An early Christmas gift

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Trying to get classes ready for winter term in January (still all on-line at our college), but too many tech problems, too much zoom ...and too much dry weather on an Oregon December day for me to be inside.

I think one winter, must have been about 15 years ago, we had 35, 36 consecutive days of rain, and I don't recall seeing the sun during that time. Maybe a few sunbursts--a term I really dislike because of its implications. So when phone said no rain today and temps would reach high 40s, maybe even 50, I knew work could wait.

I was all set to go north by northwest out of Portland on 30 which hugs the Columbia River and head towards Longview and Clatskanie, but the low grey cloud bank off in that direction looked ominous, so I crossed the river on the 205 bridge and headed east on hiway 14 in Washington...towards plenty of daylight.

It's a route that I've done often, but just never before in December. Head east on 14 through Camas, maybe cross back over to OR at the Bridge of the Gods, or go a bit farther and cross at Hood River. This was a gift that needed to be opened today, for tonight the rains return.

Just east of Camas, looking across the Columbia with Mt. Hood in the distance.
d3d5542b8fa5e5b3db2c549fef4c2192.jpg


I had on thin liner gloves, my winter gloves, and rain overgloves--the 3 keep my hands just warm enough.

I absolutely love this view...I've posted similar photos prolly 5 times before...but never on a December 18th:
8f9417eaa50f365e05dbbc2fd279346a.jpg


Been feeling a little tight in the hip of late, and riding the CB1100 usually makes it more noticeable, so I added another bleacher pad.
3cd54da48731624d91538ab53d67b95f.jpg


Looking beyond the bike and up, you can see hiway 14, which is the spot where I took the two previous photos:
78040427a8566f499dd36ad9afbc7764.jpg


64ce43e4e7080a2c91d2dcef6a0a7a4d.jpg


018bc6c8830ab344eb2449e41cb98af0.jpg


That right there is a Honda Shadow
7c251d8314d1a51746bcd1bbff8827a4.jpg


The Bridge of the Gods is a gorgeous bridge to cross, but the weather was too nice to start the return back. Somewhere after Stevenson and before the Hood River bridge:
c1e789ccfbb7217293e93762b3c568ad.jpg


The bridge has $2 toll for cars, but only $1 for a motorcycle. Back on the Oregon side:
cae062f5b9787d9a2bb0c82d5a3e759d.jpg
 
Early Christmas present indeed

Very scenic
 
Thread starter
After 2 and a half hours, I was starting to feel the cold in my toes and fingers...time to head back towards Gresham. There's no avoiding I-84 at this point, but I could get off at Ainsworth to take the historic hiway 30 west. Not many people out at 3:30pm.

Hiway 30 has scads of waterfalls and the Gorge just fills with moisture.
9bbe6fed5eb05af161e129bbb90e3349.jpg


It's fun to look back across the Columbia and see the other side and where I had just come from:
abc6fee860d20d3d746704d89188827a.jpg


Multnomah Falls...if you are ever in the area, don't miss it, something like 630 feet tall. Usually it's heavily visited to packed, winter time less so...winter time with covid and there just are not that many visitors.
c58ac38d9fecff3e0fe7561bb527d66f.jpg


About 140 miles...undoudtedly, this will be my favorite gift.
 
Love that Shadow! It’s very pretty where you live pdedse.
 
Nicely done pdedse! I was thinking the same thing you were, but alas, couldn't get out (last day of school for my students, and I was "zooming" in a different way). :) Peace to you this holiday season!
 
That highway 30 is a neat diversion off the 84. Been on it many times on the bike and auto. Lots of history there. Lots of things to see. Cool 2 lane road.

Thanks
 
Thread starter
bioman_imp said:
Beautiful pictures! Thanks for showing them. Once the border is open again I should visit Oregon!
Stop by for a visit!

Thanks for the kind comments, all. The Columbia Gorge is one of those areas with breathtaking view after view. I try not to take it for granted.
 
My brother used to spend one week a year in Hood River to windsurf. At the time I was jealous because of the great fly fishing in the area which was my hobby at the time. In fact, he brought me a hat from the Gorge Fly Shop that was my favorite hat until it blew off my head while hiking in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park.

Now I’m newly jealous because of the great roads and vistas you depicted here, pdedse. Simply beautiful and beautifully captured.

Merry Christmas.
 
Great ride, great pics! The Gorge is an amazing scenic ride (if the wind is calm). I first rode it in the mid 80s on an overloaded Kaw KZ750. There was a gusting 55 mph crosswind the whole way. I don't remember any of the scenery on that ride. It was all I could do to keep the bike between the lines.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
Great ride, great pics! The Gorge is an amazing scenic ride (if the wind is calm). I first rode it in the mid 80s on an overloaded Kaw KZ750. There was a gusting 55 mph crosswind the whole way. I don't remember any of the scenery on that ride. It was all I could do to keep the bike between the lines.
It can be windy! Crossing the steel grated bridges with the wind is a fun experience. Part of the reason I own a more hefty CB1100 and not a lighter Triumph Street Twin is because of the wind in the Gorge.

But the wind brings opportunities. One of the activities I'd still like to try is kite boarding, and Hood River is of the hottest spots I'm told. Not my photos, but just to share the idea:

6ed6f8a10b52a308c1957b43d5d3b498.jpg


I ride my cb out there in the summer just to watch them:

bf555d3578d60ef8d2ce188a073432d9.jpg


Maybe next summer!
 
More wonderful photos, pdedse!
 
Back
Top