Almost sold the CB

Griso Guy_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I had my 2014 CB 1100 for sale for a couple of days. I was lamenting the fact that I sold my K1200 GT and it seemed that any medium to long range touring was no longer in my future. Hence I bought the CB1100, great bike pretty simple, a nice alternative to my Griso. Last week I started looking at mid sized sport tourers. I originally sold my BMW for a variety of reason first being it was a whale, once under way it did handle very well however. Secondly it was over engineered and complex to the point of discouraging DIY. All the mid sized tourers I looked were complex, and really expensive. This morning I realized that I could probably make the CB a decent tourer with a few additions. I went to Moto Machines and priced a set of the Locket side carrier racks and a set of Junior Flash 30 hard bags. $928 in all with free shipping. I will probably have the panels on the bags painted to match the bike. I already have a gps unit and a windshield. I live in AZ so I really don't need a heated seat or grips or an electrically adjustable wind shield or ESA. I just want a simple tourer. Thoughts?
 
Excellent idea. Unless one wants to tour on the super slabs there is little reason to want more than the CB1100 I think. I had the Junior Flash bags on a Triumph Tiger. These are nicely made, rugged and water tight even when riding in heavy rain.
 
Great idea, GG. Look forward to seeing pictures and reading of your adventures.
 
Getting a fairing should not be a problem. Fabricating a mount will be - interesting. :)
 
I've done lots of trips on the CB. Just finished 1700 miles from Fl. To NC, TN and back. Initially rode it from Toledo OH to FL. when first purchased. Have also done 2200+ miles round trip to the Dragon and Knoxville a couple times. No windshield, stock seat. Cruises between 65 and 75 with no issues. I don't ride Interstates. The CB is an excellent touring bike, needs nothing IMO. I have a Corbin tank bag, some Cycle Gear soft bags and a barrel bag I bungee across the seat. Plenty of room for 10 days worth of stuff. Enjoy your travels ;)
 
Geezer...post a pic of your set up if you get a chance.
 
I've been thinking about bags since I am selling my Honda NT (sport tourer) I like those moto machines Junior 30 hard bags but I cant decide between them and the Oval Street soft bags that use the c-bow mounts. For the few times I'd go on a long distance tour, the lesser cost of the soft system may be all I need. And the black c-bow mount would probably make the CB look more pleasing to the eye than the chrome rails hanging there when there are no bags mounted. SIGH, its great to have so many options with the CB, isn't it?!
 
I hate to be the one guy that disagrees but I just don't see the CB1100 as a good touring platform at all. Sure you can stick all the bags and luggage you want all over it and attach some huge wind sail to the front and call it a Tourer but a true sport Tourer would be a FJR1300 or a Kawi Concourse. These bikes just don't look right with all that stuff stuck to it and I don't think the size and frame of this bike plus lack of fairings and suspension would make a real good long distance bike. I believe this bike is a nice commuter or second bike for around town or maybe a Weekender with some throw over soft luggage but not a Tourer. Once again, only my opinion, anyone can make it work for there use/pleasure.
 
Depends on your definition of touring. Super slabbing on huge motorcycles is touring to most USA citizens, but it is so far from what I consider touring it is not even funny. Modern riders are spoiled by a wide choice of speciality motorcycles and good economics. People have ridden all over the world on far less capable machines than the CB1100.

So what ever makes your boat float.

The best touring bike is the one you have. Beats walking.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
Depends on your definition of touring. Super slabbing on huge motorcycles is touring to most USA citizens, but it is so far from what I consider touring it is not even funny. Modern riders are spoiled by a wide choice of speciality motorcycles and good economics. People have ridden all over the world on far less capable machines than the CB1100.

So what ever makes your boat float.

The best touring bike is the one you have. Beats walking.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're right!

Mostly I travelled first with the W650 and afterwards with W800.
They did and do everything I expect from a touring motorcycle.
Making long trips enjoyable. Despite the fact, that they don't offer the comfort of e.g.
a Goldwing. But I don't need it. They are relaxed and comfortable in their
own sweet way.

This year I plan to take the CB out on a tour for some weeks and kilometer
and I suppose, the bike will fit nicely.

It's always you, who arranges with the bike you ride and
of course make some adjustments, 'cause the adjustments have to be made.
With every bike.

Wisedrum
 
KLR650. Bergman. DR400. SV650. CB250. R1. GSXR750. Buell Blast. Sportster. CB1100. Seen them all loaded down on the road. And don't forget Joe Gresh with his cross country RT360 :)
 
RD 350, TX650, CB 750, Triumph 790, GS850, KZ1000 .... I've toured on bikes far less capable than the CB1100
 
My first real road trip was about 1500 miles on a KZ400. Since it was mostly back roads I was perfectly comfortable. If you can throw some bags on it and strap some gear to the back seat, you've got a touring bike :D
 
I can tour across the country on a bicycle as well but that doesn't mean I have to. Just saying as some tell me this isn't a sport bike well I'm saying its not a Tourer. Sure you can but its not optimal. Funny how people automatically think every touring bike hits the super slab and just rides down a boring road in a straight line. I've been to most of my destinations without ever getting on an interstate. And yes I do own a touring bike in addition to my CB. I commend you guys for touring on this bike which is capable. I'm just not a fan of the luggage situatuin for this bike nor do I like big windscreens on it.
 
Well in the strictest sense of the word you are correct. It is not a drag bike, but it can be drag raced, it is not a sport bike but can be ridden in a sporting manner, it is not an adv but several of our members have ridden them off road, and technically it is not a tourer but it can be toured
The whole purpose of this style bike is it can be made into whatever you want to make of it. You may not like a fairing on one but others do, you may think the luggage situation is not ideal, but others have no issue with it

Sebastian and Kim of Belgium chose CB 1100s for their around the world tour.. Is there a larger tour than that?

Home - Kim and Seb




.
 
I apologize to most who will tour on this bike. That is correct, this bike is whatever the owner wants it to be. I too will do an overnighter with maybe a roll bag or something draped over it. I was just trying to be subjective when the OP asked for thoughts. I forget that some people will only own one bike therefore make it an all in one bike. Its a tough decision when picking out a bike for multiple functionality. This bike will serve most well in that aspect. I guess it would be interesting and challenging at the same time to do cross country on this bike. It is an all around great bike. The ferret once again knocking some sense into me, lol.
 
Back
Top