A small modification i stole from EmptySea

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
I got the idea from Emptysea a long while back and just never got around to it. The recent post about the quarter on the throttle body reminded me. Took some doing to get the cap crimped around the edge.

33e61b230fc0091636d7e24662192b37.jpg
 
Clever , does it have meaning?
 
misterprofessionality' pid='316988' dateline='1649717633 said:
I got the idea from Emptysea a long while back and just never got around to it. The recent post about the quarter on the throttle body reminded me. Took some doing to get the cap crimped around the edge.

Nice touch.
 
I like Vernor's Ginger Ale. I'm guessing it's not the same thing.
 
Thread starter
I've had Vernors! It's not quite the same thing at all. Blenheim is a small bottling company out of Greer SC. Really old-time bottling techniques, and the flavor of the beverage is strong in the nose but not at all like ginger candy.
 
Every time I detail my bike, I look at that spot and wonder if I'd ever want to stick something there. I'm toying with the idea of finding a Honda emblem that's about the same size, maybe something that looks like this.
 
Thread starter
i've actually been strongly considering getting a couple of those and finding a way to replace the existing tank emblems. They already exist as a part, it's just a matter of fastening them in a way that is as secure and perfect as the original factory job.
 
I'd just use 3M mounting tape - the thin black type. That's what the factory uses for emblems. I use it all the time for work projects.

Also use it to rename stuff - I had an '85 Camry badged as an Oldsmobile 98 Regency.
 
2f4e4a96f187d58d113d543145c6ed10.jpg


(TripleXXX is diner in West Lafayette, IN)

Interesting that mine is from root beer and Mr. P’s is from ginger ale. Ginger ale is easily the more “hipster” of the two soft drinks.

However, underneath the cap, is glued the metal button from a pair of Levi skinny jeans I bought at a thrift store in Wicker Park (Chicago) in 1995, that allegedly were once worn by the lead singer of Smashing Pumpkins. I think that might get me noticed by the 20-something Goth girls that hang out at the indie coffee shop near me. ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
... are you trying to attract 20-something goth girls?

That's more maintenance than I would want to take on.
 
:rofl:

imagining Sea in skinny jeans :P
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
... are you trying to attract 20-something goth girls?

That's more maintenance than I would want to take on.
I was just going with the flow from the Hipster Bike video and thread.

Believe me, my 50-something accountant girl is all the maintenance I can handle at this point.
 
Thread starter
Sea, your cap is much more tightly crimped around the edge. I'm going to have to pick your brain for techniques on that. I had the idea to get a screw-down hose clamp and tighten it slowly around the edge to get a perfectly even crimp but haven't tried it.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
... are you trying to attract 20-something goth girls?

That's more maintenance than I would want to take on.
I was just going with the flow from the Hipster Bike video and thread.

Believe me, my 50-something accountant girl is all the maintenance I can handle at this point.
:thumbsup::rofl:

I had a girl here at the office call me her "Work Dad" after I showed her how to check the oil on her car. When she brings her young son to work, he runs up to me and nags me to make paper airplanes for him to toss around.

Guess I'm a Work Grandpa too...
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Sea, your cap is much more tightly crimped around the edge. I'm going to have to pick your brain for techniques on that. I had the idea to get a screw-down hose clamp and tighten it slowly around the edge to get a perfectly even crimp but haven't tried it.
Technique I employed:
-Used a dab of the silicone-based adhesive discussed in the "coin" thread.
-Banged on it 4 or 5 times with a rubber mallet.
-Crimped the edges with a parrot-nosed pliers.
-Final (and most important) step: Hope.
Gone in 60_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
... are you trying to attract 20-something goth girls?

That's more maintenance than I would want to take on.
I was just going with the flow from the Hipster Bike video and thread.

Believe me, my 50-something accountant girl is all the maintenance I can handle at this point.
:thumbsup::rofl:

I had a girl here at the office call me her "Work Dad" after I showed her how to check the oil on her car. When she brings her young son to work, he runs up to me and nags me to make paper airplanes for him to toss around.

Guess I'm a Work Grandpa too...
I've gotten used to being told by servers in restaurants that I remind them of their dad...not yet used to "you remind me of my grandpa", but it's only happened 6 times, probably because I haven't been out as much during the pandemic.
 
For more ideas, logos, and emblems look here
https://fabrikbrands.com/honda-logo-history-honda-symbol-meaning-and-evolution/

... and note that all logos on the site are free to download in high (enough) quality. What next ? ... digitally mold your fav logo onto a 3D metal sphere and you got a first new idea to work on further. Many shops will happily take that digital logo and print it on few crown seals for you.

The problem remains on the left side where crown seals won't fit.
 
Back
Top