Aha moment

Southwend

Running like a top
Thread starter
So I was finishing a nice ride this afternoon. But wait, first you need to know that every bike I have owned or ridden before the CB was a dirt bike or a Bonnieville,Thruxton, Sportster. Mr. two jug, that's me. So this is my first anything of its kind, the CB. So I have been thinking that nice as it is it is a bit well anemic in the go department.
Back to the story, I am exiting a big curving ramp with no acceleration lane to speak of, way down in second up in the RPM a bit, a car is squeezing me so as at the top of the exit I twist the throttle....hard......in second gear.......I immediately said the name of my favorite Chinese food place Ho Lee Chit!!!!!! Soooo this is where the power hides in big four cylinders engines! Oh yeah this puts a whole new light on the thing doesn't it.
525 mile, 17 days in and easily the nicest thing I have ever ridden.
 
Ya got it. "HO, you can go to the top of the class". There is a good squeeze of torque available even with the modest top end HP.

Cheers
 
The Chinese thing was funny. The awesome thing about a liter inline 4 is there is usable power EVERYWHERE! You can ride around all day under 4000 rpms and lug it down in top gear to 30 mph and just twist the throttle and pull smoothly out of it, or you can rev it over 4500 rpms and stretch your arms a bit and make the scenery blur past in a hurry. All depends on your right wrist.
 
Thread starter
It is all new to me. It was definitely a motor roaring arm stretching sphincter tightening moment. I was beginning to think that she didn't have it in her. The restaurant thing is a direct quote BTW from inside the full face.
 
South,

Consider this, the Porsche 911 Turbo is one of the hardest accelerating cars that can be purchased today. It is considered a ferociously fast car and it blows passengers away when they experience it's maximum acceleration. The 0-60 and quarter mile times for that $185,000 Porsche are almost identical to the times for the CB1100. Both go 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and run the quarter in about 11.5 seconds.

The CB1100 is Supercar fast, but it's not Superbike fast. Cheers.

Chip
 
Ya, in the higher rpm range there is some serious go juice. Not like a sport bike, but enough to let you know she has a dark side to explore if you are so inclined.
 
Just to put things in perspective, here is a quote from Cheatsheet.com about the CBR S 1000 RR:

"Honda CBR S 1000 RR ($13,999)
This superbike packs a 999cc liquid-cooled, four-cylinder engine that provides a maximum 170 hp for blasting out of stoplights. Capable of going 0-60 in 3 seconds, the CBR S 1000 RR is indeed a lethal weapon on the streets of any city or town."

Now, that bike, which IS considered a superbike, does the 0-60 in 3 seconds flat. That's only three tenths of a second faster than the CB1100. Can anyone really call the CB1100 a slouch?

Granted, that bike has a crazy top end of like 180mph+, but in the real world, or even on a track for that matter, who would ever touch that? Unless you plan on taking your bike to the Salt Flats on a regular basis, I don't see it happening.

So in practical reality, the CB1100 is really a fantastic motorcycle.
 
No disagreement here, just for the sake of discussion, do you realize that the the theoretical difference by the numbers between a bike accelerating to 60 mph in 3 seconds vs. 3.3 seconds is about 5 or 6 bike lengths?
 
KennyB_imp said:
No disagreement here, just for the sake of discussion, do you realize that the the theoretical difference by the numbers between a bike accelerating to 60 mph in 3 seconds vs. 3.3 seconds is about 5 or 6 bike lengths?
Yes, I am aware that, but by the same argument, the Hayabusa does 0-60 in 2.5s.

Does that make the CBR slow? It's all relative.
 
Thread starter
So once again as a veteran of the two big piston bikes I am curious. Even though the big four makes happy torque up and down the tach, Is there a power sweet spot in the RPM range. My first adventure was running through the gears shifting at about 5K which was getting well north of the 65 mph speed limit by the time 6th came around. I think the other day I was in second probably in the 4-5k range when I flogged it and had my little moment. It seems my Thruxton and I ran into the redline limiter often. The four feels a bit slower to spin up but I imagine thats why God made second and then third. Redline is what 8.5? What is that, warp factor three?
 
For me anything between 3500 and 4500 is a happy sweet spot, but I have a feeling you want to hear from somebody a bit more rambunctious

actually if you look at the dyno charts for one of these, they are pretty much a flat line build up of torque and horsepower from 0 on with max torque at 5800 and max horsepower at 7300 rppms

 
ChipBeck_imp said:
South,

Consider this, the Porsche 911 Turbo is one of the hardest accelerating cars that can be purchased today. It is considered a ferociously fast car and it blows passengers away when they experience it's maximum acceleration. The 0-60 and quarter mile times for that $185,000 Porsche are almost identical to the times for the CB1100. Both go 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and run the quarter in about 11.5 seconds.

The CB1100 is Supercar fast, but it's not Superbike fast. Cheers.

Chip
Apologies if this is a repost.

An interesting drag race, on an airstrip between a Porsche 918, a McLaren P1 and a Ducati 1199 Superleggera.

Amazingly, off the line, it is the Porsche and NOT the bike that leads !
at 110 mph the bike pulls away to the lead..
at 192 mph the Ducati hits its rev limiter and falls behind as a result
above that the McLaren pushes past the Porsche.

fascinating !


anyway.. the low-end grunt of a proper big inch four is one of the greatest things about the CB1100.. add to that the killer styling, I love it.
 
Thanks Ferret for the chart....I saved it for future reference!

But it does confirm what I feel....more the most part anything past 7000 RPM seems to be a waste and unnecessary for me.

When that torque start to fall off after 6, "when" I'm "hot-rodding" it, I find myself shifting at 7.
 
Having just come off a Bonneville (but also having owned 650/750cc 4s way back when), I can empathize with Southwend's recent experience. After a few days of puttering around paranoid about break-in miles, I opened the CB up a bit this week (nothing crazy, I'm still aware it's break in time). On the Bonnie, power was mostly in the 3-5k range. The CB seems to love the 4-7+k range. So, I'm relearning old shift points (pulling data outta the ol' biological hard drive from about 1986 or so). And, like Southwend, I had the moment where, when I let the bike wind out, I thought to myself, "oooooh, this is much quicker than the twin."
 
As stated in Honda Worldwide:

"Importantly, however outright horsepower figures on Dynograph paper was not the goal – if the engine proved fun to use, then it would be deemed a success. Smooth, instantly accessible power and torque is what the CB1100's motor's all about, and plenty of it, anywhere in the rev range. No frantic thrashing to the redline; just dial in the throttle, and go. Four-stroke, four-cylinder motive thrust at its creamy, effortless best."

I think most of us agree that they nailed their engine performance goals!!
 
Back
Top