Advice

josiah.hurt_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm waiting to get a rear tire put on but the weather is perfect and some friends want to go on a ride (nice roads). Could I get one more ride out of this tire or not safe? Sorry for my ignorance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Its pretty flatspotted but I don't see any belts showing. I'd go for one more ride. Maybe not for hundreds of miles in the rain...

I just went out and looked at mine. Its new last year and I'd say yours definitely needs replaced. Maybe you should use today to remove the wheel and have it ready for the new tire (which I hope is being replaced tomorrow, or next week sometime).
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Its pretty flatspotted but I don't see any belts showing. I'd go for one more ride. Maybe not for hundreds of miles in the rain...

I just went out and looked at mine. Its new last year and I'd say yours definitely needs replaced. Maybe you should use today to remove the wheel and have it ready for the new tire (which I hope is being replaced tomorrow, or next week sometime).
Good advice. Maybe one more ride (and praying for no rain), but replace it ASAP!
 
My father-in-law drives not only his car but yes his motorcycle as well all the way down until the belts are showing through practically the entire way around the tire. I can't believe he does it I have given him a hard time about it every time I see it – but he is in his 70s and just shrugs it off.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It falls into the category – will it roll? Yes. Is it safe? – Not as safe as it could be!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ha ha! Guess I am cheap. That's got quite a few rides in it. For me, when there is a noticeable change in the transition from upright to leaning into a corner, I replace it. But I am not much of a rain rider I will admit and I wouldn't do a big trip on it. 200-300 km on a sunny day - no worries. I am much more conscientious about the front.
 
Here's the problem with the wear: you're absolutely fine until you hit a patch of road that's a bit slicker than the rest. Maybe some water, old oil patch, or maybe some new paint on the lines of an intersection. Combined with the fact that your transitions from upright to leaning over must be difficult, I wouldn't ride that bike unless it was headed to the shop for a new rear.
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
One more ride on a dry day ... when you're two minutes from home light it up (burnout) and retire that hoop forever.

+1. Of course a video of the retirement is anticipated.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
If it were my bike, that tire would have been replaced 2000 miles ago. The profile is long gone. Ride safely!

I agree! Unfortunately teacher salary makes it difficult sometimes!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Nice Josiah!

What tire is it? I didn't see it mentioned in any thread posts.
 
I run BT45s on my CB750. With the demise of the Michelin PR3s, I'm considering going that route with the CB11 as well. I'm on my 3rd set of BT45s on the CB750 and they're a great blend of stickiness and longevity. I typically get over 10K miles from a set.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
I run BT45s on my CB750. With the demise of the Michelin PR3s, I'm considering going that route with the CB11 as well. I'm on my 3rd set of BT45s on the CB750 and they're a great blend of stickiness and longevity. I typically get over 10K miles from a set.

I guess I'm out of the loop but what happened to the PR3's? Thought they were all the rave and was thinking about getting them when I got the tires done.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I've run a couple of sets of BT45s—the second came to an untimely end when the rear developed a nasty gash. I may well revert to them if I can't get PR3s in the future. They were fine.
 
Back
Top