A New Record!

dave

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm sure many of us have had people while driving their cars stop next to us at a stop light and say "What year is that". But I was asked this question three times in less than 24 hours while just performing short errands within 10 miles of my home. One of the guys in a Ford pick-up yelled out his window while we were driving and we had a quick conversation at 35 mph. I replied to one guy at a stop light "What year do you think it is", and he guessed 1982. Can anybody top three times in less than 24 hours?
 
I get that every time I take my Ural out. They tell me what a great job I did restoring it and ask me what year it is. But then Ural's haven't changed much since 1935.
 
Was at the shop yesterday and a guy in a Camry pulled into next to me to see if they would put a tire on his Harley Fat Boy. Looked at my CB for a long time and asked what year, then asked a whole BUNCH of questions and went inside to look at one. Interesting conversation.
 
My wife went for a walk yesterday and the neighbor down the street told her he really like the vintage honda we have.....didn't know 2013 was vintage. lol
 
It is indeed a question often asked. Most real, or current, motorcyclists seem to take the line "It has the style of a classic CB750. When was it built". Old codgers, and some not so old, who were motorcyclists, generally are the most surprised that it is a modern bike, at times prefacing their question by comments on what a great rebuild has been done. In any case it is nice to know that a lot of people like the lines of the CB even if they don't want to buy.

Cheers
 
I went to a safety meeting at work the other day, and we were all hanging out and chatting before the meeting was to start. I went into the coffee room to grab a coffee, and when I came back, everyone had gone. They weren't in the meeting room. Turns out they were all outside looking at my bike! One of my prouder moments!!
 
We are fortunate to own such a beautiful motorcycle and have great taste! Like you fellas I have been asked alot about what year or how much for the restoration. Ive gotten a thumbs up once on the freeway by a guy in a pick up truck, he was following me for a moment and then gave me the thumbs up while he sped up...Another time the CB got labelled a chick magnet while having my bike dynoed at our local speed shop. My most memorable was when I was taking photos of the CB and a woman asked me about the CB and wanted to take photos of her on the CB. I politely accepted as long I could take my own photos of her on it with my own camera. We switched emails for the photos and that was the end of that... I told my wife the whole story just in case she goes through my Computer and see them :) ...
 
Yea, yea, yea. I get the Thumbs Up and all that....................

Now where are the pics?????? :D
Cool story lola. Things like that never happen to me. :-/
 
Inline4_imp said:
Yea, yea, yea. I get the Thumbs Up and all that....................

Now where are the pics?????? :D
Cool story lola. Things like that never happen to me. :-/
Yep The Cb is truly a attention getter... Dont' want to stray away from the Original posters Topic but I really do need to back up my story so here's one :)

I didn't tell you that she did have a couple of drinks when she approached me :P

 
This is kind of funny... below is a reproduction of a KLR thread on Facebook. KLR owners are proud that their bikes are much less expensive than a BMW adventure bike. The thread asks what everyone did with the money they saved from buying a KLR vs a BMW adventure. I posted a picture of my CB and made a comment about what I did with the money I saved. The guy below me didn't recognize the bike and simply said... Classic! I guess he's still right...just a bit early!




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well, I can't beat your quantity record, but I may have the record for getting the question the soonest! Within 2 blocks, and maybe 60 seconds of having left the dealer when I bought mine, I got stopped with that question for the first time at a stoplight!
Weird thing was, it was an older guy who apparently thought I was making fun of him when I told him the real year, and he stormed off!
 
Thread starter
That is so funny! The initial response I get from people who ask what year my bike is and I tell them a look of disbelief. I usually resort to having to convince them that I'm serious, and not just pulling their leg.
 
Dave_imp said:
That is so funny! The initial response I get from people who ask what year my bike is and I tell them a look of disbelief. I usually resort to having to convince them that I'm serious, and not just pulling their leg.
Oddly, on my latest ride, I encountered two different guys who actually knew what a CB1100 was!
 
I got asked what year it was at the dealer where I bought it from, one of the service guys saw it and thought it was a really clean bike from the 80's
 
mgoodie_imp said:
I got asked what year it was at the dealer where I bought it from, one of the service guys saw it and thought it was a really clean bike from the 80's
:rofl:

Now that's funny.
 
Are you going to let them work on it? ;) My service guys always want to ride mine. But usually are too busy to do so when offered the chance.
 
Back
Top