ABS or no? Who has what?

Obliviontoad

Running like a top
Thread starter
I bought the first CB1100 that my dealership had. THEY were unsure what they ordered, and had to search for the answer as to which model they had. I'd have gladly bought an ABS model, but never having had it, it wasn't too compelling to me to wait.
My last bike had a rear drum, and a single front disc. So I would say that this is an amazing improvement. I am of the opinion that it is up to the rider to learn to work with what they have under them. My CB just feels more poised than the cruiser, so maybe thats it.
But the extra security of a possible save from ABS? Seems like it could be a good thing. Wondering what everyone else bought and what they thought.
 
Non ABS here. I wouldn't mind ABS, but I didn't want linked brakes. My ST has linked brakes and I, as well. As many ST owners, as well as many Goldwing owners have had issues with the system. Honda did a recall on the Goldwings, but not so far on the STs.
 
I actually had an ABS model on order. I came home with a non-ABS model. A rather convoluted story involving some mix ups at the dealer and a chance to purchase an ABS model elsewhere in the area. In the end I simply decided to pass on the technology. I think ABS is a great option, but I'm not sure about the linked brake system. Still, I'm really glad that Honda gives us the option and respect those who choose to do so, or not. I've been happy with my decision thus far — the non-ABS brakes are very impressive. I can only imagine that the ABS are even more so under certain circumstances.
 
I also have a non-ABS. Personally I just couldn't justify paying 1/10th the price of the bike just for an extra system.
Call me hard headed, or whatever, but I've been riding for more than 20 years and if I can't control my breaking, then I shouldn't be riding.
 
Mine has no ABS. The primary purpose of ABS is to keep wheels from locking. That's not a problem I've had (even with the marginal braking on the old Nighthawk), so I really didn't care to pay another $1K to have it.

To me the triple discs on the CB11 are amazingly good. They remind me of the brake systems usually found on sportbikes.

I found it interesting that the owners manual pointed out that stopping distances with ABS could actually be longer than without it.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Mine has no ABS. The primary purpose of ABS is to keep wheels from locking. That's not a problem I've had (even with the marginal braking on the old Nighthawk), so I really didn't care to pay another $1K to have it.

To me the triple discs on the CB11 are amazingly good. They remind me of the brake systems usually found on sportbikes.

I found it interesting that the owners manual pointed out that stopping distances with ABS could actually be longer than without it.
That is actually normal. When the ABS pump kicks in, the modulation of the brakes reduces friction to keep the wheel from locking up and therefor will increase stopping distance. But by design it SHOULD allow you to safely maneuver away from whatever caused the panic stop in the first place.

That's the theory anyway.
 
While I didn't end up with it, Honda's ABS system looks pretty impressive to me. I've mentioned before that John McGuinness has gone on record saying that nobody is better than ABS. That's really saying something given his level of talent. And while I don't know if they are using ABS on the TT bikes he rides, ABS is featured on the endurance racing bikes he uses.
 
Mine is Non-ABS too. I like it on my car, but I don't know about a motorcycle. I am NO john McGuinness by the way.

You would think the dealer would know what model they have considering the ABS is $2000 more. My dealer thought my bike had ABS on the rear only. I had to fill them in.
 
Have ABS. Had it on my last bike and never needed it. Sure it engaged on occasion but not in a situation where non ABS wouldn't have been fine. I've also never needed a full face helmet or side air bags and paid extra for that as well. On the other hand, I wear hiking boots instead of riding boots and jeans instead of Kevlar or leather. I think it's great that Honda has provided people with options. Probably only a matter of time before Uncle Sam decides the matter for us. The other thing that is great is someone asking a question about ABS and not having the conversation degenerate into a pissing and shouting match over riding skills.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Mine is Non-ABS too. I like it on my car, but I don't know about a motorcycle. I am NO john McGuinness by the way.

You would think the dealer would know what model they have considering the ABS is $2000 more. My dealer thought my bike had ABS on the rear only. I had to fill them in.
I believe the price difference between the non-ABS and ABS models is $1000. I'd heard about the "rear ABS" comment before. That's worth a good chuckle. (Do they try to charge an extra $500 for that unique option?)
 
Can you say.......speed sensor? Lol.
 
Guth,

You're right, $1000, not $2000.

Speed sensor. Thats funny. The mchanics Knew what it was for on the non-abs bikes, the salemen, not so much.

Now I have to spring the Type I, Type 2 variant on them...
 
I bought and wanted the non-ABS model, but I probably would've bought the ABS model if it was the only one available. I wanted this new CB BAAAAD and was obsessed with owning one and had to have it NOW! :D
 
Thread starter
Yeah. I just wanted to sign the paperwork and get on the road. Kept throwing money at them til they relented. I went non-abs and don't think I'll be unhappy. You never know if the situation will call for it, panic stops can be quite exhilarating. Thanks for the responses. And yes, the civility on this forum is awesome.
 
I went with the ABS. I had them on my Ducati Monster...It was worth the extra $ IMO. I have only been riding street for 4 years, I figure every little bit helps, right? :s
 
Dangergirl416_imp said:
I went with the ABS. I had them on my Ducati Monster...It was worth the extra $ IMO. I have only been riding street for 4 years, I figure every little bit helps, right? :s
I've only been riding for 28 years, and teach advanced riding, and I concur with your logic. :)

ABS for me too.
 
I went with the ABS because it has saved me twice from going down on previous ABS equipped BMW's. $1000 won't even cover the out of pocket cost in medical bills and damage to the bike, in case of a wreck. I think it is a small price to pay.
This is my 16th bike and who knows how many miles, and I believe in ABS.
 
I'd say our bikes will cost a thousand more...
 
Back
Top