almost got a trophy on today's ride

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
8a5bfba9347b47e511bd788b175911d0.jpg


he had crossed in front of me left to right and stopped, so I grabbed my camera to take a pic. Just then he turned and ran along the weed line parallel to the road same direction I was going... then all of a sudden he swung left to come back across the road. We were nearly level when he turned and I snapped the pic and gassed it lol. 12:45 in the afternoon.

dang forest rats
 
Gotta watch for them “forest rats” ferret! (I believe that is what you called them in prior posts.)
Got that problem here too. I hit two deer within one year with my CR-V! That is why I never ride my motorcycles between dusk and dawn.
 
Glad that wasn't "a close one" per se.
I've had 3-4 similar experiences when the deer didn't seem to know where it was going or wanting to go.
One was so close I knew I was a gonner - but it missed me by a hair. I still don't know how I escaped that one!

I also had two similar incidents with moose that were too close for comfort.
When you have an arms length encounter with a moose on a motorcycle you suddenly realize how big they really are.
Sure gets your heart pumping :D :D :D
 
Rocky_imp said:
Glad that wasn't "a close one" per se.
I've had 3-4 similar experiences when the deer didn't seem to know where it was going or wanting to go.
One was so close I knew I was a gonner - but it missed me by a hair. I still don't know how I escaped that one!

I also had two similar incidents with moose that were too close for comfort.
When you have an arms length encounter with a moose on a motorcycle you suddenly realize how big they really are.
Sure gets your heart pumping :D :D :D
Lots of deers and moose in NB and NS
:)
 
If you were on the CB, it was the RLETs that saved you. If you were riding that other bike, I don’t know how you escaped. :D
 
Thread starter
suhawk305_imp said:
Gotta watch for them “forest rats” ferret! (I believe that is what you called them in prior posts.)
Got that problem here too. I hit two deer within one year with my CR-V! That is why I never ride my motorcycles between dusk and dawn.
It was middle of the day at 12:45 in the afternoon :dodgy:

Cormanus_imp said:
If you were on the CB, it was the RLETs that saved you. If you were riding that other bike, I don’t know how you escaped. :D
:rofl: it was the other bike Cormanus. 145 hp saved me this time lol. I sure didn't expect him to turn around and head back across the road (although this is not the first time that has happened but it's rare.)

Do Roos exhibit such non sense?
 
Doesn’t matter Ferret. Cormanus has RLETS!!!
 
The answer is that roos are totally unpredictable. You think you’re safe and they double back on you. Nasty critters near roads.
 
Thread starter
redbirds, Ohio needs more hunters and more places for hunters to hunt. The bag limit is generous but this is gun season and I haven't heard a shot all week. Rut here too, probably why that big boy was out during daylight hours.
 
I see the awful beasts all times of the day, any time of the year. Please don't make the mistake of thinking they are only out at night or during the rut. 24/7 risk. Ride safe out there yall
 
The ferret_imp said:
redbirds, Ohio needs more hunters and more places for hunters to hunt. The bag limit is generous but this is gun season and I haven't heard a shot all week. Rut here too, probably why that big boy was out during daylight hours.
Ditto here.
BTW, I did realize you took the picture of the buck during daylight hours. I could have been clearer in my previous post..
 
I saw a couple of horses along the road on my ride yesterday (a little north of Mesa). I don't know if they'll dart out in front of you like deer or not. I slowed down and enjoyed the sight.
 
The ferret_imp said:
8a5bfba9347b47e511bd788b175911d0.jpg


he had crossed in front of me left to right and stopped, so I grabbed my camera to take a pic. Just then he turned and ran along the weed line parallel to the road same direction I was going... then all of a sudden he swung left to come back across the road. We were nearly level when he turned and I snapped the pic and gassed it lol. 12:45 in the afternoon.

dang forest rats
Hey Ferret: When I first saw this I thought it was a crisp lookin' video frame. But you said you grabbed your camera - while riding it appears. I am trying to envision this. Where or how did you grab your camera? Was it mounted and ready to go? Or, in a velcro camera bag on the passenger seat? I am just trying to visualize the rider's intense skill level here.

Great snap in quick time.
 
Ahh. One so new that he has not learned the mysteries of the lanyard cam. :D :D

I'll let The Ferret clue you in.
 
Thread starter
GO ..I wear a point and shoot camera on a lanyard around my neck, every time I go for a ride, and have for maybe 20 years? I use it to record trips, scenery, riding partners, anything I would want to remember later

in this pic you can see it hanging around my neck. This was back in 2006 I believe.

1df9d4d65a29186854c787672994ec13.jpg


In order to use it I just grab it by my stomach with my left hand, lift, press one button to turn it on, point it in the direction I want to shoot, and press another button to take the pic. If at anytime I feel I need both hands on the bars I can just drop it, and it will be caught by the lanyard and turn itself off.

You can shoot in front of you

77494381e1456c5c4cf66b7c57ff700e.jpg


behind you over the shoulder

3cb6e8f377c6fca617195fd47999edc9.jpg


behind you using the mirrors ..left (notice camera in mirror)

fd102a735e6a9e7853e95e59013ac1eb.jpg


right

35c7db6cac02a0625d2d2675cd7837c7.jpg


scenery or atmospheric conditions

71900d03d0242c4c960fa954067877ed.jpg


2fa93d8a7689ba0f3835a4c1d1dc346e.jpg


057f92ad31b43aa920f42c7546f4f9da.jpg


Candid moments that convey a part of a trip

6b6a242c770193fb8018cdabe11829ec.jpg


a9587f07cecc1646a8cbdcb70d060f08.jpg


I love my lanyard cam and the memories of the rides/trips I take that I get to see again and share with others. It would be a rare day that you would find me riding without the camera. it's a part of my gear like my helmet and gloves.
 
Back
Top