About your valve adjustment, plug replacement...

Red Mist_imp

Been there
Thread starter
These are emissions-related maintenance intervals. It's entirely possible that the bike could go much longer but since the bike is air-cooled, the maintenance schedule is much tighter in order to meet EPA requirements.

So there is some truth in the notion that 8K is an absurdly short interval, especially for spark plugs.

How many have found valves out of adjustment on the first 8K service?
 
Not me. In fact, with the exception of one intake valve, all mine were exactly on spec. The one intake was still within the +/- tolerance and didn't need to be adjusted.
 
Is it cheapness or sloth that inclines you to neglect your baby?
Me, I'd prefer to check the valves every 8000 miles and keep the clearances as close as possible to centered on the spec. Better for the bike's long-term health, better for performance, and the injectors practically synchronize themselves when you've got all the valves as close as possible to uniform clearance.
If you are resourceful & patient (& neurotic), you can even find the half-size shims (I believe they go to .025mm increments instead of the usual .05mm) to help keep the clearances center-mass.
 
calamarichris_imp said:
Is it cheapness or sloth that inclines you to neglect your baby?
Me, I'd prefer to check the valves every 8000 miles and keep the clearances as close as possible to centered on the spec. Better for the bike's long-term health, better for performance, and the injectors practically synchronize themselves when you've got all the valves as close as possible to uniform clearance.
If you are resourceful & patient (& neurotic), you can even find the half-size shims (I believe they go to .025mm increments instead of the usual .05mm) to help keep the clearances center-mass.
And I'll bet your sock drawer is color coded for the day of the week. Man, life is too short to be that picky.
 
Thread starter
calamarichris_imp said:
Is it cheapness or sloth that inclines you to neglect your baby?
Me, I'd prefer to check the valves every 8000 miles and keep the clearances as close as possible to centered on the spec. Better for the bike's long-term health, better for performance, and the injectors practically synchronize themselves when you've got all the valves as close as possible to uniform clearance.
If you are resourceful & patient (& neurotic), you can even find the half-size shims (I believe they go to .025mm increments instead of the usual .05mm) to help keep the clearances center-mass.
It is best to run your valve clearances to the loose side. Valves run cooler that way.
 
:rofl:
sanoke_imp said:
calamarichris_imp said:
Is it cheapness or sloth that inclines you to neglect your baby?
Me, I'd prefer to check the valves every 8000 miles and keep the clearances as close as possible to centered on the spec. Better for the bike's long-term health, better for performance, and the injectors practically synchronize themselves when you've got all the valves as close as possible to uniform clearance.
If you are resourceful & patient (& neurotic), you can even find the half-size shims (I believe they go to .025mm increments instead of the usual .05mm) to help keep the clearances center-mass.
And I'll bet your sock drawer is color coded for the day of the week. Man, life is too short to be that picky.
And I'll bet your sock drawer is color coded for the day of the week. Man, life is too short to be that picky. :rofl:
calamarichris_imp said:
What's a "sock"? I don't even wash my feet, but your bike is your baby, man!
Do you even own a CB1100? Have you even ridden one?

I do and have, so maybe you're just an Internet blowhard, trying to push a few buttons?

I think we're all on to you. Enjoy your W800. :hello:
 
Back
Top