Aggghhh, I can't See!

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've always had an eye condition that can only allow some semblance of regular vision with the use of hard contact lenses. Glasses are useless. However, after a career of things that are hot, sharp, and usually spinning, I'm finally getting around to treating the damage that this has caused. That requires temporary lenses that don't correct as much as they should, so I have to compensate by wearing reading glasses as well to see and get around. I've avoided riding for a few days to let my brain compensate for what's going on, figuring that I'd rather hit something with a Ford around me.

So, this morning, for the first time, I put the glasses on after my helmet was installed (didn't work when I tried to put on the helmet over the glasses), and after I figured I could manage, I headed to work. However, as soon as I had to roll to a crawl, getting on the metered freeway onramp, the glasses fogged up so bad that I couldn't see anything. Being on a steeply banked freeway ramp, inching forward, I didn't have a free hand to pull my visor completely up.

So, for those of you who wear glasses under your helmets in cold weather, what the heck do you do to keep your glasses from fogging? I need to wear these bloody things for a few weeks before I can get lenses that actually correct my vision.
 
I don't "click" my visor all of the way down and sometimes leave it up a notch. When I find myself in a predicament similar to what you experienced I try to control my breathing but that requires a little pre-planning. If you can't raise your shield you need to recognize when it's likely to happen. Mainly when you're going slow or stopped.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
I don't "click" my visor all of the way down and sometimes leave it up a notch. When I find myself in a predicament similar to what you experienced I try to control my breathing but that requires a little pre-planning. If you can't raise your shield you need to recognize when it's likely to happen. Mainly when you're going slow or stopped.
+1, use the same method, but need no glasses for riding.
Ask your optician....or

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&e...A6tcrsQpEo

Also for car's windshield, we use this: hydrophobic spray:
[url=https://www.google.com/search?q=hydrophobic+glass+spray&oq=hydrofobic+glass&aqs=chrome.5.69i57j0l7.11746j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8]https://www.google.com/search?q=hydropho...e&ie=UTF-8
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
I don't "click" my visor all of the way down and sometimes leave it up a notch. When I find myself in a predicament similar to what you experienced I try to control my breathing but that requires a little pre-planning. If you can't raise your shield you need to recognize when it's likely to happen. Mainly when you're going slow or stopped.

same here
 
Thread starter
Hmm, I wonder if Rain-X would work on these - just dime store readers, nothing fancy, since I'll toss them once my "good" contacts are ready.
I'll anticipate this next time I commute, and will have my visor up till I get on the freeway. With the off-camber footing and traffic moving, I didn't want to stop and put a foot down to pull up the visor. I was trying to hold my breath, but started yelling "Oh crap" over and over again, which didn't help.

But, headed to Indy in the morning for a trade show, so no riding for a week anyway. :(

Thanks, guys.
 
Gin60, here are some home remedies:

1* apply hair shampoo on both glasses sides, and then gently clean it to dry by using microfiber cloth
2* apply soap bar and spread evenly on both sides by your fingers, clean it by microfiber cloth
3* 0.84 oz/25 mL of warm water + 1.7 oz/50 mL of alkohol + 3 squirts of liquid soap + good shake up...use a small spray bottle to apply on both sides, then clean it to dry by microfiber cloth.

You can test results before leaving home = place glasses in boiling water vapour
:)
 
Keep your visor slightly cracked. Sometimes even that doesn’t help.
 
Thread starter
Hmm. I'm going to try a few of those, Peterbaron. Thanks! I always keep my visor cracked until I hit freeway speed to quiet down a bit, but that wasn't helping me this morning. The visor wasn't fogged, but the blessed glasses sure were.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
I don't "click" my visor all of the way down and sometimes leave it up a notch. When I find myself in a predicament similar to what you experienced I try to control my breathing but that requires a little pre-planning. If you can't raise your shield you need to recognize when it's likely to happen. Mainly when you're going slow or stopped.
(+1) ... and well-worded KE.

- - -

I will add that if your lenses are plastic, consider an application of Plexus. Improved defogging beyond expectation and is very easy to apply. Consider using on the helmet visor too (interior/exterior of visor).
 
Someday, hopefully soon, we'll have prescription face shields. Until then, rubbing and then buffing out some soap on your glasses should do the trick. It also works on your bathroom mirror.
 
Thread starter
Heck, I’ll try some cat crap next time I scoop the box and save some money. After a few tries with some suggested remedies, I decided to leave the glasses off. The cars look a tad bit fuzzy, but my brain can’t seem to compensate for the distortion in my field of view with them. It’s like looking at the world on an IMAX screen.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Heck, I’ll try some cat crap next time I scoop the box and save some money. After a few tries with some suggested remedies, I decided to leave the glasses off. The cars look a tad bit fuzzy, but my brain can’t seem to compensate for the distortion in my field of view with them. It’s like looking at the world on an IMAX screen.
lol - ensure the litter stones are removed ... they are abrasive.

Gone in 60_imp said:
Heck, I’ll try some cat crap next time I scoop the box and save some money. After a few tries with some suggested remedies, I decided to leave the glasses off. The cars look a tad bit fuzzy, but my brain can’t seem to compensate for the distortion in my field of view with them. It’s like looking at the world on an IMAX screen.
For crazy, consider augmented reality via a pair of helmet cameras and a smartphone screen inside the helmet. :P
 
Seriously how bad can a foggy glasses problem be in So Cal.? I've been riding this week between 21 and 36 degrees without my glasses fogging up. My shield fogs right in front of my mouth for a second when I exhale then clears with my shield cracked 1/8 inch, but my glasses are crystal clear...no plexus, no soap, no cat crap, no nothing.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Seriously how bad can a foggy glasses problem be in So Cal.? I've been riding this week between 21 and 36 degrees without my glasses fogging up. My shield fogs right in front of my mouth for a second when I exhale then clears with my shield cracked 1/8 inch, but my glasses are crystal clear...no plexus, no soap, no cat crap, no nothing.
Some riders have more hot air than others ….
 
Houtman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Seriously how bad can a foggy glasses problem be in So Cal.? I've been riding this week between 21 and 36 degrees without my glasses fogging up. My shield fogs right in front of my mouth for a second when I exhale then clears with my shield cracked 1/8 inch, but my glasses are crystal clear...no plexus, no soap, no cat crap, no nothing.
Some riders have more hot air than others ….

:rofl:
 
Agreed Ferret - been riding my entire life with the crack open.

- - -

I have to admit though - once I got hooked on the Plexus, things clear up faster than fast. I thought I wouldn't care, but it is that much better.
 
Back
Top