accessory power lead

tinboatcapt_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Is there a switched power lead on the CB11? The 'Owners Manual' isn't forthcoming with an answer, and I couldn't find one under the side cover. I haven't bought the shop manual yet.

Perhaps Honda thought the naked bike didn't need one. The sport touring bikes (ST11, K100's) allow power to be relayed from the battery using the accessory lead as a signal for the relay. It is usually off the fuse block. The CB11 Fuse block is disappointingly empty.

I would like to power a GPS. Not much draw. I may just pull the power from the headlight or some other hot lead in the headlight bucket.
Thanks
Jim
 
There is a red switched power connector either in the headlight bucket or under the seat. I'll see if I can find he link.

Edit: Here we go: Link
 
I hard-wired my Tom Tom Rider 400 mount into the red connector under the seat, which allows it to remain accessible. Snipped off the connector and crimped the wires together. Works like a charm with the ignition on/off.
 
As DAC said there are 2 accessory connectors. One in the headlight shell and one back under the seat on the left side in the boot shown in pics in DAC's link. Its easier to get to that boot if you remove the left side cover, and maybe the tool box.

Most do like Baxtercat and snip the plug and and crimp. Me, noooo, I do it the hard way and bought the connectors, pins, and a crimper. Sometimes being an electronics tech is a curse.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
As DAC said there are 2 accessory connectors. One in the headlight shell and one back under the seat on the left side in the boot shown in pics in DAC's link. Its easier to get to that boot if you remove the left side cover, and maybe the tool box.

Most do like Baxtercat and snip the plug and and crimp. Me, noooo, I do it the hard way and bought the connectors, pins, and a crimper. Sometimes being an electronics tech is a curse.

Do you have the part number for the connector you used? I am really resisting making any cuts or splices to any wire on my bike so this would be a godsend to be able to pick up a switched lead.
 
Sure I can. Maybe not the part number, but a link to the connector you need and pins for it. They sell the crimp tool too, but, the pins use a double crimp and the tool has no instructions on its use (which crimp slots to use.

I found a site in the UK that had instructions. If you get the crimper, let me know and I will get them to use.

I'll post up the link later.
 
Here is where I ordered mine. Motorcycle HM .090 Sealed - Connector and Terminals

Scroll down to the 2 pin HM-090-2. You need the female one. WAIT, I may be wrong here. Sorry, its been a while. You should check as according to what I see on the Link DAC posted, you need the male. Well, trust, but verify. I'm not taking mine back apart to verify :) Be aware that the accessory plugs are capped, so remove the cap and then see what you need.

Scroll down more and there is a kit. That is what I got.

At the bottom is the crimp tool. Notice the picture on the left of the pin. Notice there are 2 crimps. One crimps the wire, one crimps the seal to the pin/wire. Notice the crimp tool has 6 places to crimp with. Some on the wire, some for the seal. There ain't no instructions. :)

I guess you could call him, or I'll send you the sheet I found. Done correctely, that tool makes a nice crimp. I would suggest buying extra pins to practice on...
 
So a quick question for confirmation: When you strip down the cigarette lighter, is the center terminal the positive and the side terminals the negative?
 
Dac, Yes. Powerlet plugs too. Pretty much everything like that type connector.
 
Thanks popgun! I've got the terminals on order - ought to be an interesting little side project.
 
Thread starter
FYI: my 2014 has two red connectors as described by Popgun. The red two pin connector is in the headlight bucket and has a 12 VDC and a ground lead. The red connector under the left side cover is a 4 pin and has two lines that are not grounds or powered, One 12 VDC and one 5 VDC. Perhaps for ABS?
Thanks again,
Jim
 
The Connector directly under the side cover is the diagnostic connector. The 2 pin accessory connector is behind there, but more by the battery in a boot. You need to remove the tool box to really get to it.

I have a GiPro gear indicator plugged into my diagnostic connector.
 
I don’t know the answer to that. Is the information in the service manual? Where would one look?
 
Hunnit as others will confirm this, the connector inside the headlight supplies 12-14 volts at 5 amps or so, it is intended for handle bar warmers etc.
i get the impression that you want to power a phone or similar?

The other connector is behind the left side cover, as far as i know it is a red 4 pole connector ( 4 wires ) and you need to know precisely what to do here since some wires connect to the computer on the bike ( diagnostic connector ) and is used for diagnostic purposes and if used incorrectly can cause serious financial problems, i mention this because of how you pose the question and no disrespect to you.

The 2 pole connector that popgun mentions under the tool box i have no knowledge about but i'm sure he does so stay tuned.

You can certainly use the one in the headlight to power a 5v converter with a usb output of your choice, the 12v connector does switch off with the ignition switch and you would have to find a way to connect it to a 5v adaptor, so it's certainly possible but it needs a bit of electrickery with the connector if that was the question you asked
 
max_imp said:
Hunnit as others will confirm this, the connector inside the headlight supplies 12-14 volts at 5 amps or so, it is intended for handle bar warmers etc.
i get the impression that you want to power a phone or similar?

The other connector is behind the left side cover, as far as i know it is a red 4 pole connector ( 4 wires ) and you need to know precisely what to do here since some wires connect to the computer on the bike ( diagnostic connector ) and is used for diagnostic purposes and if used incorrectly can cause serious financial problems, i mention this because of how you pose the question and no disrespect to you.

The 2 pole connector that popgun mentions under the tool box i have no knowledge about but i'm sure he does so stay tuned.

You can certainly use the one in the headlight to power a 5v converter with a usb output of your choice, the 12v connector does switch off with the ignition switch and you would have to find a way to connect it to a 5v adaptor, so it's certainly possible but it needs a bit of electrickery with the connector if that was the question you asked
I'd like to know what my options are for the bucket leads in the front. In the past, I've used battery tender SAE terminals with a USB converter like this one where the output is 2.1A
Battery Tender USB Charger - RevZilla

I did notice that connector under the left cover but hadn't gotten around to pulling the manual to see what it was...that's where this forum comes in handy :banana:

You're not offending anyone lol I just dont have a voltmeter handy ATM and figured someone on here would know :thumbsup:
 
Hi, well it depends what you want to use it for, i did not know about this accessory but it seems a good option in combination with a battery charger lead that then also can be used for a trickle charger, the difference is of course that the charger needs to be connected to the battery directly usually through a fuse.

I take it that you had a look at the link earlier on in this thread?

That's fine if the phone has a longer cable that then dangles somewhere near the tank.

If you wanted the phone in a cradle that's a different approach and probably needs more like the trackside unit pictured in the right top corner from the headlight on a more permanent basis, you still have to find a for you suitable way to adapt the sae lead to the Honda connector somehow and preferably add a fuse and fuseholder in the mix, find a suitable connector etc.

Many options here, personally i use a 1/4" stereo connector on my bikes and use very thin wire that serves as a fuse by itself but i only have a 0.5 amp. load connected to them, they have a small solar panel connected from time to time that trickle charges the battery when the sun is out and i remember to plug it in.

Both will work for the purpose it is intended for, hope this helps.
 
If intended usage is in doubt, then extend to a standard fused 12V water-resistant socket. This way you can use the 12V socket universally for all of the above Forum-mentioned.
 
Back
Top