A toast to those who have moved on.

Brookland27_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Had a thought I want to hear from former owners who still stalk the forum with what they traded their cb in for and why. As a chronic bike trader I'm plagued with this but honestly I can't imagine what compares to this machine its perfect for me. Every so often j want to believe its it dorsnt have enough power then i roll on a wheel stand in first gear or stick it in 3rd and get wide eyed and dump those thoughts. So come on let me hear it what came along that drew you astray and why further do you regret it.
 
Well...I haven't sold mine yet, but I did get a replacement. Don't get me wrong - I liked the look; loved the performance; the chassis handles fine.

What went wrong?

Three things. The level of vibration was just a bit more than I'd have liked. There seems no getting away from it.

Second...with my 33" inseam...it was just a mite bit cramped. And I'm getting older; and I'm not doing so well with riding with a crouch anymore.

Finally, the raw weight of it - no, it's not that heavy; but at 530 pounds it's getting a little too heavy for ME as I get older.

Interestingly, I had, for my gofer bike, a TW200. The position of the pegs had my legs less folded; and on IT I was just-fine. I could ride that for hours on end. On the CB, I'd start to cramp up.

I looked at lowered pegs; read about raised seats; measured to see how much lift I could put on the bars. In the end though...modifying the bike would mean the center of gravity or the clearance would be changed. Hey, let's face it: It's a beautiful ride, but it's probably...not...the right one...for me.

As it happened, I cadged a ride on a Wee-Strom. I was delighted with the smoothness, the riding position. The power is a little less, but then, the weight is a hundred pounds less, too.

So I bought. Credit is cheap right now. The CB is for sale - that's what I'm doing over here so much. Checking PMs. I don't expect to sell it right away, but it'd be nice to pay off the loan and get things more in order.
 
Chapomis_imp said:
We're there any other considerations ?
Only reasons not to do it.

I like the retro look. Chassis is fine; balanced; neutral handling.

I owe money on this one.

Bottom line is, though, I'm not gonna be able to ride forever. So...do I want to pay a few thousand extra to get something that meets my needs better; and have to deal with the hassle of a sale? Selling a motorcycle in this day and age, is never easy - unless you have a Harley that's really pimped out, or a BMW GS with bags and Bluetooth.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Chapomis_imp said:
We're there any other considerations ?
Only reasons not to do it.

I like the retro look. Chassis is fine; balanced; neutral handling.

I owe money on this one.

Bottom line is, though, I'm not gonna be able to ride forever. So...do I want to pay a few thousand extra to get something that meets my needs better; and have to deal with the hassle of a sale? Selling a motorcycle in this day and age, is never easy - unless you have a Harley that's really pimped out, or a BMW GS with bags and Bluetooth.
Only reasons not to do it.

I like the retro look. Chassis is fine; balanced; neutral handling.

I owe money on this one.

Bottom line is, though, I'm not gonna be able to ride forever. So...do I want to pay a few thousand extra to get something that meets my needs better; and have to deal with the hassle of a sale? Selling a motorcycle in this day and age, is never easy - unless you have a Harley that's really pimped out, or a BMW GS with bags and Bluetooth.
I meant vs the Wee-Strom
 
Chapomis_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Chapomis_imp said:
We're there any other considerations ?
Only reasons not to do it.

I like the retro look. Chassis is fine; balanced; neutral handling.

I owe money on this one.

Bottom line is, though, I'm not gonna be able to ride forever. So...do I want to pay a few thousand extra to get something that meets my needs better; and have to deal with the hassle of a sale? Selling a motorcycle in this day and age, is never easy - unless you have a Harley that's really pimped out, or a BMW GS with bags and Bluetooth.
Only reasons not to do it.

I like the retro look. Chassis is fine; balanced; neutral handling.

I owe money on this one.

Bottom line is, though, I'm not gonna be able to ride forever. So...do I want to pay a few thousand extra to get something that meets my needs better; and have to deal with the hassle of a sale? Selling a motorcycle in this day and age, is never easy - unless you have a Harley that's really pimped out, or a BMW GS with bags and Bluetooth.
I meant vs the Wee-Strom
Well...the generic look of today...when the V-Strom was new the style was new. It's aging; like the UJM look aged. What was once new is no longer.

And the cramped engine space.

That's the negative. Pluses: A hundred pounds lighter...I can feel it. Less vibration...yes, I can feel it. A more natural riding position. And I like the digital speedo. Plus...heated grips on this thing. I resisted going with heated grips on the CB, first because I had a deep down payment; and then because I put thick, padded grips on it and filled the handlebars with lead shot.

I do not like the V-Strom headlights - although that's a minor consideration; I don't ride after dark if I can at all avoid it. Know that the CB1100 has a MUCH better headlight beam pattern - even if there is only one headlight assembly.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
So, based on the title, I thought this thread was a part of a Día de Muertos observation.
That's what I thought too. I was all ready to reach for the Old Whisky River bourbon even though it's not yet 9AM here. ( Despite what my signature line says, I don't usually drink in the A.M. but was willing to make an exception)
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Chapomis_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Chapomis_imp said:
We're there any other considerations ?
Only reasons not to do it.

I like the retro look. Chassis is fine; balanced; neutral handling.

I owe money on this one.

Bottom line is, though, I'm not gonna be able to ride forever. So...do I want to pay a few thousand extra to get something that meets my needs better; and have to deal with the hassle of a sale? Selling a motorcycle in this day and age, is never easy - unless you have a Harley that's really pimped out, or a BMW GS with bags and Bluetooth.
Only reasons not to do it.

I like the retro look. Chassis is fine; balanced; neutral handling.

I owe money on this one.

Bottom line is, though, I'm not gonna be able to ride forever. So...do I want to pay a few thousand extra to get something that meets my needs better; and have to deal with the hassle of a sale? Selling a motorcycle in this day and age, is never easy - unless you have a Harley that's really pimped out, or a BMW GS with bags and Bluetooth.
I meant vs the Wee-Strom
Well...the generic look of today...when the V-Strom was new the style was new. It's aging; like the UJM look aged. What was once new is no longer.

And the cramped engine space.

That's the negative. Pluses: A hundred pounds lighter...I can feel it. Less vibration...yes, I can feel it. A more natural riding position. And I like the digital speedo. Plus...heated grips on this thing. I resisted going with heated grips on the CB, first because I had a deep down payment; and then because I put thick, padded grips on it and filled the handlebars with lead shot.

I do not like the V-Strom headlights - although that's a minor consideration; I don't ride after dark if I can at all avoid it. Know that the CB1100 has a MUCH better headlight beam pattern - even if there is only one headlight assembly.
I had reached the same conclusion on the V-strom my wife has until I took the time to properly aim the lights. They are woefully misaligned as the bike is delivered. The Stromtrooper Forum has much info on this. After aligning the headlights I would say that the V-strom has fine lighting up front, every bit as good as the CB1100.
 
I will raise a glass to Lou Reed. I think it was a little more than a year ago when he left the building. He was a cool dude.
 
Sadly, I loved my CB so much I had to let her go. I made it much to nice for my the environment out here. I had a 13 with the black motor and didn't like what was happening to it's looks.
Late that year the BMW R9T came out, marking the end of an era for the 90 year old boxer motor I've always liked. I'm hoping this will be my last :D and wanted to own one from new if it was to really be my last.
One thing really stood out after the change was how little I'll miss chain-drive.
The CB's a great bike, things might have went different for me if the DLX (silver motor) came out first.
I have regrets but it's always that way seeing one go......

I'm still alive in Other Bikes:
Nantucket Nine

:D
 
I have 3 and they all have their day in the sun. The gen2 Busa is fully faired and is my highway bike of choice and I sometimes ride it to the lake. It's waaaay warmer with the fairing, not to mention the power it has. 0-100 on this thing is effortless and happens in what seems a blink of the eye.

The CB is my throwback to the KZ days and this bike so reminds me. I don't have a mind to sell it but one never knows. I've owned many bikes. It's comfortable and people seem to really like it.

The third is the old '06 Gixxer 1000 trackbike that I'm converting to a hell raiser naked. Every time I ride this bike I'm reminded of how well a motorcycle can handle. It's the best driving bike I've ever ridden and it runs and shifts so smooth.

I ride them all and like them all but when it's raining, I'm in the Miata.
 
Back
Top