A Tale of Two Centuries

gman_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Memorial Day weekend I fell upon a !982 KZ1000 LTD with only 16,000 (one Owner) miles. Everything is original except for tires, battery, and the fact the previous owner had the fuel tank professionally painted and clear coated as well as the leather Saddleman seat. Very little rust hear and there and I have already disassembled most of the bike for complete detailing.

Bike starts easy (with choke when cold) and performed perfectly on the way home with test speeds up to 80mph.

My 3rd bike, purchased new as a teen was a 1975 Kawasaki 900 in beautiful Candy Blue metallic. Unfortunately someone lifted it from me a little after one year of ownership.

Pictures are below, I will have fun restoring this 38 year old classic.
 
That looks fun! I'd love to start a new project like that, but I think if another bike followed me home the wife would be a bit cross.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
That looks fun! I'd love to start a new project like that, but I think if another bike followed me home the wife would be a bit cross.
I told my wife my intention was to restore and then flip! Yet every time I hear her telling friends and family members about the bike she say's it will probably never be flipped, LOL:excited:
 
Thread starter
Took some time this week to prep the KAW for detailing. I am impressed with the lack of corrosion on the bike given its 38 years old. Zero rust on the fenders (a known issue on the '13 CB and only a few small spots on the chrome chain guard. Of course the aluminum parts show heavy oxidation as to be expected. More pictures to come:
 
Cannot remember anyone laying out his tools during a job so neatly like that, must be something wrong with that:D mine just land where they are strewn around the bike and gravity makes sure they stay there.

Like Gone mentioned looking at pictures like that ( very well done by the way ) just looks inviting to start reviving a project, coffee at the ready and all that.
I like what you did with the battery drill collection, very practical and organized and for some reason i like your windows, looking more traditional.

Good stuff Gman, thanks for sharing once more.:beerchug:
 
Thread starter
max_imp said:
Cannot remember anyone laying out his tools during a job so neatly like that, must be something wrong with that:D mine just land where they are strewn around the bike and gravity makes sure they stay there.

Like Gone mentioned looking at pictures like that ( very well done by the way ) just looks inviting to start reviving a project, coffee at the ready and all that.
I like what you did with the battery drill collection, very practical and organized and for some reason i like your windows, looking more traditional.

Good stuff Gman, thanks for sharing once more.:beerchug:
Don't let the picture fool you. Hands, tools, etc were covered with grime and grease while pulling parts off and scattered around as well. Had to clean things up before taking pic's. The cabinet setup for the cordless drills and battery storage was taken from a post on the web, there are people who sell these, but I found a sight with materials and instructions and then modded the design for my use.

Thanks for the kind words.

Glenn
 
Cool bike, great shape.

One of my favorite bikes was an '82 LTD 750. Lots of fun for years while I was in the Army. But sold decades ago.

Somewhere around 2012 I came across another on Craig's list and went to look at it with my wife.

I was soo excited on the drive there, telling her about the bike..why those old standards of that era were better in a way that modern bikes weren't...not a race bike, not a massively heavy cruiser... extolling the joy of UJM.

We arrived to the seller...I looked the bike over and we talked a bit. I then took it for a ride down the street and back.

In that brief few seconds my illusion was broken. Sure the bike was a little worn out.. but it just felt off, crude, awkward..

I brought the bike back to him, said I would think it over and let him know...and we drove home.

My wife didn't say much, I just told her that wasn't the bike for me.

But it still was the memory of the old UJM and my LTD that made me buy the CB1100 and is the bike I modeled my setup after.

Enjoy it!! Keep us updated.
 
Thread starter
gman_imp said:
Took some time this week to prep the KAW for detailing. I am impressed with the lack of corrosion on the bike given its 38 years old. Zero rust on the fenders (a known issue on the '13 CB and only a few small spots on the chrome chain guard. Of course the aluminum parts show heavy oxidation as to be expected. More pictures to come:
I am in the final stages of detailing the bike. I began my work on the fuel tank yesterday. The paint is in almost perfect condition on the outside, but discovered that the previous owner had lined the inside of the tank.

The liner was failing and I removed a substantial amount of it before chemical cleaning to start today. Nasty stuff..........................box cutter is for size reference, this was removed by hand!
 
Great project for these locked-down times. Glad you were able to remove so much of that parchment looking stuff before cleaning.
 
Thread starter
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Great project for these locked-down times. Glad you were able to remove so much of that parchment looking stuff before cleaning.
I believe it is rubber based product as it is very flexible and strong, looking online might be a product called Kreem or a variant that worked fairly well before ethanol became the rule of the land in the USA. I have a station very close that sells non ethanol gas and that is what will be used in the future.

I will not be re-lining the tank after cleaning as I don't want to ever deal with this stuff again:biker:
 
I'm looking forward to the photos of the completed job! :)
 
Thread starter
Well I finally got around to finishing the LTD. Great project during COVID, took the hot and humid summer months off. Already have another project started, a 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100 with only 13,000 miles.

Pictures attached, enjoy the Holiday's fellow forum members!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A few more pictures.
 
Wow, awesome job, it looks like showroom condition!!
Great job and be proud of the bike and yourself!!
Must be a keeper, don't flip it!
:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
Nice looking results. That seat is just screaming for a mid height sissy bar to be put behind it.
Actually I am still looking for the original OEM grab bar for the bike, there is one on Ebay but seller want's too much. The seat is a leather "Saddlemen" made right here in the USA!:thanks:
 
Beautiful, but it needs a stock seat which was a classic design
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Beautiful, but it needs a stock seat which was a classic design
Finding OEM seats for these is like playing the lottery, both of which I have had not much luck:thumbsup:
What really amazed me when performing the restoration was the quality of the chrome back in the 80's. Very little rust evidence after 38 years and polish's up with no scratches, unlike the CB1100 chrome, which will rust or scratch if you breath on it.
 
Back
Top