Am I priced wrong?

And that's the point many folks have when considering a used bike. They don't want the last guy's brown seat, fancy-dancy exhaust, missing rear fender, rattle-can paint job, or ape hangers. They want the bike to be original. It gives peace of mind. If possible, at least from where I sit, I think it's best to cast the broadest net by returning a bike to stock before attempting to sell it.
 
They're not popular around here! The mid-70's CB500T came with one, but I don't think it helped the sales of that bike. Maybe it's a hipster thing.
 
To each their own, if a brown seat is what someone likes, then that's what they should have. I have no idea why I find brown (tan) seats so attractive in cars but not at all on motorcycles. It's purely a gut reaction.

LongRanger_imp said:
They're not popular around here! The mid-70's CB500T came with one, but I don't think it helped the sales of that bike. Maybe it's a hipster thing.
This has long been my assumption as such seats appear to be plentiful around here in Portland which is hipster central. I just figured the brown seats were more of an accessory item to compliment the color of their ample facial hair. (Man, life would be tough for me these days if I were still a young man — I've never really been able to grow a beard, lol.) While we do have countless bikes running around here with brown seats (including plenty of old CBs) no disrespect intended towards anyone here who really digs their brown saddle. As far as the two-wheeled hipsters go, well I figure that if they're into motorcycles then that makes at least one thing we have in common.
 
m in sc_imp said:
can SOMEBODY explain to me why brown seats got popular, on anything? I really dont understand, at all.

Maybe brown seats match the brown stains in the pants of riders that live on the edge?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
m in sc_imp said:
can SOMEBODY explain to me why brown seats got popular, on anything? I really dont understand, at all.
The succinct, correct, undebatable (and forum founder appropriate) answer is because some people do like them. It's really no different than the way it is with just about anything when it comes to motorcycles. The old CB500T has always been the first bike that comes to mind for me personally when it comes to brown seats from a historical perspective. But there are doubtless other far more illustrious examples out there to be cited.
 
Thread starter
I've had a number of calls concerning the bike and I think it would have sold quickly if it was stock. The exhaust throws folks, and I don't blame them, but it really is a shame because the exhaust with the power controller is a great setup. When I bought the bike I thought that I would install the stock pipes, I like things original too, but after riding with this setup for a while....no way.
 
The moral of this thread, John, is that you MUST keep the bike!
 
Oh my, yea that's not sun fade, that's a paint job. Get some Krylon for plastics black satin and repaint them if you want them black.
 
Hey in case this helps . . .

I sold my mint condition DLX about a month ago. It had under 2,000 miles on it, was totally stock other than the front engine guard, and in as close to just-rolled-out-of-the-showroom condition as any 4 year old bike could be.

I believe I listed it at $8,500. I sold it for $7,900.

I agree with those who have said it all comes down to finding that 1 buyer who wants precisely what you are selling. I posted my bike here and on Cycle Trader, and linked up with the buyer (who lived over 1,000 miles away) within 24 hours of listing the bike.

I'm also a big believer in selling during the May-June timeframe when possible, when motorcycle fever is most in the air in those portions of the country that have a cold winter where bikes need to be stored for a few months.

I wish the seller success in selling a beautiful and well-cared for machine!
 
Back
Top