ABS or Non-ABS

PilotRider_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hello folks,

New member to this forum. I have been riding my friends 2013 CB1100 on and off for a few months now. I actually ride and own a CTX700 but was involved in an accident a few weeks ago and I am pretty sure Geico will total my motorcycle.

In any case, after this accident, I would really like to ride only ABS equipped motorcycles for now and was wondering if anybody here can illustrate for me how I can determine if my friend's CB1100 has ABS or not. Thank you.

Regards,
Ricardo 'PilotRider'
 
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum
 
Welcome PilotRider!

Easy. Look on the front wheel and see if it has a little slotted ring like the one on the rear wheel. OR, turn on the key and the ABS light should light up if ABS is installed.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Welcome PilotRider!

Easy. Look on the front wheel and see if it has a little slotted ring like the one on the rear wheel. OR, turn on the key and the ABS light should light up if ABS is installed.
Thanks for the tip, popgun! Am guessing this one is non-ABS then, since I don't remember ever seeing any ABS light on the gauges. Will check again this afternoon when I make my trek down to our hanger at the airport where he keeps the bike. Would be too bad if it does not have ABS since I really like riding this motorcycle...so so smooth.
The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum
Thank you sir! :)
 
The ABS light should light up and stay on until the bike speed is 4 or 6 MPH (can't remember the exact speed) and then go out. Also, the non abs bikes do not have the slotted ring on the front wheel. All CB1100s have the ring on the rear to provide speed info for the speedometer.

And in case you hear different, there is no such thing as rear wheel only ABS on any CB1100.

I just noticed that you are looking at a 2013. The 2013 ABS models are kind of rare. They are also the only ABS model with combined brakes, known as C-ABS. Another way to tell besides what I have said is they have a crossover brake line on the front wheel that goes from one caliper to the other.
 
Yet another way is to look at the VIN. If it starts JH2SC655, it's ABS.
 
Welcome to the Forum PilotRider. All good points from our excellent Forum members. In some regions Honda also suffixes an "A" in the official model name tag (A for ABS). In Canada it is CB1100A. Also, when not elsewhere, you will be here.
 
PilotRider_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Welcome PilotRider!

Easy. Look on the front wheel and see if it has a little slotted ring like the one on the rear wheel. OR, turn on the key and the ABS light should light up if ABS is installed.
Thanks for the tip, popgun! Am guessing this one is non-ABS then, since I don't remember ever seeing any ABS light on the gauges. Will check again this afternoon when I make my trek down to our hanger at the airport where he keeps the bike. Would be too bad if it does not have ABS since I really like riding this motorcycle...so so smooth.
The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum
Thank you sir! :)
In case you'll be looking around, in addition to the '13 ABS model, the '14 Deluxe and the '17 EX models were also equipped with ABS.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for the tips on this, this is a fantastic forum!! :)

Unfortunately, all signs point that my friend's CB1100 is non-ABS. I turned the key on yesterday and did not see the ABS indicator. I did take a picture of the front wheel just in case (see attachment). Oh yeah, VIN starts with: JH2SC6511.

So, I guess that's that for now. :rolleyes:



 
Non ABS but still a fantastic motorcycle.
 
ABS is nice. Real nice. My ST1300 has it. My CB1100 does not. Not a deal breaker for me. Like Ferret says, “...still a fantastic motorcycle.”
 
Thread starter
Hey, thanks again folks!

The ferret_imp said:
Non ABS but still a fantastic motorcycle.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
ABS is nice. Real nice. My ST1300 has it. My CB1100 does not. Not a deal breaker for me. Like Ferret says, “...still a fantastic motorcycle.”

Yep, I wholeheartedly concur. I love riding the CB1100, no doubt. Smooth and quiet, nice acceleration.

Houtman_imp said:
ABS has 3 pot caliper in the front , this one has only two
Bummer for me. Oh well.

Still healing from my accident, so lots of thoughts on what to do next. For now, as a relatively novice biker, probably will stick to ABS equipped motorcycles. Lucky for me, we do have a 2007 650 V-Strom with ABS here that I can ride in the meantime while I contemplate on what bike to get. :)
 
Well, the ‘13 ABS models are in short supply in the US. The ‘14 models both have ABS. The Deluxe model is red and also not in large supply, and the standard is black. Plenty of those. Keep your eye on the for sale section. Bikes come up on a regular basis. You may have to do a fly and ride though. I did for my ST and it was a great trip.
 
Popgun, please check your comment. I believe you meant the ‘14 Deluxe has ABS. The black Standard does not have ABS.
 
14 std no ABS, 14 Deluxe does have ABS
 
Ok, I guess the Honda pics are a non-US model.
 
Back
Top