A Winter's Tale

Ulvetanna_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Sorry guys, there were too many ??? regarding ownership of this story; I figured it best not to put anyone in an uncomfortable spot.

To all who wish to see what happens, I'll see if I can temporarily host it in a dropbox using a link, so this site will not have to have any concerns.
 
Looks like the edit to your post makes it incomprehensible to those of who, for geographic or other reasons came late to your post ...

Curiously, Google provided a tantalizing glimpse—The Gloaming. There was just a hint of frost in the air ...

I wonder how long it will stay there?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Looks like the edit to your post makes it incomprehensible to those of who, for geographic or other reasons came late to your post ...

Curiously, Google provided a tantalizing glimpse—The Gloaming. There was just a hint of frost in the air ...

I wonder how long it will stay there?
You found this on Google? You mean, this page before I deleted? I just figured fiction wasn't gonna go because no one seemed to be reading it. Maybe just not the right audience, no sense trying to dig up those old archives and repost them unless someone enjoys. Just thought I'd give it a try, fiction has sort of become a thing of the past these days.
What's the page on Google? I sure can't find it anywhere. That's kind of funny, actually.
Well if anyone wants to read it I can dig it up again, it's very old file from the late 1990's back when Altavista was IT.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I hadn't got around to reading it, but it was in my to do list.
Well alrighty then, I'll repost it, first chapter. If y'all like it I'll put it all up there. Just something I remember from back in the day and came to mine because of all the winter riding pictures and threads.
 
I started to read it as it is my era stuff ( kick starters, carbs, thick leather jackets and all) but I ran out of time. Got in from a ride about 11:15 and took off in the car with my wife, and just got back from a day visiting relatives down in Kentucky. Had no idea it had been deleted in my absence, but glad to see it's back so I can finish it.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I started to read it as it is my era stuff ( kick starters, carbs, thick leather jackets and all) but I ran out of time. Got in from a ride about 11:15 and took off in the car with my wife, and just got back from a day visiting relatives down in Kentucky. Had no idea it had been deleted in my absence, but glad to see it's back so I can finish it.
Sorry about the trouble guys, I wasn't sure about posting it to begin with but if someone's reading it a bit then why not?
 
Thread starter
physics-teacher_imp said:
Interesting how this reminds me of Jack London and maybe a little of Steinbeck.
That's why I liked it. I will dig up the rest and get it posted, it's sort of a long short story. I have to read every word as I found a few "non-family-friendly" words here and there.
 
My kingdom for some terrain. FL offers a scant whiff of vertical delta towards the state's rural middle section, but this story gets me Jonesin' for some Dragon Tail.

Help a thirty-something understand the uncertainty of a cold bike and a kick start. I've only known the electric push-button slide (and the occasional bump start when I've neglected the acid reservoir) and imagine some mornings kicked back.
 
Thread starter
johnf514_imp said:
My kingdom for some terrain. FL offers a scant whiff of vertical delta towards the state's rural middle section, but this story gets me Jonesin' for some Dragon Tail.

Help a thirty-something understand the uncertainty of a cold bike and a kick start. I've only known the electric push-button slide (and the occasional bump start when I've neglected the acid reservoir) and imagine some mornings kicked back.
I don't think the brand is mentioned in the story but my guess is, British undoubtedly. Those things were very sketchy at times, easy to flood. So former or current kick-starters will recognize the drill. If you get the sparkplug(s) wet you often need to remove them and dry them out before trying again, or turn off the gas and kick and kick until it dries out a bit. They don't have a proper choke (hardly anyone knows what that is either I am sure), it's usually some kind of a "tickler" or enrichener circuit and it's hard to get it just right. Actually it is surprising the guy got it started in just a few kicks and I do question his smoking a cigar in a barn full of hay, but then again I grew up on a farm and the grownups I worked around did that kind of stuff all the time so it's not far-fetched in the least. This guy in the story is obviously pretty headstrong and determined and will do as he pleases.

Getting one of those started back in the day was something to be proud of and was always a fun spectacle to watch at the roadhouse. I have had a lot of kick start bikes, at least a half-dozen and rode them all over; I rode an XL600 from Ketchikan, Alaska to Los Angeles once through British Columbia, rained all the way to Portland. I would not own one now, though, too old for that stuff.
 
Wow, hard to believe there are motorcyclists that have never dealt with kick starters, carburators and primitive magneto or points and condesor ignition systems.

Until the Japanese brought in Keihen and Mikuni carbs, metering fuel for a motorcycle was a rather haphazard affair, and until the intoduction of electronic ignition rather than points and condensor, a strong reliable spark was a bit of a mystery at times too.

Then again the man in the story was butting up against winter and gas atomizes more slowly when it's cold, and the old leaded fuel had less volatility as well.

Combine all those things and starting a motorcycle with a few prods of a kick was often a bit of good luck, and an excercise in frustration.

Some bikes required a certain drill. I had a 59 Harley Sporster. IF you put the choke on, kick 3 times, turn the choke off, turn ignition on, it would generally start on first kick. Didn't follow that procedure and best of luck. you might kick for 15 or 20 minutes.

Can't tell you how many times in the early days you'd get dressed for a ride, roll the bike out, kick the starter once, twice... ten times, start taking off gear because you were starting to over heat, kick ten more times. Then give up and go inside for awhile until you cooled off and come back out and start the drill again lol.

Still I lamented when they started leaving kick starters off of bikes, but in the end it turned out to be pretty much a non issue.

We really are lucky these days.
 
Ulvetanna, thanks for the vivid description. Imagining pulling wet sparkplugs to dry out to get back on the road makes me appreciate how far motorcycle tech has come, and how the cost of this tech has come down far enough that it is included/expected even on entry model rides.

I've used pull start on lawn equipment, but never had to deal with overcoming the higher compression needed to fire up hundreds of CCs of cold engine. Would like to throw my leg over an older model to see if I have what it takes. I'd probably make quite a spectacle for the seasoned riders.

Ferret, your note about going from cold, to sweating, back to the cold again, all without a running bike has me shaking my head. I had a Ninja 500 with a choke, so I understand a bit of the pain of finding the right procedure on how to keep the bike running. Replace kick starting with holding a button down and hoping the battery had enough juice in it, and you've got my first winter with that bike. I flooded the carbs a couple of times, and the petcock on that thing was iffy on a good day.

Much appreciation for the ladies and gents before me ushering in the era of electric start and refining the technology so we all can have our ride and not sweat it, too. OK, back to story time.
 
Thread starter
Later model bikes had either a manual or automatic compression release which helped quite a lot. But I have been kicked back several times and from a big single, 550-600cc, it hurts and leaves a real bruise. A bigger bike without compression release can break a guy's foot. The two-strokes were much easier to start and didn't kick back.
 
Back
Top