A question about the CB1100

Right, but you two are the definition of that very narrow, target demographic I described. So was I, as it turned out, despite being significantly younger than the majority of the people on this forum.

For most everyone else, however, as in the motorcycling public writ large, including those soothsayer online reviewers who tend to determine what gets sold and what doesn't, the CB1100 was deemed an insufficient Bang For Buck value.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I definitely didn't purchase the CB1100 for optimal power, weight and whatever. It simply called to me. It pulled on the heart 'n' soul, yet, performed and handled more than I needed.
Second this...tryin' to think what did draw me to the CB1100...and it was largely based on looks. I can't claim any nostalgia for a specific CB from days long ago. It was just that it looked like a bike should.
 
pdedse_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I definitely didn't purchase the CB1100 for optimal power, weight and whatever. It simply called to me. It pulled on the heart 'n' soul, yet, performed and handled more than I needed.
Second this...tryin' to think what did draw me to the CB1100...and it was largely based on looks. I can't claim any nostalgia for a specific CB from days long ago. It was just that it looked like a bike should.
Second this...tryin' to think what did draw me to the CB1100...and it was largely based on looks. I can't claim any nostalgia for a specific CB from days long ago. It was just that it looked like a bike should.
The same thing that sells Guzzi V7s, W800s, RE 650s, Bonnevilles, and Root beer colored Kawasaki 900's (and every Harley Davidson). There is plenty of market for retros but the pie is divided into lottsa pieces.
 
Btw the Triumph Bonneville which has less performance than the CB 1100 and has been a main stay of Triumphs line since the early 2000's lists for $12,100 plus plus and I've never heard of a Triumph dealer that would discount one. The Bobber is over $13 grand.

People will spend their money for what they want regardless of how they rate on spec sheets.

Another I-4 that made 100 hp, listed for like $7k and never sold in big numbers was the Suzuki 1200 Bandit. (another really good bike btw)

I guess the point of my posts are there is no way to point at a single thing or things that made the CB sell the way it did in the US. Not performance, not weight, not horsepower, not fit and finish, not price. Who knows.

People are really fickle lol

Btw I havent heard an announcement but I just saw a video on Youtube that said it was introducing a 2021 CB 1100 RS. May have been a typo for all I know, but if true would make 12 years of continuous production for the CB
 
Yep that was the one, but I saw no sign beside it verifying it's a 2021 ..could be a 2020?

On another note I didn't remember paying $12K for my 2013 so I looked it up. Retail for the non ABS was $9,999 (which I got) and $10,999 for the C ABS model

2013 Honda CB1100 ABS
Base Price: $9,999
Price as Tested: $10,999 (C-ABS brakes)
Warranty: 12 mos., unltd. miles
Website: powersports.honda.com

2013 Honda CB1100 - Road Test Review | Rider Magazine
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yep that was the one, but I saw no sign beside it verifying it's a 2021 ..could be a 2020?

On another note I didn't remember paying $12K for my 2013 so I looked it up. Retail for the non ABS was $9,999 (which I got) and $10,999 for the C ABS model

2013 Honda CB1100 ABS
Base Price: $9,999
Price as Tested: $10,999 (C-ABS brakes)
Warranty: 12 mos., unltd. miles
Website: powersports.honda.com

2013 Honda CB1100 - Road Test Review | Rider Magazine
If the place card info is to be believed, then ...



... I think the year code is "H" or 2017. Maybe a new 2017 found by someone in 2021?
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
With only a few mouse clicks you can easily find video’s of groups of young Japanese men on their modified CB’s meeting up, clearly having fun. Like now not years ago. Lots of metallic candy colour’s, different pipes, tanks, bars, seats etc. There must be a strong custom scene there. So maybe Honda achieved what they wanted after all on home ground and as others have spotted, maybe success elsewhere in the world was not that important? That picture above is just off a quick Google search but IMO looks terrific. If someone on the forum owns this BTW all I can say is ‘wow’.
Wow... terrific looking bike.
 
Every market will have its foibles. From here the USA appears completely power mad, cars are huge, engines are huge, petrol compared to the price here is dirt cheap, it’s roughly £5.50 a gallon here which I think is something like $7.60 US. I know I know it cannot be true of everyone but it’s so easy to find YouTube vids of let’s call them ‘Busa boys’ doing ‘smack downs’. 190 mph street races against heavily modded H2’s, ZX14R’s and BMW1000R’s in T shirts and flip flops. No gloves of course. Splitting lanes, wheelies, stunts, crashing sometimes. I don’t understand how they get away with it? At the other extreme every Harley seems to have to leave the dealership modded out with the biggest engines known to man or it’s rubbish. Like they aren’t big enough anyway?It’s alien to me.

So maybe, in Japan, at their HQ and Worldwide marketing dept they reach a similar conclusion and think well, shame but it’s the wrong market for the CB, so pull the plug.

The retro/ heritage thing is fickle. Let’s take the Suzuki Katana make over released a couple of years ago. Clearly looks wise based on the 1980’s air cooled model but now with a water cooled 145 bhp engine and egg cup sized petrol tank. I have not ridden one but saw one in a showroom. Very very quick bike. Can’t give them away. Another one the Z900RS Cafe. I like how it looks a lot but I don’t think that did well, (the unfaired one did) dealers were still trying to get rid of 0 mile 2018 bikes last Christmas at massive discounts. I even for a brief time wondered if I could scrape enough together to bag one. When Ferret highlights the overall production run of 10 years, despite everything, it’s pretty impressive really.
 
bioman_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Well it is too late for Europe or any market that follows the Euro Emissions regulations as they are not making the CB1100 Euro 5 compliant. You say they are becoming quite popular, what makes you say that?

In answer to your question though I don't think the CB1100 will catch on, it is a very niche bike and a lot of people just can't see past that horsepower figure from an 1100.

If Honda had kept up with the game, made it water-cooled but to look air-cooled (a la Triumph), added things like cruise, another 20HP-30HP and a bit more electronics then maybe they could appeal to a broader market. I wouldn't of minded if they had done something completely mad and done a old style full fairing version. The CB1100 has been a pretty stagnant beast its whole life apart from some styling changes. Everyone wants new new new now and the CB1100 isn't that.

Personally it suits me fine to have an uncommon machine (in my area anyway) and I'm very happy with my EX, it will be in my stable long after my Tiger has gone.
And that is almost exactly what Honda did: :)

c188d842eb328a0ba7299dbdfeba74cd.jpg


(the "Neo Sports Café" CB1000R)
And that is almost exactly what Honda did: :)

e6b8f50bd2328ed784af7694d7fc1436.jpg


(the "Neo Sports Café" CB1000R)
But they didn't, thats not what I am talking about. I do like that bike but it is a neo retro (not sure what that means) with no resemblance to their past. That engine, with a redesigned finned block in our style chassis would do the trick though.
 
It very well "could be" the current CB1000R ("Neo Sports") is the current classic for the now generation. We may not know for another 25 to 40 years.

If so, that kinda puts the air-cooled CB1100 into the sort of steam age. Maybe not a bad thing. Many of us here will never know.
 
Maybe this is of little interest, but here in Sweden there seems to be several dynamics in play. I just came back from test riding a 701 Vitpilen. This dealer, with Husky, Suzuki and Kawa, says the same thing as my Honda/MV dealer: the Covid thing has bucked the overall long term trend of reduced interest in bikes. Dealerships suddenly saw business and now there is general bike shortage due to Covid hampering production/shipping. Both these dealerships vacuum the market for unsold new bikes. At the same time some of their non-mainstreem showroom bikes are massively discounted: 2019 SV650X - 20 %, 2019 Vitpilen 701 - 20 %, 2018 CB1000R - 24 %. And yes, also two 2018 CB1100RS discounted 15 %. None of these bikes seem to move much. None of this makes sense to me under these circumstances. These are all great bikes.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Btw the Triumph Bonneville which has less performance than the CB 1100 and has been a main stay of Triumphs line since the early 2000's lists for $12,100 plus plus and I've never heard of a Triumph dealer that would discount one. The Bobber is over $13 grand.

People will spend their money for what they want regardless of how they rate on spec sheets.

Another I-4 that made 100 hp, listed for like $7k and never sold in big numbers was the Suzuki 1200 Bandit. (another really good bike btw)

I guess the point of my posts are there is no way to point at a single thing or things that made the CB sell the way it did in the US. Not performance, not weight, not horsepower, not fit and finish, not price. Who knows.

People are really fickle lol

Btw I havent heard an announcement but I just saw a video on Youtube that said it was introducing a 2021 CB 1100 RS. May have been a typo for all I know, but if true would make 12 years of continuous production for the CB
mickey, you're comparing apples and oranges. The Bonnevilles never had any power. It's not expected of them. It's a much more retro vibe, even compared to the CB1100. Nevertheless, the new ones make significantly more power than the last ones, never mind the vintage ones.

Progress. Perceived value.

Also, dealers dealers here discount the crap out of Bonnevilles. In terms of sheer numbers sold, I think it's safe to say that my local Triumph dealer dwarfs your Ohio dealership. They're the largest Triumph dealership in NoCal, which is a much larger market than practically any other locale in America. They definitely discount Bonnevilles. Drastically, in certain instances.

As for why the CB didn't sell, I believe you're intentionally ignoring what you know to be true. Just as I have—in fact, you're even worse (better?)—I know you have read every last word that was ever written regarding the CB1100. You haven't missed a single review. You know what they all say.

There is no mystery here. We know why it didn't sell. The universal refrain, whether from professional motojounalists, online reviewers, and all the posted comments, has always been, "Very nice bike. Underpowered. Too costly for what you get. For that kind of money, I'd rather have a _____."

That's it. This Honda was held to a much higher standard than the Bandit 1200, which wasn't a halo product for Suzuki. The big Bandit was a cheap, parts-bin special with a borrowed motor and antiquated—as opposed to overtly retro—styling.

Can't compare it to the CB1100. They occupy very different strata in each company's hierarchy, as well as in the minds of the motorcycling public. The Suzuki was an affordable, generic, do-everything appliance. The Honda was a jewel; maybe even the crown jewel of the entire lineup.

Different buyers. Different expectations.

And for all of that, compared to the CB1100, Suzuki sold a bazillion more Bandits. It was the lower price, the perceived Bang For Buck value. Just as it's been with the V-Stroms, people felt that the Bandit seriously undercut its competition, price-wise. The perception was always that it was a major bargain for what it offered. Neither Suzuki nor the Bandit's owners had to justify its cost with esoteric arguments about lineage, character, special R&D, refinement, etc. Quite the opposite, actually. The selling point was always, "Big motor, big torque, big fun, big reliability, big utility...super-low price. Who in their right mind wouldn't buy this thing?"

It clearly worked. That bike stuck around and remained relatively popular for a lot longer than its bargain-basement looks would have indicated.
 
I always enjoy Veals comments and opinions, even though we may see things or percieve things differently. His knowledgable of motorcycling is expansive, and he writes and expresses his opinion intelligently.

It may be a difference of locales. Mid west Ohio where I have spent 70 years, is a lot different than west coast California, in weather, geography. politics, economies and attitudes.

What flies as normal there, doesnt float at all here. What sells there, doesnt necessarily sell here. Harleys rule the roads here, sportbikes are dead meat. On summer weekends you'll see a group of 3 or 4 600's sportbikes riding together. Other than that never see one. Groups of Harleys you see every day above 40 degrees, and several individual Harleys out about any time its above freezing. See quite a few of the big Indians too but no FTRs or Scouts. Retros do pretty well here, ADV's not so much. Euro's dont sell well here. We had a Ducati dealer, and a BMW dealer but they both folded tents and snuck out in the middle of the night. We have no KTM, Husky, Royal Enfield or Aprilia dealers within 100 miles of me. We do have a small Moto Guzzi dealership, and a Triumph dealership.

Most of the bikes I see, outside of Harleys, are Honda or Yamaha cruisers.

I think this experience, what we see, shapes our opinions. We all think our experiences, what we see, hear and think are " the norm".

The Suzuki Bandit did not sell well here at all. I remember seeing one at a dealership in 2005. I have never seen one on the road. I have seen multiple CB 1100s on the road, but very few in dealerships.
 
Ferret....what you mention in your comment above is in today’s progressive vernacular called ‘living your truth’... and VLJ is living his.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Ferret....what you mention in your comment above is in today’s progressive vernacular called ‘living your truth’... and VLJ is living his.
Thankfully, both truths have the CB1100 in common.
 
Back
Top