A question about wheel weights.

FLYTYM_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I recently got the spoke wheels on my 2014 S and when the shop was balancing the wheels I didn’t want the stick on weights but did make a note and location on each wheel. The front called for 3/4 OZ and the rear called for 1/2 OZ,before I but on some spoke weights thought I’d ask,I’ve ridin the bike at speed up to 90-on a track of course-and feel no imbalance. Do I need to put the weights on the wheels,my greatest fear is max tank slap at some point.
 
Hey FLYTYM: Assuming their system was properly calibrated and up-to-date, and the mechanic felt competent that day, then the machine will detect imbalance that the human may not. In addition, the machine only detects in the context of the wheel + tire. There could be slight dampening effects as you ride (wheels mounted on your bike) that manifests that sensation differently - if it exists. Best to take the weights and location into consideration.
 
I just can't understand, that in this day and age with technology as it is, they still cannot design a perfectly balanced rim and tire! Seems crazy to me. Is it just laziness on the part of the manufacturer or just justification for the cost of the shop balancing equipment, charges, and training?



Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Retsel_imp said:
I just can't understand, that in this day and age with technology as it is, they still cannot design a perfectly balanced rim and tire! Seems crazy to me. Is it just laziness on the part of the manufacturer or just justification for the cost of the shop balancing equipment, charges, and training?



Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Technology is there, but manufactures cut corners to save money everywhere, leaving some imperfection with rims, tires , etc...
 
I've never ridden with balance weights on any of my bikes (which is now about 40,000 miles total), and have never had a problem or safety issue.
I honestly don't think they're necessary, especially if the tire's light spot is aligned with the valve stem on the rim.
 
Weights come in different styles. Mine are the type which wrap around the spoke at the nipple. A good squeeze to firmly affix them and you're away. Suggest you visit another bike tyre shop, maybe one that specialises in off road bikes will be able to help you. Good luck
 
he has only bumpy streets and hard suspensions......he observe never something ...it jumps shakes still....smile...
 
I'm curious now.....how many brand-new CB1100s came with balance weights on them? Mine had nothing, and neither did the 2007 BMW I purchased before that.
Also, how many of us get their wheels re-balanced about halfway through the tire life? (According to the traditional practice, you're supposed to).

As for multiple imbalanced spots, there's only one lightest spot on the tire, and that's why the companies give us that yellow dot.

Just try it for a few miles! See if you can tell a difference.
 
Mine had weights, front and rear.
When the factory tires were replaced at the local Honda dealer, the front took zero weights and the rear about the same as original.
 
with every new tire controlls my dealer the weehls.....sometimes 0-1-2-3 weights there....what cares me.....or minimum 1x in the tirelife its optimal..smile

or
if it does not help then it will not cause any damage
.
 
Retsel_imp said:
I just can't understand, that in this day and age with technology as it is, they still cannot design a perfectly balanced rim and tire! Seems crazy to me. Is it just laziness on the part of the manufacturer or just justification for the cost of the shop balancing equipment, charges, and training?



Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
A casting or machined can be pretty much controlled and be balance right away, but the rubber and tyre structure is a different thing.

Technology is better, but still not perfect, and you don't need much error to make it a noticeable inbalance.
 
jtopiso_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
I just can't understand, that in this day and age with technology as it is, they still cannot design a perfectly balanced rim and tire! Seems crazy to me. Is it just laziness on the part of the manufacturer or just justification for the cost of the shop balancing equipment, charges, and training?



Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
A casting or machined can be pretty much controlled and be balance right away, but the rubber and tyre structure is a different thing.

Technology is better, but still not perfect, and you don't need much error to make it a noticeable inbalance.
True. When I replaced the rear tire on my Triumph Bonneville, I did so just before a trip across the desert to SoCal. On the way back I had an opportunity to open it up and at 108 MPH the rear felt like I was on a pogo stick.

For riding at reasonable speeds, it was not felt, but an imbalance may lead to tire cupping.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Agreed. I don't think you'd be interested in a perfect $9000 rim/tire that is true/balanced only when new.
If they initiated proper quality processes, that included the goal of balance and consistency, in design, products, and production, I am confident they could produce balanced ties and rims economically. Once one manufacture started it, all would be forced to follow.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Cast rims are already well balanced, it's the tires that are reliably inconsistent, and it doesn't take much. FLYTYM said his tires were 0.5 and 0.75 oz out - that's only 15 and 21 grams each, really not very much at all. Just as a reference, I compared different valve stem and valve cap weights.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Mine had weights, front and rear.
When the factory tires were replaced at the local Honda dealer, the front took zero weights and the rear about the same as original.
My factory wheel set had weights. It is quite possible this is something the dealer does as part of the safety certification.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Cast rims are already well balanced, it's the tires that are reliably inconsistent, and it doesn't take much. FLYTYM said his tires were 0.5 and 0.75 oz out - that's only 15 and 21 grams each, really not very much at all. Just as a reference, I compared different valve stem and valve cap weights.
Great comparison!
GoldOxide_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Mine had weights, front and rear.
When the factory tires were replaced at the local Honda dealer, the front took zero weights and the rear about the same as original.
My factory wheel set had weights. It is quite possible this is something the dealer does as part of the safety certification.
My factory wheel set had weights. It is quite possible this is something the dealer does as part of the safety certification.
I purchased my new (0 miles on the clock) 2014 CB1100 a year ago and it came out of the crate with weights on both tires.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Cast rims are already well balanced, it's the tires that are reliably inconsistent, and it doesn't take much. FLYTYM said his tires were 0.5 and 0.75 oz out - that's only 15 and 21 grams each, really not very much at all. Just as a reference, I compared different valve stem and valve cap weights.
Great comparison!
GoldOxide_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Mine had weights, front and rear.
When the factory tires were replaced at the local Honda dealer, the front took zero weights and the rear about the same as original.
My factory wheel set had weights. It is quite possible this is something the dealer does as part of the safety certification.
My factory wheel set had weights. It is quite possible this is something the dealer does as part of the safety certification.
I purchased my new (0 miles on the clock) 2014 CB1100 a year ago and it came out of the crate with weights on both tires.
Great comparison!
GoldOxide_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Mine had weights, front and rear.
When the factory tires were replaced at the local Honda dealer, the front took zero weights and the rear about the same as original.
My factory wheel set had weights. It is quite possible this is something the dealer does as part of the safety certification.
My factory wheel set had weights. It is quite possible this is something the dealer does as part of the safety certification.
I purchased my new (0 miles on the clock) 2014 CB1100 a year ago and it came out of the crate with weights on both tires.
Great to hear that Honda is on-the-ball.
 
Back
Top