A Video to Make Us All Think

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
This video was posted on the Triumph 1050 Forum yesterday. It's disturbing to watch but valuable in that it demonstrates just how suddenly bad things can happen while riding, especially at higher speeds. The rider's family released the video with the hope that it may benefit others.

Who was at fault for this accident matters little as there is plenty to be found in the actions of rider and van driver. Difficult as it is to watch, I think it could be an asset to motorcyclists as a reminder to slow down, be aware and wear that safety gear.

 
What a tragedy. As I said in another thread, we choose to ride in an environment where humans, and that includes us, will make tragic errors. Slow down, but how slow? Will that stop you from getting rear ended? Life can be very risky.

Hard to say Cheers after watching that.
 
I don't know what is in the video, but I generally can't watch stuff like that if it involves someone getting hurt badly or killed.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I don't know what is in the video, but I generally can't watch stuff like that if it involves someone getting hurt badly or killed.
It's POV and there's no actual scene of the human damage, so we're spared that aspect. How quickly something so 'normal' turned into something horrid is an eye opener.
 
Sad story, feel very bad for the mother.
Some one said once said " live as if this is your last day but dream as if you live forever "
Make the most of each day as tomorrow might never come.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I don't know what is in the video, but I generally can't watch stuff like that if it involves someone getting hurt badly or killed.
This is my view. Glad the OP gave a warning first - not watching the vid.
 
Tragic event, very brave of the mother to present it so well and discuss it for all of us to benefit. Tragically both parties at fault. I am a firm believer in headlight modulator, Skene Design Photon blasters, safety Hiviz green clothes. Heck when I retire and do the mega tour on my 1990 BMW K75RT it might get it painted Hiviz green. Remember grey and silver are the hardest colors in vehicles to see.

Just las week while riding my motorcycle on the two lane country road is saw a mile maybe more a bright white small blinking light. I slowed up and sure enough a bicycle with a flashing white LED light. IT WORKS!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I just watched the video, its something that happens everyday. When i received my motorcycle insurance renewal it said 4 motorcyclist are killed everyday at intersections. Damn, they just do not see us on motorcycles

There are so many traffic accidents just like this with two vehicles, we just don't get a second chance on bikes.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Sad story, feel very bad for the mother.
Some one said once said " live as if this is your last day but dream as if you live forever "
Make the most of each day as tomorrow might never come.
Well said. Be careful out there gents, ride defensively and assume that you are invisible!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I just saw the BBC report on this accident. The motorcycle was traveling at 97mph. The car driver lost license for 18 months and a fair number of community service hours. Both the car and motorcycle heavily damaged.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I agree some type of extra lighting is needed. Twice in the last month I experience drivers being blind or mesmerized to the point of not seeing an even very bright single headlight. One of them was ME!

1. I was rounding a curve with my headlight shinning right at a car exiting a parking lot...driving defensively I wondered by the slow roll if they were going to stop so I braked in plenty of time to come to a complete stop, but at the same time flashed by high beam and the driver locked up the brakes half way out in the road....

2. I was backing out of my drive way, my neighbor was coming down the road on his motorcycle with a very bright light I compared to a light as bright as a train (it was not of course, but it WAS very bright). Even as a motorcycle rider, I was amazed how the light appeared to be not moving and I wanted to back out because no motion was detected until my neighbor started to turn into his drive way right before he got to my house. Had he continued directly towards me, I'm not sure if I would have backed out in front of him or not...which was totally amazing! There must be some logical physics/psychological reason for this blindness to a single light coming straight at someones eyes.

I'm not sure about flashing lights (I know they make some drivers angry), but I definitely need some additional lights, the help me be visible!
 
Elipten_imp said:
I just saw the BBC report on this accident. The motorcycle was traveling at 97mph. The car driver lost license for 18 months and a fair number of community service hours. Both the car and motorcycle heavily damaged.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I watched the video and it's not graphic, at least not as measured by what I see in mainstream culture. I'm curious to know what the speed limit is on that road but my guess would be nowhere near 97MPH. I think it's good to understand that drivers have to make a mental calculation of time based on their estimation of your speed and distance. Some are horrible at making that calculation in general. If you increase your speed to an atypically high speed, then their calculation of time is way off and this is the result.
 
Federal government supports headlight modulation so must have lots of data indicating it improves safety. Other studies show three lights forming a triangle improves humans ability to estimate distance to the three lights versus one or 2 light source. Hence why important 2 additional lights up front.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Novice_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
I just saw the BBC report on this accident. The motorcycle was traveling at 97mph. The car driver lost license for 18 months and a fair number of community service hours. Both the car and motorcycle heavily damaged.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I watched the video and it's not graphic, at least not as measured by what I see in mainstream culture. I'm curious to know what the speed limit is on that road but my guess would be nowhere near 97MPH. I think it's good to understand that drivers have to make a mental calculation of time based on their estimation of your speed and distance. Some are horrible at making that calculation in general. If you increase your speed to an atypically high speed, then their calculation of time is way off and this is the result.
I watched the video and it's not graphic, at least not as measured by what I see in mainstream culture. I'm curious to know what the speed limit is on that road but my guess would be nowhere near 97MPH. I think it's good to understand that drivers have to make a mental calculation of time based on their estimation of your speed and distance. Some are horrible at making that calculation in general. If you increase your speed to an atypically high speed, then their calculation of time is way off and this is the result.
+1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Novice_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
I just saw the BBC report on this accident. The motorcycle was traveling at 97mph. The car driver lost license for 18 months and a fair number of community service hours. Both the car and motorcycle heavily damaged.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I watched the video and it's not graphic, at least not as measured by what I see in mainstream culture. I'm curious to know what the speed limit is on that road but my guess would be nowhere near 97MPH. I think it's good to understand that drivers have to make a mental calculation of time based on their estimation of your speed and distance. Some are horrible at making that calculation in general. If you increase your speed to an atypically high speed, then their calculation of time is way off and this is the result.
Maybe not graphic, but it's real and surely elicits some empathy towards all concerned. It did in me anyway.

Cheers
 
Novice_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
I just saw the BBC report on this accident. The motorcycle was traveling at 97mph. The car driver lost license for 18 months and a fair number of community service hours. Both the car and motorcycle heavily damaged.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I watched the video and it's not graphic, at least not as measured by what I see in mainstream culture. I'm curious to know what the speed limit is on that road but my guess would be nowhere near 97MPH. I think it's good to understand that drivers have to make a mental calculation of time based on their estimation of your speed and distance. Some are horrible at making that calculation in general. If you increase your speed to an atypically high speed, then their calculation of time is way off and this is the result.
Everything I could find said the limit was 60 MPH.
 
I am truly sorry for all parties especially the parents. Both drivers at fault but 97mph in a 60mph, no doubt car driver underestimated time to turn due to the speed of the motorcycle and then add the difficulty in seeing a motorcycle.

I tell you Hiviz green helmet and jacket, with modulated head light and extra lights will save lives but not eliminate all accidents.

The is no way anything can tighten the lose nut behind the wheel. Just the risk of dealing with unpredictable humans.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I don't normally chime in on things like this, but I felt the need to.

This accident could have been prevented if:

A) The motorcyclist was not speeding on public roads
B) The car was paying attention

As far as I am concerned, both were at fault. It's a shame a death resulted in this, and I really do feel for his family. But motorcycling is what it is. The bike only goes as fast as it's operator tells it. With great power comes great responsibility. Save the speed for a track.
 
Back
Top