ABS Efficacy

ABS on a bike is like having a life insurance policy , you might only use it once in your life time but still very useful.....
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
If I could get ABS on my bike- I would.

I keep an eye on Ebay for the parts to do so- they just don't appear.
Or you could buy a bike with ABS already on it (and a 4 into 4 Moriwaki exhaust ....)
 
I like the use of ABS in regions where road moisture my freeze. Obviously a rider is not going to blatantly ride in iced conditions (or will some?), but even a seasoned rider will experience "black ice" from time-to-time (except maybe Tod and Gin60).

Other bikes allow disabling ABS (e.g. at the rear wheel) for certain duties like offroad, as available on the Honda Africa Twin.
 
Even though, there is no snow and ice here, and our road surface quality is top shelf stuff, there tends to be quite a lot of sand on the road, so braking and cornering do get tricky occasionally. ABS is definitely not something one doesn't need, Honda thinks my bike doesn't need it though, and who am I to question those magnificent engineers

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Tod speaking of road surfaces, how does the bitumen stand up to the heat, over here in NZ the road surface starts to melt and gets shiny, over 30 c. especially where there is low airflow, we have nothing on your temperatures so is a special mixture used in the u.a.e.?
 
Houtman_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
If I could get ABS on my bike- I would.

I keep an eye on Ebay for the parts to do so- they just don't appear.
Or you could buy a bike with ABS already on it (and a 4 into 4 Moriwaki exhaust ....)
Or you could buy a bike with ABS already on it (and a 4 into 4 Moriwaki exhaust ....)

bb57b17459c65d0265d27bf7332bcaf8.png
d4e799153ff92e3c441787c79fcfce51.png
22477ad04347dee12800b533bf46e3dd.png
49ad7cf73b4783ccae69105ab50db632.png
e2c48e291b4b6bd3fee93db90440b75a.png


For 5k I would.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
max_imp said:
Tod speaking of road surfaces, how does the bitumen stand up to the heat, over here in NZ the road surface starts to melt and gets shiny, over 30 c. especially where there is low airflow, we have nothing on your temperatures so is a special mixture used in the u.a.e.?
I'm not really qualified to talk about the asphalt composition, but I can tell you that whatever they do, it's pretty darn good. Surfaces are excellent year round, it's unlikely for any indentations to be formed in the far right from heavy trucks and buses, and I am yet to experience that soft sticky feeling that I encounter in Europe very often. The roads are very very good

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
If I could get ABS on my bike- I would.

I keep an eye on Ebay for the parts to do so- they just don't appear.
Or you could buy a bike with ABS already on it (and a 4 into 4 Moriwaki exhaust ....)
Or you could buy a bike with ABS already on it (and a 4 into 4 Moriwaki exhaust ....)

bb57b17459c65d0265d27bf7332bcaf8.png
d4e799153ff92e3c441787c79fcfce51.png
22477ad04347dee12800b533bf46e3dd.png
49ad7cf73b4783ccae69105ab50db632.png
e2c48e291b4b6bd3fee93db90440b75a.png


For 5k I would.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or you could buy a bike with ABS already on it (and a 4 into 4 Moriwaki exhaust ....)

a6040349170d83b6eca188045a966c97.png
e2fe2ffa5be83b31783ea81eaaf7837d.png
1499fefe6578117692a51774ece7d256.png
ccf6e97b2e6f644b82f16b46a6e16b87.png
bce0e669f387b3b2b71b7cf29212e13a.png


For 5k I would.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have a GREAT sense of humor !
 
ABS is fine, like many other nice-to-have things. What really bothers me is that a bike with ABS installed nowadays fails the following DMV inspection (at least here in Europe) if the ABS light doesn't come on and turns off as expected. Regardless of the possible reason, no light, no certificate. Grrr
I'd prefer ABS if it works, and if it doesn't, fine, my choice whether I can still ride or not.
 
Thread starter
Time to resurrect this.

Friend Ryan at FortNine has entered the discussion:
 
The line from the crash investigator "Speed not the cause of most motorcycle accidents, it's bad braking" is to me a load of rubbish. I know what he is trying to say but it is a very poor message to send to younger riders.

I have no doubt Incorrect speed for the prevailing condition is the most common reason for motorcycle riders self induced accidents. You can watch a million YouTube videos on bike crashes and the majority is all down to inappropriate speed.

It is a shame he didn't add a little more balance to the video and do the same tests in the wet which is when most of us would have a better chance of benefitting from the technology. We know the reason why of course, he'd have two broken legs by now! :s

I will say I sure do ride my 147HP non ABS Daytona 1200 with GREAT respect in the rain!
 
Back
Top