About the problem of high idling. (2014 cb1100ex)

GO i used a 4 pole cable with different colors, they have fitting " header connectors " and one header connector has 4 thin wires which fit into the iacv connector and has 2.5 mm pin spacing.

The shield of the cables is connected to the bike chassis ( battery ground ) through the red clip and the others tap into two of the four wires.



And a closeup of the connectors;



This way i can get easy access to the connections

The two inner wires connect to coil 1 and the outside wires connect to coil2, i think i used yellow and orange
 
Yeah, i've watched several videos with an initial review, it looks daunting to me and the quick start guide is 331 easy pages.
It also requires 24 volts at 2.5 amps with a proprietary dc connector, so not very portable without the optional battery back assembly.

This little handheld thing falls definitely in the toy category and in true chinese fashion was unstable until i added a 100 ohm resistor to one of the i2c data lines......
but it runs for 5 hours on a built-in battery and it is practical to use for some things except in outdoor light.
it does not have the automotive capture facility that the hs402 has, that scope tablet is nice for analyzing engine performance and i play with it with various transducers and that is satisfying, i watch a lot of automotive diagnostic video's, ATS's Bernie thompson is fascinating to watch with his e-scope tablet.

My use of scopes is very sporadic and i have no training with them but they are able to show me what i want to know so they get used from time to time
 
max_imp said:
Yeah, i've watched several videos with an initial review, it looks daunting to me and the quick start guide is 331 easy pages.
It also requires 24 volts at 2.5 amps with a proprietary dc connector, so not very portable without the optional battery back assembly.

This little handheld thing falls definitely in the toy category and in true chinese fashion was unstable until i added a 100 ohm resistor to one of the i2c data lines......
but it runs for 5 hours on a built-in battery and it is practical to use for some things except in outdoor light.
it does not have the automotive capture facility that the hs402 has, that scope tablet is nice for analyzing engine performance and i play with it with various transducers and that is satisfying, i watch a lot of automotive diagnostic video's, ATS's Bernie thompson is fascinating to watch with his e-scope tablet.

My use of scopes is very sporadic and i have no training with them but they are able to show me what i want to know so they get used from time to time
That seems to be the role of an oscilloscope: Burst need, then collect dust until the next burst need.

That said, these days (2010 and beyond) having a scope in the house seems to be the "new essential DVM" given the continuous growing complexity of current day electronics that are typically "none-serviceable".

A modern home HVAC is another example where three-phases feeds are emulated electronically to drive a blower motor efficiently. Another is evaluating a failing gas valve, and the signal commands they are receiving / statuses transmitting.

Seems to make sense to have the tool around the CB1100 if you have the time to understand technology and likely save some $$ doing so. In other words: The bar for tinkering with system electronics is higher today than in the 1960s - for sure (although I think tinkering with tube electronics is still a pain in the butt).
 
It is a shame Honda does not do something about it, as it has thoroughly destroyed any confidence I had in Honda products.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have owned about 12 - 15 different Honda motorcycles in my lifetime and have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. However, the response Honda has provided for CB1100 owners just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I have only experienced one other warranty related issue with a new Honda product I purchased, and unfortunately it was a challenge to receive satisfaction from Honda for this repair also - but I eventually did.
 
Dave_imp said:
It is a shame Honda does not do something about it, as it has thoroughly destroyed any confidence I had in Honda products.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have owned about 12 - 15 different Honda motorcycles in my lifetime and have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. However, the response Honda has provided for CB1100 owners just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I have only experienced one other warranty related issue with a new Honda product I purchased, and unfortunately it was a challenge to receive satisfaction from Honda for this repair also - but I eventually did.
:thumbsup:
 
Dave_imp said:
It is a shame Honda does not do something about it, as it has thoroughly destroyed any confidence I had in Honda products.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have owned about 12 - 15 different Honda motorcycles in my lifetime and have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. However, the response Honda has provided for CB1100 owners just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I have only experienced one other warranty related issue with a new Honda product I purchased, and unfortunately it was a challenge to receive satisfaction from Honda for this repair also - but I eventually did.
The warranty experience is not just limited to the Honda CB1100.

I think Honda is desperately clinging onto their overall reliability across the product lines and playing the numbers game as long as they can, and at the expense of individual owner grievances.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
max_imp said:
Well, it is expensive, but would be worth it if it did the job. More money down the drain if not. Have to look at their return policy. Thanks Max.
Well, it is expensive, but would be worth it if it did the job. More money down the drain if not. Have to look at their return policy. Thanks Max. Honda has changed the part number for the PGM-FI Unit for both the CB1100AC and CB1100SA AC models. Are the SA models California specific?
CB1100SA AC:
1. 38770-MGC-A73.
2. 38770-MGC-A74.

What's going on? Do any other Honda products use these same part number PGM-FI Units?
 
Already discussed in other threads here... plenty of places online you can order and even though 'the rules say' you can return things with no issues..
 
Dave, I think the SA is the DLX. To the best of my knowledge all US CB1100s are saleable in California.

As for whether the parts are used on other bikes, try here OBSOLETE 04631-S5P-415ZZ.

Enter the part number and search. 38770-MGC-A73 is only for the CB1100; 38770-MGC-A74 does not return a result.
 
I entered 38770-MGC-A24 in Google and several places show it for sale including Partzilla, Revzilla and some on Ebay. Partzilla is the low price at $478. with the highest an Ebay seller at $706. I believe Parts Fish was a little higher than Partzilla.
 
Yesterday i bought two 330 ohm resistors, unplugged the iacv and installed them in the iacv connector;



and put insulation tape around them to keep things in place;



Before i did this i had switched the cb off when coming back from a ride so the engine idled at 1050.

Lifted the tank, removed the plastic panel and disconnected the iacv ( in the 1050 rpm position )

Then went for a short ride with the resistors installed and all went well, engine drove as usual, no change.

This morning the engine was cold when i started the bike and this was the result;


There are several other options, one example is having a two way switch change from having the iacv immobilized with the resistors or having it operate normally, this requires ;
A double pole 2 way switch, the two resistors and two connectors, one male and one female 4 pole connector.
That way it is very simple to alter the position of the iacv when the situation changes ( colder weather )

If this worked for me it may work for you, cost; 1 dollar for the two 1 watt 330 ohm resistors, what is importand is the diameter of the resistor leads which is 0,7 mm. so they fit correctly in the female connector.
 
Video worked for me, Max. Thanks.
 
Back
Top