Almost went down

use2b_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Almost went down today and think i understand why.
after reading the sad post a few days back of the member who dropped his new bike right after buying it i understand more now.
traffic is heavy here like everywhere and so i had to take the opportunity to jump out into a hole that was open and no ABS can help you with this.
there was much sand at the intersection and the torque comes on quickly combined with the sudden response from the fuel injection i lost traction and did a really cool 180 in front of a lot of cars barring down on me and drove off in the opposite direction. kinda like peewee Herman i played like i planned to go the other way all along. " meant to do that " .
yesterday i rode the CB750K and it has so much less torque at low RPM's and the carbs come on and off so much slower i screwed up but looked so cool doing it and will only share my F-up with you guys so i hope you gain knowledge from this.

 
Nice save, use2b. Sometimes the Gods of traction smile upon us.
 
Yep nice save. That was a serious one. We don't have sand here, but we have gravel.

On yesterdays ride I was going thru a 45 mph left hander when the front wheel slid off line, I don't know 6 or 8" maybe?, kinda gives you a lump in your stomach, but then it hooked up again, and continued on. Didn't see any gravel, but as slick as it slid out it was probably oil or anti freeze or something.
 
The old half donut in heavy traffic trick, eh? Sounds pretty scary, actually. Glad you're ok, use2b. Nice job keeping it together!
 
Nice save use2b! I guess traction control would have helped in that instance. Maybe my next bike will have both abs and traction control.
 
Glad you held the bike up use2b! Gee, this scares a rookie like me. My 50 years motorcycle driving experience has been on smaller Hondas (CL350 and below). So far, I was only able to put 63 miles on my new CB1100! Maybe I should install matching training wheels on my CB? :D :D :D
 
suhawk305_imp said:
Glad you held the bike up use2b! Gee, this scares a rookie like me. My 50 years motorcycle driving experience has been on smaller Hondas (CL350 and below). So far, I was only able to put 63 miles on my new CB1100! Maybe I should install matching training wheels on my CB? :D :D :D
Naaa, just be aware; be alert and ride your own ride.
It will all come together.
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
Nice save use2b! I guess traction control would have helped in that instance. Maybe my next bike will have both abs and traction control.
Yup, traction control would definitely have helped out. That's why my commuter bike has both.
 
XOf course there are lighter, smaller and less powerful bikes out on the market than the CB, which may fit the needs of a beginner better, if there is a better.

But it surely depends on the physics and the character
of the starter, if the Honda can be the one, to learn how to drive a motorbike. It's not so easy for me, to imagine after the long time I'm driving motorbikes, how a person without any experience may feel sitting on a CB.
If he or she will give some time to improve and grow together with the Honda, the case is not impossible.

The CB brings some good points to the table, an upright sitting position, a solid and trusty frame, an engine that is predictable with linear power, good brakes and although beeing not light, easy to handle once in motion.

Besides the question, if the CB may be a good choice to start riding motorbikes, I would answer, give it a try, but always be careful, wether you have some lessons learned or not. I try to be careful after all these years all the time and don't let the Honda surprise me too much in speeding up or slowing down. And the Honda like most other bikes is able to surprise, often in a kind way.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top