am I overthinking this?

12cb96vfr_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hey guys, I'm extremely anal when it comes to anything bike related but I'm wondering if I'm being too paranoid about this.

I've read some other posts but I'm curious what you all think.
I did my first oil change and put in 4qt, now it's reading high. Do I drain some out, our let it go as is?

I've always heard too much oil is worse than too little, but I only put in 4qt so how much can possibly be in there? I could see if I added 5qt by mistake or something like that.

What do y'all think? Drain some out, or rock n roll? The site glass is completely full btw, I took it on a 3 mile ride (it was fully warmed up), then checked it when I got home on level ground on the centerstand.
 
4 qts over filled my 13, so when I did my 14s first service I held back 4 oz out of the gallon and put the rest in. looks perfect to me. btw I ran my 13 with the sight window covered no issues and my 14 came with the sight window covered but I only ran that 500 miles before performing the first service.

my guess yours is only a couple oz high and I wouldn't worry about it.
 
I always put 4¼ quarts in mine when I change the oil, but then again I let it drip until it almost stops and I end up not quite to the top line.
 
I change mine hot, so it's thin and drains better. On top of that I usually find something else to do for an hour or so while it drains. At the last change, I filled with 1 gallon and it came out just below the upper fill line in the window.

I'm a bit paranoid about overfilling. On a few occasions over the years, I've miscounted and added an extra quart. This was soon followed by leaking gaskets (and oil in the airbox).
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I change mine hot, so it's thin and drains better. On top of that I usually find something else to do for an hour or so while it drains. At the last change, I filled with 1 gallon and it came out just below the upper fill line in the window.

I'm a bit paranoid about overfilling. On a few occasions over the years, I've miscounted and added an extra quart. This was soon followed by leaking gaskets (and oil in the airbox).
Let me guess... wenching? :D
 
an extra quart could be an issue. a couple extra ounces, not so much. Guarantee take it in to a shop for service and it's a 5 minute drain and a gallon thown in and a covered window.
 
The ferret_imp said:
an extra quart could be an issue. a couple extra ounces, not so much. Guarantee take it in to a shop for service and it's a 5 minute drain and a gallon thown in and a covered window.
Covered windows don't kill bikes. A lot of us have covered windows.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
an extra quart could be an issue. a couple extra ounces, not so much. Guarantee take it in to a shop for service and it's a 5 minute drain and a gallon thown in and a covered window.
Covered windows don't kill bikes. A lot of us have covered windows.


I cover all my windows, don't want anyone seeing me nekkid!! :D
 
Damfino_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
an extra quart could be an issue. a couple extra ounces, not so much. Guarantee take it in to a shop for service and it's a 5 minute drain and a gallon thown in and a covered window.
Covered windows don't kill bikes. A lot of us have covered windows.


I cover all my windows, don't want anyone seeing me nekkid!! :D


I cover all my windows, don't want anyone seeing me nekkid!! :D
Funny you should say that as I'm a) shopping for an action cam b) being hassled for porn by spaceman, and c) under close scrutiny from ferret for being perverted.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I change mine hot, so it's thin and drains better. On top of that I usually find something else to do for an hour or so while it drains. At the last change, I filled with 1 gallon and it came out just below the upper fill line in the window.

I'm a bit paranoid about overfilling. On a few occasions over the years, I've miscounted and added an extra quart. This was soon followed by leaking gaskets (and oil in the airbox).
Let me guess... wenching? :D
:rofl: Bwaaaahaahaa! :rofl:
 
You guys kill me :rofl:
When I last changed my oil I put 4 qts. in, it filled the sight glass. After approximately 2000 miles, I checked it yesterday and I am now at the top line. I think your good, a couple ounces over full is not going to hurt you. Ride on :biker:
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
I have a covered wagon. I'm going to take it west to Oklahoma and get in on the free homesteading just as soon as I can afford two ox and a goat.
A surreal twist has just appeared on this strangest of threads.


Call the Moonies!
 
Tortuga_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
I have a covered wagon. I'm going to take it west to Oklahoma and get in on the free homesteading just as soon as I can afford two ox and a goat.
A surreal twist has just appeared on this strangest of threads.


Call the Moonies!
A surreal twist has just appeared on this strangest of threads.


Call the Moonies!
I think he's telling us how rich he is: a convertible Mini, a CB1100 and a covered wagon with oxen and goats on the way.
 
Back
Top