A note about this forum, it's history, an apology and an announcement

offroadfx4_imp said:
Everything I know about the CB1100 and motorcycling in general after a 20+ year absence I learned from this forum.

Having seen how dedicated Ferret is to moderating this forum every day, hats off to him (even moderating going down the interstate @ 75mph)!

With Cormanus's responses I can tell he has the same dedication!

I've managed a few web pages in my life and I know the cost to Guth, in time and money is not free!

Guth, as said in another post, if you ever want to set up a PayPal account we can donate to or ever charge an annual fee, I'd be the first to contribute.

Keep up the good work Guth, Ferret and Cormanus!
Crikey, offroad! For a moment I thought you meant the Ferret had been behaving like a cager with a phone. Then I remembered you and he trailered your bikes somewhere so I hope you were driving. :D
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Guth, wait. You had Ferret in mind all the time? So I can’t take credit anymore for being first to nominate him when you said you needed a moderator? I’m shattered. I’m going to the garage and have a long talk to my CB about this :) I mean, I joined before Mickey. (Insert whiny smiley here)

I mean, its a little known fact that the reason Cormanus got made moderator is because he sent Guth 2 cases of Vegemite :P

[And just so everyone knows, Guth didn’t need me or anyone else to pick a moderator, but we had fun with it back in the day.]
I'm sorry popgun, but if you had used the only known CB1100 Forum Secret Decoder Ring in existence to it's fullest extent then you would have already figured this out a long time ago. :dodgy: I'm not sure what to tell you as I don't even have a copy of the User Manual for that ring around anymore. I'm of course assuming that it is still in your possession. Please tell me that you didn't ebay that thing.

And for the record, Cormanus was deemed a moderator precisely because he did not send me 2 jars of Vegemite. If he had actually threatened me with 2 cases of that stuff you can bet that he'd the site admin.
 
Have you ever tried Vegemite, boss?
 
Thread starter
No, but I have a friend that tried Vegemite years ago and he didn't make too convincing of a case for the stuff. (But then I don't think he cares much for motorcycles either so maybe I shouldn't judge it based on that, lol.) Are you a fan? My biggest personal knock on it is that if I even so much as think the name Vegemite, I end up with that old tune "Down Under" by Men at Work stuck in my head for the better part of the day. There it is now, playing away...
 
Vegemite has grown on me over the years and now I'm pretty partial to it. As for Down Under, what could be wrong with that? Colin Hay who wrote it is well worth chasing down as a solo performer. As I recall, Flynrider is a fan. Hay was very disappointed to lose a plagiarism case over the flute riff in Down Under. He was done over by a children's round, Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree. Not a good version, but here.
 
You can feel his pain in I Wish I Was Still Drinking. Fortunately for me ...
 
From what I've seen across the 'net, most discussions about moderating Internet forums are focused on "the language".

English is, obviously, not my native tongue - which is probably the reason why I'm both avoiding any "colorful expressions" myself, but also why I am quite undisturbed by the presence of the same. That said, I'll offer the following thought on moderating Internet forums in general:

To put in place rules and then moderate an Internet forum in order to steer well clear of anything approaching vulgarity is not a very difficult task. What is difficult, and what makes much more difference, is moderating with a view of striking the point of balance between presenting opposite sides of some argument with vigour and conviction, but without sinking to "ad hominem" attacks on the proponent of the opposite side. Rules there are much harder to put in place, and impartial, intelligent moderators even more difficult to find; this to the extent that Internet abounds with forums where the dictionary is pure pablum, but innumerable threads quickly deteriorate to endless ad-hominem ping-pong that is read by no-one but the two contributing fools.
 
rotor, I confess I'm slightly surprised to learn English is not your native tongue.
 
To Guth and the moderators, Keep up the good work and Thank You for your dedication to this forum for the CB. It's a great place to share our experiences with this Honda.
 
Ole_imp said:
ADVrider has 340,000 members. It is solely owned by a Silicon Valley entrepreneur. He has recently stated that ADV is going to start selling advertisements.

Good on you mr Guth for holding the line,,,
That's something I just don't understand.

I started designing websites over 20 years ago, and had some very interesting clients in the motorsports industry, along with a lot of very interesting experiences.

The whole point of the Internet is to bring as many people together as possible. It's the Worldwide Web. Creating a forum on the Internet is a very explicit invitation for anyone and everyone to join the conversation, within reasonable rules and guidelines.

Rotor's recent comments, I believe, also address a very real conflict of interest here.

"To put in place rules and then moderate an Internet forum in order to steer well clear of anything approaching vulgarity is not a very difficult task. What is difficult, and what makes much more difference, is moderating with a view of striking the point of balance between presenting opposite sides of some argument with vigour and conviction, but without sinking to "ad hominem" attacks on the proponent of the opposite side. Rules there are much harder to put in place, and impartial, intelligent moderators even more difficult to find; this to the extent that Internet abounds with forums where the dictionary is pure pablum, but innumerable threads quickly deteriorate to endless ad-hominem ping-pong that is read by no-one but the two contributing fools."

A person can easily create a private, "members-only" forum on the Web, in which case it's not on the Web as a part of social media, it's simply using the network.

I've read a few comments pertaining to keeping the riff-raff out and so on.

The riff-raff, or anyone who doesn't fit the plan, could easily be kept out with a private forum.

This is something that has been bugging me for a long time: why create a forum where anyone on the Web can join, and then try to limit the membership?

The rules for this forum are pretty clear, and if someone joins up and follows the rules, they should not have to subscribe to the same world view as the moderators.

Guth brought up the prospect of selling this forum; the irony here, with respect to keeping the membership down on purpose and such, is that doing so decreases the value of the website, and thus, Guth's efforts to build a forum. And I believe he has the absolute right to increase the value of this forum as much as he can, and sell it if he pleases. It's a lot of work, and last time I checked, money wasn't growing on trees.

Why not just put something into the rules that says:

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, anytime, for any reason?"
 
Ulvetanna, okay, so your take on the Z900 vis a vis the CB1100 is that the Kawi is the least buzzy I-4 you've ridden, which must mean that you find it less buzzy than the CB. Most of the reports I've read say the same regarding the Z900, although many do mention a bit of buzz up in the Fun Zone.

My take on the CB, judging solely by my ride on Eric's 2014 Standard, is that it's somewhere in the middle. By no means is it the smoothest I-4 I've ridden. That would be the CBR1100XX Blackbird, which was eerily smooth for an I-4. The CB is also nowhere near the buzziest, either. It's been a long time, but I'm sure my five-speed Bandit 1200S was much buzzier, and I didn't buy a 919 after a test ride left my fingers numb from the excessive buzz.

How about the Z900's mirrors? I assume they're half filled with elbows, like the similarly-positioned items on my XSR and Street Triple R, but what about vibration-induced blurring? My XSR's mirrors are dead-clear up to 70 mph in sixth gear. Above 70 mph they begin to blur a bit, and by 80 mph they're fairly useless, especially at night. Can't make out a cop cruiser from a bread truck.

Meanwhile, the mirrors on Eric's CB1100 were simply amazing. No elbows occupying half the rearward view, and they remained crystal clear at all speeds. With the Z900 being smoother than the CB, as you say, are the mirrors equally smooth?
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Ole_imp said:
ADVrider has 340,000 members. It is solely owned by a Silicon Valley entrepreneur. He has recently stated that ADV is going to start selling advertisements.

Good on you mr Guth for holding the line,,,
That's something I just don't understand.

I started designing websites over 20 years ago, and had some very interesting clients in the motorsports industry, along with a lot of very interesting experiences.

The whole point of the Internet is to bring as many people together as possible. It's the Worldwide Web. Creating a forum on the Internet is a very explicit invitation for anyone and everyone to join the conversation, within reasonable rules and guidelines.

Rotor's recent comments, I believe, also address a very real conflict of interest here.

"To put in place rules and then moderate an Internet forum in order to steer well clear of anything approaching vulgarity is not a very difficult task. What is difficult, and what makes much more difference, is moderating with a view of striking the point of balance between presenting opposite sides of some argument with vigour and conviction, but without sinking to "ad hominem" attacks on the proponent of the opposite side. Rules there are much harder to put in place, and impartial, intelligent moderators even more difficult to find; this to the extent that Internet abounds with forums where the dictionary is pure pablum, but innumerable threads quickly deteriorate to endless ad-hominem ping-pong that is read by no-one but the two contributing fools."

A person can easily create a private, "members-only" forum on the Web, in which case it's not on the Web as a part of social media, it's simply using the network.

I've read a few comments pertaining to keeping the riff-raff out and so on.

The riff-raff, or anyone who doesn't fit the plan, could easily be kept out with a private forum.

This is something that has been bugging me for a long time: why create a forum where anyone on the Web can join, and then try to limit the membership?

The rules for this forum are pretty clear, and if someone joins up and follows the rules, they should not have to subscribe to the same world view as the moderators.

Guth brought up the prospect of selling this forum; the irony here, with respect to keeping the membership down on purpose and such, is that doing so decreases the value of the website, and thus, Guth's efforts to build a forum. And I believe he has the absolute right to increase the value of this forum as much as he can, and sell it if he pleases. It's a lot of work, and last time I checked, money wasn't growing on trees.

Why not just put something into the rules that says:

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, anytime, for any reason?"
399c0f1dc0082d2bd7bd958d4e41a36a.


ddd300d14d5e23b7580370e19d0dea71.jpg


cfc69f0b4e3f57ec2f05f402b70b86c2.jpg
 
VLJ_imp said:
Ulvetanna, okay, so your take on the Z900 vis a vis the CB1100 is that the Kawi is the least buzzy I-4 you've ridden, which must mean that you find it less buzzy than the CB. Most of the reports I've read say the same regarding the Z900, although many do mention a bit of buzz up in the Fun Zone.

My take on the CB, judging solely by my ride on Eric's 2014 Standard, is that it's somewhere in the middle. By no means is it the smoothest I-4 I've ridden. That would be the CBR1100XX Blackbird, which was eerily smooth for an I-4. The CB is also nowhere near the buzziest, either. It's been a long time, but I'm sure my five-speed Bandit 1200S was much buzzier, and I didn't buy a 919 after a test ride left my fingers numb from the excessive buzz.

How about the Z900's mirrors? I assume they're half filled with elbows, like the similarly-positioned items on my XSR and Street Triple R, but what about vibration-induced blurring? My XSR's mirrors are dead-clear up to 70 mph in sixth gear. Above 70 mph they begin to blur a bit, and by 80 mph they're fairly useless, especially at night. Can't make out a cop cruiser from a bread truck.

Meanwhile, the mirrors on Eric's CB1100 were simply amazing. No elbows occupying half the rearward view, and they remained crystal clear at all speeds. With the Z900 being smoother than the CB, as you say, are the mirrors equally smooth?
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Ole_imp said:
ADVrider has 340,000 members. It is solely owned by a Silicon Valley entrepreneur. He has recently stated that ADV is going to start selling advertisements.

Good on you mr Guth for holding the line,,,
That's something I just don't understand.

I started designing websites over 20 years ago, and had some very interesting clients in the motorsports industry, along with a lot of very interesting experiences.

The whole point of the Internet is to bring as many people together as possible. It's the Worldwide Web. Creating a forum on the Internet is a very explicit invitation for anyone and everyone to join the conversation, within reasonable rules and guidelines.

Rotor's recent comments, I believe, also address a very real conflict of interest here.

"To put in place rules and then moderate an Internet forum in order to steer well clear of anything approaching vulgarity is not a very difficult task. What is difficult, and what makes much more difference, is moderating with a view of striking the point of balance between presenting opposite sides of some argument with vigour and conviction, but without sinking to "ad hominem" attacks on the proponent of the opposite side. Rules there are much harder to put in place, and impartial, intelligent moderators even more difficult to find; this to the extent that Internet abounds with forums where the dictionary is pure pablum, but innumerable threads quickly deteriorate to endless ad-hominem ping-pong that is read by no-one but the two contributing fools."

A person can easily create a private, "members-only" forum on the Web, in which case it's not on the Web as a part of social media, it's simply using the network.

I've read a few comments pertaining to keeping the riff-raff out and so on.

The riff-raff, or anyone who doesn't fit the plan, could easily be kept out with a private forum.

This is something that has been bugging me for a long time: why create a forum where anyone on the Web can join, and then try to limit the membership?

The rules for this forum are pretty clear, and if someone joins up and follows the rules, they should not have to subscribe to the same world view as the moderators.

Guth brought up the prospect of selling this forum; the irony here, with respect to keeping the membership down on purpose and such, is that doing so decreases the value of the website, and thus, Guth's efforts to build a forum. And I believe he has the absolute right to increase the value of this forum as much as he can, and sell it if he pleases. It's a lot of work, and last time I checked, money wasn't growing on trees.

Why not just put something into the rules that says:

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, anytime, for any reason?"
399c0f1dc0082d2bd7bd958d4e41a36a.


ddd300d14d5e23b7580370e19d0dea71.jpg


cfc69f0b4e3f57ec2f05f402b70b86c2.jpg
Yes, perfectly smooth. IIRC the CB1100's mirrors did buzz a bit after I did the bar mod, but no big deal.

Also agree, the CB1100 is about in the middle of the pack with respect to vibration. It certainly is not excessive and is reasonably smooth at normal cruising speeds.

I just have to say, I had a great time spinning that bike up to redline. It LOVED being spun up and it responded very well to control inputs in that range, on-off throttle, engine braking, trail braking and all that. More stable mid corner as well, with the RPMs up (gyroscopic stability due to crankshaft rotation, flywheel mass, you know what I mean).

That bike is heavy, yes, but it was fun to ride fast, once I got the Ikons and good tires on it.

Mine was non-ABS, and doing the stainless lines and HH pads was really gilding the lily. I recall once or twice getting a bit of daylight under the rear tire before I ever did those mods.

But it did let me brake with only one finger all the time, and as I recall now, the reason I did it is because I was having some trouble with my hands, which has since cleared up.
VLJ_imp said:
Ulvetanna, okay, so your take on the Z900 vis a vis the CB1100 is that the Kawi is the least buzzy I-4 you've ridden, which must mean that you find it less buzzy than the CB. Most of the reports I've read say the same regarding the Z900, although many do mention a bit of buzz up in the Fun Zone.

My take on the CB, judging solely by my ride on Eric's 2014 Standard, is that it's somewhere in the middle. By no means is it the smoothest I-4 I've ridden. That would be the CBR1100XX Blackbird, which was eerily smooth for an I-4. The CB is also nowhere near the buzziest, either. It's been a long time, but I'm sure my five-speed Bandit 1200S was much buzzier, and I didn't buy a 919 after a test ride left my fingers numb from the excessive buzz.

How about the Z900's mirrors? I assume they're half filled with elbows, like the similarly-positioned items on my XSR and Street Triple R, but what about vibration-induced blurring? My XSR's mirrors are dead-clear up to 70 mph in sixth gear. Above 70 mph they begin to blur a bit, and by 80 mph they're fairly useless, especially at night. Can't make out a cop cruiser from a bread truck.

Meanwhile, the mirrors on Eric's CB1100 were simply amazing. No elbows occupying half the rearward view, and they remained crystal clear at all speeds. With the Z900 being smoother than the CB, as you say, are the mirrors equally smooth?
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Ole_imp said:
ADVrider has 340,000 members. It is solely owned by a Silicon Valley entrepreneur. He has recently stated that ADV is going to start selling advertisements.

Good on you mr Guth for holding the line,,,
That's something I just don't understand.

I started designing websites over 20 years ago, and had some very interesting clients in the motorsports industry, along with a lot of very interesting experiences.

The whole point of the Internet is to bring as many people together as possible. It's the Worldwide Web. Creating a forum on the Internet is a very explicit invitation for anyone and everyone to join the conversation, within reasonable rules and guidelines.

Rotor's recent comments, I believe, also address a very real conflict of interest here.

"To put in place rules and then moderate an Internet forum in order to steer well clear of anything approaching vulgarity is not a very difficult task. What is difficult, and what makes much more difference, is moderating with a view of striking the point of balance between presenting opposite sides of some argument with vigour and conviction, but without sinking to "ad hominem" attacks on the proponent of the opposite side. Rules there are much harder to put in place, and impartial, intelligent moderators even more difficult to find; this to the extent that Internet abounds with forums where the dictionary is pure pablum, but innumerable threads quickly deteriorate to endless ad-hominem ping-pong that is read by no-one but the two contributing fools."

A person can easily create a private, "members-only" forum on the Web, in which case it's not on the Web as a part of social media, it's simply using the network.

I've read a few comments pertaining to keeping the riff-raff out and so on.

The riff-raff, or anyone who doesn't fit the plan, could easily be kept out with a private forum.

This is something that has been bugging me for a long time: why create a forum where anyone on the Web can join, and then try to limit the membership?

The rules for this forum are pretty clear, and if someone joins up and follows the rules, they should not have to subscribe to the same world view as the moderators.

Guth brought up the prospect of selling this forum; the irony here, with respect to keeping the membership down on purpose and such, is that doing so decreases the value of the website, and thus, Guth's efforts to build a forum. And I believe he has the absolute right to increase the value of this forum as much as he can, and sell it if he pleases. It's a lot of work, and last time I checked, money wasn't growing on trees.

Why not just put something into the rules that says:

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, anytime, for any reason?"
399c0f1dc0082d2bd7bd958d4e41a36a.


ddd300d14d5e23b7580370e19d0dea71.jpg


cfc69f0b4e3f57ec2f05f402b70b86c2.jpg
DUDE!
 
I cannot comment on the comparative buzziness of the I-4s since I have no experience with different ones, but I agree with your comment about the mirrors. I think they're great. You seem to be one of the only folks from what I might call the "Sport Rider" contingent that likes the mirrors. There are several threads on this forum about their removal and replacement. Personally, I like they way they look and I REALLY like their visibility.
As to the rules and ads and the like.. I don't think that Guth ever seriously considered selling the site, but maybe I'm incorrect there. What I am definitely correct on, though, is that the rules on language and on membership have served this particular forum particularly well. I am a little baffled why the two of you keep discussing the (non)issue.
 
EmptySea, of those people here who talk about swapping out their mirrors, do they do so out of a desire to improve the aesthetic, or is it usually a complaint regarding poor functionality? I see the same talk on the T120 message boards. Everyone hates the mirrors. The odd thing is that everyone agrees they work fantastically. They offer an unobstructed view, and they neither shake nor blur. Each time I've ridden a T120, I loved the mirrors. The people on the forums just hate how they look, with the long stalks. They're often referred to as "mouse ears." Everyone seems to prefer bar-end mirrors, which look all wrong on that bike, to me.

I can't imagine that anyone could have a serious gripe about the CB1100's mirrors, in terms of poor functionality. I mean, come on, how much better could they be? I don't know how they could look any better, either, since they're period-correct.

As to the language issue, I brought it up to mickey after seeing a few of my posts edited by him. Of the posts he edited, only one contained anything that (arguably) ran afoul of the intended spirit of this place. The others simply had no business being edited, so I asked him about it.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
rotor, I confess I'm slightly surprised to learn English is not your native tongue.
You're too kind - but seriously, the more I think about it, this is why I - as an exception perhaps - would much rather see an expression such as "...you are ill-informed..." in any Internet forum flag list than any one of the words that I can think of (in this hastily learned language :) that is related to a perfectly normal and often quite enjoyable bodily function.
 
OMG...do we have a fight or war starting up on CB forum?????... should I sharpen up my tools already???..I am getting very confused:exclamation:
PEACE to all forever and ever :angel:

:biker:

pb
 
VLJ, I think it's more the aesthetic, but some people probably worry about appearing too superficial, so they create a functionality argument. In fairness, though, if you are doing a cafe mod that lowers the bars and puts your body in more of a forward lean, the stock mirrors may be hard to view.

Here, they're more often referred to as "lollipops" than "mouse ears", I think. (going to do a search on each word now, for authoritative proof)
The votes are in!
39 posts mentioning "lollipop" mirrors (although at least a few of those posts are quotes re-using the word.. so let's say 20)
6 posts mentioning "mouse ear" (almost all instances of which are preceded by "Mickey")
 
There have been some complaints about poor functionality of the mirrors. Not vibration, but people have claimed they get only a good view of their shoulders. They must be seriously big blokes, I reckon.
 
Guth_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Guth, wait. You had Ferret in mind all the time? So I can’t take credit anymore for being first to nominate him when you said you needed a moderator? I’m shattered. I’m going to the garage and have a long talk to my CB about this :) I mean, I joined before Mickey. (Insert whiny smiley here)

I mean, its a little known fact that the reason Cormanus got made moderator is because he sent Guth 2 cases of Vegemite :P

[And just so everyone knows, Guth didn’t need me or anyone else to pick a moderator, but we had fun with it back in the day.]
I'm sorry popgun, but if you had used the only known CB1100 Forum Secret Decoder Ring in existence to it's fullest extent then you would have already figured this out a long time ago. :dodgy: I'm not sure what to tell you as I don't even have a copy of the User Manual for that ring around anymore. I'm of course assuming that it is still in your possession. Please tell me that you didn't ebay that thing.

And for the record, Cormanus was deemed a moderator precisely because he did not send me 2 jars of Vegemite. If he had actually threatened me with 2 cases of that stuff you can bet that he'd the site admin.
I'm sorry popgun, but if you had used the only known CB1100 Forum Secret Decoder Ring in existence to it's fullest extent then you would have already figured this out a long time ago. :dodgy: I'm not sure what to tell you as I don't even have a copy of the User Manual for that ring around anymore. I'm of course assuming that it is still in your possession. Please tell me that you didn't ebay that thing.

And for the record, Cormanus was deemed a moderator precisely because he did not send me 2 jars of Vegemite. If he had actually threatened me with 2 cases of that stuff you can bet that he'd the site admin.
I’d never ebay the ring!! That would be as bad as removing/not having RLETs :D

It like on that TV show Greatest American Hero. Without the manual, you find out the powers as you try things. :P

So, what does Vegimite taste like. Ever since that song came out I’ve always wondered.

Oh, and Guth, I always figured you made Cormanus moderator so someone could be watching me 24/7, just in case... :excited:
 
Back
Top