Advice on buying

Beerman_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm new to this forum - but would be very grateful for some advice.

I'm looking at a 2013 CB1100 (but new: genuine 20 miles on the clock). I love the look of the bike - I've been looking at the Triumph range, and to me this looks better, the build looks fantastic, and it researches really well.

I am somewhat concerned that it is my first 'big bike' (even though I'm an old bloke) and it will be too much - but I'm not buying for speed. I ride every day, but a much smaller bike, and got my license recently on a Suzuki Bandit 600 (which was absolutely fine).

Should I be concerned? As I say, all advice appreciated!

Beerman
 
The cb was my 1st bike after I took th motorcycle training course and got my license.
After 1500 miles it has been a real great ride.
 
Welcome Beerman.

I understand your concerns but I think you would be fine on the CB. If you are comfortable on the Suzuki you should quickly adjust to the Honda. It is a bit heavier but the weight is carried low and gives the feeling of a much lighter bike when underway.
 
Welcome Beerman!

+1 on what Redbirds says.

I see you are in the UK. You can ride this bike like a fine English gentleman or even a hooligan in the upper rev range (so we are told by members here). I have average skills and have no problem with this bike (sorry I have no hooligan skills). Fueling is great on the bike and the torque and HP curves are nice and flat. Easy to ride, pretty easy to work on if you like and lots of farkles to make it yours. Disclaimer: I am biased. :)
 
Redbirds has got it right. But I have to add, before you go too far work on your low speed manoeuvring skills. After the Bandit, it will be different; nice while you have it under control, but if it starts to lean over it is not easy to stop the drop. Teaching you to suck eggs I'm sure but at slow speed, in driveways and tight spots, learn to use your body on the outside of the turn and the rear brake, the front brake is a "biter" and can cause you to lose it.

Don't be put off by that, once again, 'Birds is right, this bike is easy and feels light on the go.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Redbirds has got it right. But I have to add, before you go too far work on your low speed manoeuvring skills. After the Bandit, it will be different; nice while you have it under control, but if it starts to lean over it is not easy to stop the drop. Teaching you to suck eggs I'm sure but at slow speed, in driveways and tight spots, learn to use your body on the outside of the turn and the rear brake, the front brake is a "biter" and can cause you to lose it.

Don't be put off by that, once again, 'Birds is right, this bike is easy and feels light on the go.

Cheers
Excellent advice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Although I've been riding for over 20 years the CB is the heaviest bike I have owned and it took me a bit of time to get used to the weight in slow manoeuvers.
Proceed at your own pace and you should be fine.
The CB is a great bike!!
 
I'm also an old bloke. I turned 50 last year and decided that after 25 years of marriage it was time for that beautiful petite Puerto Rican woman I'm married to stop telling me what I can or cannot do, so I bought my first motorbike: a Honda NC700.

I was so happy that day BUT, as I was closing the deal at the Honda place, I saw a brand new CB1100 Deluxe on the dealer floor and it called to me. I thought that was the bike I was supposed to be buying BUT, although I knew nothing about the CB, I immediately justified finishing the NC purchase because the CB was probably too big, too heavy, too fast and too much bike for me. After all, the NC700 reviews were great in saying that it's not too fast, it's not too heavy, it's easy to ride, etc. and it's all true, it is a really good bike. However, after about 6 months of owning it, I wanted more.

So again, being the rebel that I am, without asking the wife I traded my NC for my 2014 CB standard. With the CB deal done when I got on the road I was a little intimidated by that big motor and all those exhaust pipes and all that chrome and the 66 pounds heavier, for about 30 seconds. The CB immediately turned into a lot of fun to ride as it is a refined machine that rides like a motorcycle should and if you are an able-bodied person you will have no problem in handling and riding this engineering and design wonder.

Enjoy your CB! :biker:

P.S. The wife still tells me what to do :cool:
 
Hi Beerman.
I am new to this forum also, having recently traded my Bonnie for a CB1100EX.
Great advice above. I have been riding for over 30 years and learned that with any new bike there is always a learning curve of some sort. The CB's are a classic style and have great handling characteristics. As said above, don't use the front brake at slow speed when manoeuvring. They balance well because although quite heavy the centre of gravity is low.
Ultimately you will get on fine, just take your time initially. You'll soon forget your apprehensions.

Where in the UK are you ?
 
Thread starter
Thank's all for this very helpful advice.

You have reassured me on the 'rideability' of this great looking bike. This may sound an odd question - but how do you find handling the bike out of the garage, on the drive etc - am I making more of this bike's weight than I need to? I might be an old bloke, but I'm pretty fit!

JustCruising - I'm in Wolverhampton. You?

Thanks again,

Beerman
Memo - my wife also tells me what to do. She says it won't fit in the garage next to my various road bikes, scooter, car stuff and everything else...she clearly has a blind spot; I can see where it would go just fine!

Beerman
Sorry Nemo (not Memo): a couple of beers have affected my typing finger...
 
Beerman_imp said:
Thank's all for this very helpful advice.

You have reassured me on the 'rideability' of this great looking bike. This may sound an odd question - but how do you find handling the bike out of the garage, on the drive etc - am I making more of this bike's weight than I need to? I might be an old bloke, but I'm pretty fit!

JustCruising - I'm in Wolverhampton. You?

Thanks again,

Beerman
Memo - my wife also tells me what to do. She says it won't fit in the garage next to my various road bikes, scooter, car stuff and everything else...she clearly has a blind spot; I can see where it would go just fine!

Beerman
Sorry Nemo (not Memo): a couple of beers have affected my typing finger...
No worries... Just don't call me late for dinner. :)

I wish I was pretty and fit, like you. :D
 
All this talk of weight and we don't know how big you are. I'm 5'7" and about 140 lbs. I'll be 60 shortly.
The bike is hard for me to push around (astride or otherwise) unless the spot is flat and smooth. So, I just try hard to plan ahead and if I get into a parking spot I can't get out of, I just ask for help. No pride here :-) I cannot push this thing up any slope at all, so to push it up a little slope to park it in a garage or some such would be out of the question for me.
As to handling it in motion, it is lovely. As others have said, it is nimble for a heavier bike and the weight is low. I have come close to tipping a couple of times (yes, watch that front break at slow speed) but have been able to right it without too much trouble. The seat height is low enough so that I can get both feet on the ground, though not flat by any means.
I think you will find all these things apply to the Triumphs as well. A few pounds either way isn't going to make a big difference.
 
JustCruising_imp said:
Dorset. Southern softy !!:rolleyes:
Mmmmmm.

"Dorset born and Dorset bred,
......................................."

Nice bit of country down there, and one of the most beautiful bits of coastline I've ever seen. Looking forward to your ride photos.

Cheers
 
Beerman. I just went through this. I ended up with the cb1100 because it wasn't too big but just right. The balance felt right to me and at first pushing it around in the garage was a little tough but I got the hang of it.
If you guys are call yourself old at 50 at 63 I must be really old.... Not!

The big thing with this bike is just spend time in a parking lot moving around slowly and just get used to how it feels ... It's sweet..
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
JustCruising_imp said:
Dorset. Southern softy !!:rolleyes:
Mmmmmm.

"Dorset born and Dorset bred,
......................................."

Nice bit of country down there, and one of the most beautiful bits of coastline I've ever seen. Looking forward to your ride photos.

Cheers
Mmmmmm.

"Dorset born and Dorset bred,
......................................."

Nice bit of country down there, and one of the most beautiful bits of coastline I've ever seen. Looking forward to your ride photos.

Cheers
Roll on the summer !!
 
In my area the CB1100 has the nickname of "Geezer Glide" because so many of us seasoned riders have adopted it as our motorcycle of first choice.

In my experience pushing the bike around the driveway or garage is made simpler if you are wearing shoes/boots with a decent sole - a little bit of "bite" or traction is a big help. I generally support some weight with my hips and legs and have no difficulty, much easier than my former and much taller bike.

Triumph also makes a good bike, after owning previously I finally decided on the CB and do not regret it.
 
Thread starter
Thanks again for your advice - it is helpful. I know people like to know what happens after they have posted their pearls of wisdom; I now have a test ride of the bike on Monday - I will keep you posted!

You will see from the above that I have base concerned with weight - that has two main elements:

1. Manoeuvrability in the garage: I have seen bike 'dollies' that make this much easier on the net - does anyone use them?

2. I have a gravel drive...think I'm just going to have to suck that one and see, but does anyone else have the same challenge?

Thanks

Beerman
 
I ride on a friends gravel driveway. It is about 100 yards long. At first I didn't like it, but really it is no big deal.

There are members with dollies. We had some threads on them a couple years ago.
 
Back
Top