the blue/white paint scheme. Yea he was talking about removing the frame covers, he already has a shorty pipe coming for it, and a set of handlebars and bar end mirrors. Farkle fever all around.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Gladius. What a great bike! What a terrible name! What were they thinking?

btw, the bike looks great with the plastic covers over the frame tubes removed.


Hmmm.. Gladius.

That was the Roman Short Sword (?).

Probably very effective combined with a shield.. but the Suzy Gladius has no shield !

So I guess if I got one and added a windshield, I'd have a Gladius AND a Shield.. ready to battle !


(edit: I'd be a true Gladiator with my Gladius AND a Shield ! sorry, couldn't resist :-) nyuck nyuck nyuck... )
 
Thread starter
I believe for 2015 they dropped the Gladius name and just call it an SVF 650, but alas the damage has been done. Everyone knows it's a Gladius lol
 
That's the problem with using a cool name from history on an uneducated public. :angel:
 
Suzuki should have stayed with the SV name brand to begin with but still a lovely and capable bike. I agree with mickey on the blue and white color scheme though.

here was my 05
 
Back
Top