Almost crashed today

Tortuga_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So I was out with Mrs. T a week or so ago when at a particular roundabout I smell diesel. Cautiously I enter the roundabout and see the patch of freshly spilt diesel which I gingerly mince around and avoid.

On the way back I give the same slick a wide berth and we get home safe and sound.

Today, I rode out and ended up at the same place, this time approaching from a different angle. My eyes were originally on the car to my left waiting to join the roundabout, which stayed put. Then I focused on the exit of the roundabout and looked for my line of drive.

I was using my limited peripheral vision to scan for spills on the road, but saw none, until it was too late.

My front tyre washed out like I'd hit ice. In a split second I goosed it, sat her up a bit, cleared the patch of diesel, smelled it , and made eye contact with the driver to my left who was all "wtf just happened?". I carried on, arse twitching for a few seconds, and then thought how lucky I'd been.

If I'd have throttled off, I'd have gone down. The bike felt Fur King heavy when it slipped. I'd never have caught it on my own, the bikes torque and the fact I had the revs in the mid range (4500 rpm ish) it picked up and got through the oil.

Scary stuff. I got home as quickly as I could and warmed up with a nice ale and some comfy clothing.

Good to be home! :beerchug:

Have any of you guys had a scare?
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
Nice Save!
Thanks. More muscle memory and 27 years riding (and working for a while instructing) instilling some good basics than any ninja riding skillz.

Always a nice reality check when it happens.
 
Glad you saved her Tortuga...hey don't take kindly to being laid on their sides. I'm thinking you wouldn't have liked it much either.
 
Roundabouts suck. They are stupid. Unfortunately they are catching on in some areas of the USA where the residents appear to feel they are "gentrified" because Europeans use them.

They are off camber. All fuel, coolant, and oil sloshes out of any vehicle with a leak and creates the kind of hazard that almost got you.

What's more, a good percentage of the drivers seem to want to show off their exceptional cornering skills and turn the whole thing into a race. So if you try to ride slowly to be cautious, some a**hole behind you is trying to crawl up your exhaust pipe.

I heard about these issues from other British riders decades ago and now, having a couple of these abominations in my neighborhood, I see what they were harping about.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Glad you saved her Tortuga...hey don't take kindly to being laid on their sides. I'm thinking you wouldn't have liked it much either.
Oh Mr Ferret, you have no idea how dreadful it felt when Dixie slipped. It was like my moped turned into an oil tanker. It all happened so fast it was hard to monitor, looking back I think the right lean and dropping momentum may have caused my wrist to open the throttle and this right the bike. I probably have Keith Code, Andy Ibbot and a few others to thank.

Top tip for all: sit back in the seat. Grip the tank with your knees. Keep a loose grip on the bars. Accelerate OUT of danger, don't brake!
 
Thread starter
Red Mist_imp said:
Roundabouts suck. They are stupid. Unfortunately they are catching on in some areas of the USA where the residents appear to feel they are "gentrified" because Europeans use them.

They are off camber. All fuel, coolant, and oil sloshes out of any vehicle with a leak and creates the kind of hazard that almost got you.

What's more, a good percentage of the drivers seem to want to show off their exceptional cornering skills and turn the whole thing into a race. So if you try to ride slowly to be cautious, some a**hole behind you is trying to crawl up your exhaust pipe.

I heard about these issues from other British riders decades ago and now, having a couple of these abominations in my neighborhood, I see what they were harping about.
Red, you are on the money with most of those observations. Roundabouts are normally (as 'mine' was) next to a truck stop, fuel station and other stupid places to conjoined the two.

As a result, fat greasy truck drivers overfill their trucks, and fat lazy car drivers do the same. Most cars in Britain are now running on diesel, so we have all manner of potential spills.

Roundabouts near filling stations can be a frickin death trap.

HOWEVER, in the right places, away from the trucks and knobbers, roundabouts provide a superb place to hone your cornering skills, as many 'roundabout surfers' will profess.

Go to any decently smooth one in the UK on a summer evening and watch scores of bikers dragging knees in endless loops or err, loopiness?
DAC_imp said:
Wow. Heavy pucker factor with that one. Glad to see you came through cleanly.
Ha, yes thanks!

I'm not sure Mrs. T will be congratulating me so heartily when it comes to laundry day! ;)
 
Glad you didn't go down Tortuga. Sounds like a close one. I hate roundabouts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Pauley_imp said:
Glad you didn't go down Tortuga. Sounds like a close one. I hate roundabouts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, :beerchug:

I have a few local ones that are 'bike Mecca' in the summer. I went round a particular one nearby 'accidentally' a few times the other night since it was so relaxing. Fuel stations should not be anywhere near them, and more to the point;

TRUCKERS, STOP OVER FILLING YOU NUT SACKS! :(
 
Geez, Mr T. I'm pleased to hear you got through that OK too. These stories always make me wonder how I'd go in similar circumstances, Lacking your experience, not as well, I expect.

Traffic engineers like roundabouts in this country. They use small ones in all sorts of odd places, like residential areas, as what they delightfully call "traffic calming devices". Not sure they always work to achieve that.

I live not far from one of Australia's premier tourist beaches, Noosa. The local government there believes traffic lights should be spurned and instead have gone enthusiastically for roundabouts to the extent that the local joke is that "Noosa is aboriginal for roundabout."

I get lots of practice!

Anyway, glad you're OK.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Geez, Mr T. I'm pleased to hear you got through that OK too. These stories always make me wonder how I'd go in similar circumstances, Lacking your experience, not as well, I expect.

Traffic engineers like roundabouts in this country. They use small ones in all sorts of odd places, like residential areas, as what they delightfully call "traffic calming devices". Not sure they always work to achieve that.

I live not far from one of Australia's premier tourist beaches, Noosa. The local government there believes traffic lights should be spurned and instead have gone enthusiastically for roundabouts to the extent that the local joke is that "Noosa is aboriginal for roundabout."

I get lots of practice!

Anyway, glad you're OK.
Thanks, I live in an area similarly peppered with the things. They're actually seen over here as a bit of a bonus for bikers due to the fact they're an endless corner, in effect.

I also have a slip road system near me which allows riders to perpetually loop 'left'.
Each summer we normally lose one or two bikers on this small intersection as it becomes 'knee down heaven' for all the wannabe heroes from May to September.

As to how you'd cope in a near off; I think if you just repeat in your head when in a corner the Keith Code mantra:

"Once the throttle is cracked open, it is rolled on evenly, smoothly, and constantly throughout the remainder of the turn".

Also, it's worth learning how to overcome your body's 'survival reactions' which scream at you to brake, sit the bike up mid turn and generally bail out of the corner.

This is what causes so many fatalities as riders panic, yank the bike upright and either run off the road into something hard and concrete-flavoured, or hit oncoming traffic head on.

I watched a video on a youtube where a motorcyclist was hot by another bikes who over ran the corner in just this manner.

In slow, out fast was what I was always taught.

Maybe we should have a 'riding techniques' section on the forum where old lags can share their experience with the newer riders.
 
I hit diesel once in the toll booth lane. It was slick as snot. But not as slick as the antifreeze my Concours 1000 dumped on the rear tire when a radiator hose broke. I was in an Interstate exit ramp and the bike slid and slipped like it was on ice. That'll never happen with the CB!
 
Nice save indeed Tortuga. Diesel is nasty stuff.

A diesel spill can be bad no matter what you're driving. I hit a spill whilst turning into a car park in my pickup. Went completely sideways even at that slow speed.

I like roundabouts and the few in my area have greatly relieved traffic congestion. Main problem around here is the way some folks panic when they enter one.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Nice save indeed Tortuga. Diesel is nasty stuff.

A diesel spill can be bad no matter what you're driving. I hit a spill whilst turning into a car park in my pickup. Went completely sideways even at that slow speed.

I like roundabouts and the few in my area have greatly relieved traffic congestion. Main problem around here is the way some folks panic when they enter one.
They're becoming more popular here too, but as you said, a lot of drivers have no idea how to use them. They stop like they're at a 4-way, or they blow thru without regard to right of way. Just once I just want to see the Griswold's go by in the Family Truckster.
 
We first encountered roundabouts on our mc tour in Europe. We quickly became accustomed to them and they seemed to work out well with one exception...the Aussies in the group kept wanting to turn left into the roundabout instead of right lol.

Much better than a group coming to a complete stop at every intersection.
 
New Jersey is the circle Capitol of the US, and I grew up navigating them. Many have been around for 70 years, and in many instances, still provide benefits to traffic flow. Some, however, have long outlived their utility. Some drivers are clueless as to the rules, but all in all, I like them.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
Nice save indeed Tortuga. Diesel is nasty stuff.

A diesel spill can be bad no matter what you're driving. I hit a spill whilst turning into a car park in my pickup. Went completely sideways even at that slow speed.

I like roundabouts and the few in my area have greatly relieved traffic congestion. Main problem around here is the way some folks panic when they enter one.
You're not wrong there buddy! For the uninitiated, I've seen people slip over on their arses on diesel at the fuel pumps. It doesn't dry like petrol (gas) it just sits there like a slippery nipple until it's washed away by rain.

Worst of all is when it rains after a long dry spell, all the oil, rubber and other crap is lifted off the road surface and forms a skin of lubricant!
The ferret_imp said:
We first encountered roundabouts on our mc tour in Europe. We quickly became accustomed to them and they seemed to work out well with one exception...the Aussies in the group kept wanting to turn left into the roundabout instead of right lol.

Much better than a group coming to a complete stop at every intersection.
I have the same problem when driving in Europe. I was I Germany earlier this year and had to concentrate like crazy to stop 'reverting to type'.
Capo_imp said:
New Jersey is the circle Capitol of the US, and I grew up navigating them. Many have been around for 70 years, and in many instances, still provide benefits to traffic flow. Some, however, have long outlived their utility. Some drivers are clueless as to the rules, but all in all, I like them.
Me too, I just don't like the crap they're sloshed in! :D
 
Back
Top