An Unplanned Trip

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
I had intended to spend the last two weeks of October riding south to Phillip Island for the Australian MotoGP. Due to the untimely death of an old and dear friend, I had to abandon the plan so my wife and I could travel across the Tasman Sea (known fondly as 'The Ditch') to New Zealand for the memorial. We took the opportunity to go for a few days and catch up with other friends.

On the first morning we were there, we walked to Lyall Bay for breakfast and I spied this on the street.
5ecb587d2f97eab438bc3501619bbe3d.jpg


c30e7cc1617cb2f8c78cb8ccc1525de9.jpg


Then, over the weekend, our friends took us to the Southward Auto Museum at Paraparaumu which has an extraordinary collection of cars and more than a few bikes.

I'll start with a car as it's the first you see as you walk through the door.




This 1950 'Gangster Cadillac' features bullet holes, a bomb proof floor and glass the thickness of a matchbox. Here's the wrap sheet for it.


Sitting right next to Comrade Cohen's ride was this.






Although there were bikes scattered all over the floor amongst the cars, the majority was on a mezzanine along one side of the huge shed. On the way there, I came across this modest V8, built in NZ






Then it was up the stairs




 
Cormanus_imp said:
I had intended to spend the last two weeks of October riding south to Phillip Island for the Australian MotoGP. Due to the untimely death of an old and dear friend, I had to abandon the plan so my wife and I could travel across the Tasman Sea (known fondly as 'The Ditch') to New Zealand for the memorial. We took the opportunity to go for a few days and catch up with other friends.

On the first morning we were there, we walked to Lyall Bay for breakfast and I spied this on the street.
5ecb587d2f97eab438bc3501619bbe3d.jpg


c30e7cc1617cb2f8c78cb8ccc1525de9.jpg


Then, over the weekend, our friends took us to the Southward Auto Museum at Paraparaumu which has an extraordinary collection of cars and more than a few bikes.

I'll start with a car as it's the first you see as you walk through the door.




This 1950 'Gangster Cadillac' features bullet holes, a bomb proof floor and glass the thickness of a matchbox. Here's the wrap sheet for it.


Sitting right next to Comrade Cohen's ride was this.






Although there were bikes scattered all over the floor amongst the cars, the majority was on a mezzanine along one side of the huge shed. On the way there, I came across this modest V8, built in NZ






Then it was up the stairs






you will never get me to believe that that thing can turn. wherever it was built, it must have traveled in a perfectly straight line in order to park on that spot. in fact, i'm inclined to believe that it was there first and they built the building around it.

edit: it says it traveled 12000km on the roads in new zealand? i didn't know you had 12000km of perfectly straight roads in new zealand. that's pretty impressive for an island. must be like a mobius strip, only PERFECTLY STRAIGHT.
 
Thread starter
The Allardice Hybrid, also from NZ
d3f42beea180e963a68c9d25f2a86302.jpg


d4f309e7916eb75912879ac359f6be2c.jpg


0267904a9708dc7ee559a531f8114ad9.jpg


88a509e6523fcbfc658ca12320aaaffe.jpg


57987b8bd0f1510c499ed39464a05dc4.jpg


8985dbf4a55e7bef552c86cc66dcea5c.jpg


46202f263a595b7382a51e23f898f786.jpg


ec870460fe439a680a6fd1520990a86b.jpg


And this Indian Chief
9b47638d316b3fb37f1c543f0131a623.jpg


b7d49f789779437bc6811f330c3cc9b8.jpg


3bdf02c9e4ff9658402d2f5b828838b9.jpg


6669d34aa12e50db8fbaed08bdb2aab9.jpg


b568c8635d96a33c8e5b4f53980cf6c7.jpg


8bd8eefe55de273fcd9c430845814e95.jpg

misterprofessionality_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I had intended to spend the last two weeks of October riding south to Phillip Island for the Australian MotoGP. Due to the untimely death of an old and dear friend, I had to abandon the plan so my wife and I could travel across the Tasman Sea (known fondly as 'The Ditch') to New Zealand for the memorial. We took the opportunity to go for a few days and catch up with other friends.

On the first morning we were there, we walked to Lyall Bay for breakfast and I spied this on the street.
5ecb587d2f97eab438bc3501619bbe3d.jpg


c30e7cc1617cb2f8c78cb8ccc1525de9.jpg


Then, over the weekend, our friends took us to the Southward Auto Museum at Paraparaumu which has an extraordinary collection of cars and more than a few bikes.

I'll start with a car as it's the first you see as you walk through the door.




This 1950 'Gangster Cadillac' features bullet holes, a bomb proof floor and glass the thickness of a matchbox. Here's the wrap sheet for it.


Sitting right next to Comrade Cohen's ride was this.






Although there were bikes scattered all over the floor amongst the cars, the majority was on a mezzanine along one side of the huge shed. On the way there, I came across this modest V8, built in NZ






Then it was up the stairs






you will never get me to believe that that thing can turn. wherever it was built, it must have traveled in a perfectly straight line in order to park on that spot. in fact, i'm inclined to believe that it was there first and they built the building around it.

edit: it says it traveled 12000km on the roads in new zealand? i didn't know you had 12000km of perfectly straight roads in new zealand. that's pretty impressive for an island. must be like a mobius strip, only PERFECTLY STRAIGHT.

you will never get me to believe that that thing can turn. wherever it was built, it must have traveled in a perfectly straight line in order to park on that spot. in fact, i'm inclined to believe that it was there first and they built the building around it.

edit: it says it traveled 12000km on the roads in new zealand? i didn't know you had 12000km of perfectly straight roads in new zealand. that's pretty impressive for an island. must be like a mobius strip, only PERFECTLY STRAIGHT.
My limited experience of NZ's roads is that they're far from straight. Maybe they just stop the bike in the middle of the road and turn the planet somehow?
 
Thread starter
I'll continue with an early model litre bike ...
01355c1ba1fb16e024b1de0be0ecb488.jpg


This Nimbus was made by a vacuum cleaner company!
5dc7d618f6fe2c68d3dccbc9b7fcf413.jpg


610853684ba56b613a9e496054c19306.jpg


60beba12b22b62de7e660487a750936e.jpg


fd038198a6155ee8c1bc0d54ac659d02.jpg


be35e25742a536ad092ae87d125d046a.jpg


287f61ca655a2e71e746b5c4d58e830a.jpg


This is a Reynolds Runabout made in the UK in 1910 ...
0edd3e0037dcad7218cf58d91c8cb5e3.jpg


3e4f6225cae4d8d038ca4e78eac0eb9d.jpg


64bf13e0056257f2c3b26900805559ab.jpg


af4705f71a74651b6b6b97272255bf51.jpg


The neatly named Ner-A-Car ...
0dc2c8cc10c93beabff708aed18df92f.jpg


I can supply the wrap sheet if anyone's interested.

Then there's this 1908 FN from Belgium ...
2022982eb551d453fa26614175d58e93.jpg


And a 1908 Model D Douglas from the UK. Actually, 'The Douglas'.
46a309461892cab560f46d1e95a18491.jpg
 
Very cool old bikes. I love that stuff.
 
Thread starter
Then it was back downstairs, initially for a more modern style of motorcycle.
16bc2769e7e9b8332815f68835d0f539.jpg


e603428020b94052516f25cc883edf18.jpg


My wife thought something like this might be handy for camping together ...
2f56334bcec9aa8924c64b2dccb238ce.jpg


I've included the story.
5d40381482fd8dd6dd4398f7d576ab05.jpg


0e4fa9078dda583d499cfb4cc596c568.jpg


This little thing ...
2a3ddeedcd80edacd54a92e50fe5cdbf.jpg


... has to push this along ...
b12523fa170f1bf28bc87a86bd8b0235.jpg


Finally, two cars. The first because it's a Honda and, I suspect, has a motorcycle engine. Someone might know.
ce33be07e0aa32b0fa23815504cc0990.jpg


I'm going to cheat and include the blurb 'cause it's easy.
127be912857cfa37017599902555716e.jpg


And then this beauty from Mercedes. Read the newspaper article.
d8622cfd99a43189813f8fb5d5bff6e7.jpg


f232d9af06e5d8625ba76bb9d7372abe.jpg


That was it for the remarkable Southward Museum.

We also visited Te Papa, the National Museum in Wellington. As with nearly all museums I've ever been to, it was overwhelming. They need to be approached in bite-sized goes so you can spend time with one or two things at a time.

But there was this Britten litre bike.
51a402b027f839166a55135d06f6f72e.jpg


b3d34a47f8cd3d5b8a85cfb8e1a1a45f.jpg


c8ecb88c77bcbb18e3c032155b47506b.jpg


That's all folks.
 
Well I don't know everything about early Honda cars, but the S600 as listed on the plaqaurd was a very special sports car for Honda which is why we saw an S2000 a few years ago which Guth owns. THe interesting thing imo about the S600 is not only did it out perform the British sports cars that it was designed to compete against...by a bunch, but it was chain final drive ( like a motorcycle) only with chains going to both rear wheels.
 
There is more motorcycle history in this world that I could ever imagine! Thanks for posting this Cormanus.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Outstanding collection! Thanks for sharing!

How many Brittens were made? Can you imagine what that bike would be like today?!
I’m afraid this all the info I could find on the Britten.

df79e271d7fb6adc732ccee415223f8b.jpg

Here you go, LR, John Britten - Wikipedia and Britten V1000 - Wikipedia

This one looks like a V1000 he also made a V1100. There were 10 in all and 1 prototype.
 
Thanks for the nice pictures.
I saw a black CBX in one of the photo's , in the USA we had a black CBX in 1980 but ours had reversed Comstar spokes in black , yours had silver 79 style spokes . Perhaps different countries had different wheels.
 
Thread starter
Well spotted, Houtman. I didn't get any other photos of the CBX or its information sheet, so I can't tell you what year it was.
 
Back
Top