A GS1100 To Restore

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Picked up this barn find GS today for $500. Connected a gas supply to the fuel system, checked the oil, Jumped a car battery to the dead one in place and she cranked up after just a few turns. Right side cover is missing and the seat needs a good cleaning and recover.

Always liked these bikes and I plan to keep this one and ride it. I'll post more pictures as I go forward with the project. Any advice from those with previous experience with this model will be appreciated.

Steve



[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/GS1100%20Project%20Bike/20170423_4_zpstwutswbp.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/GS1100%20Project%20Bike/20170423_6_zpskbtdbral.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/GS1100%20Project%20Bike/20170423_5_zpszczgyser.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/GS1100%20Project%20Bike/20170423_8_zps8kdxdhce.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/stumpshooter/media/GS1100%20Project%20Bike/20170423_7_zpsmudl6tez.jpg.html]
 
Nice find, Redbirds! Most of these garage queens either have solidly plugged up fuel systems, or the pistons are frozen in the cylinders. Looks like you're way ahead of the game already. I bet she'll clean up nicely. Congrats!
 
Oh, nice find, redbirds. Look forward to seeing pictures of the restoration.
 
Needs RLETs :P. :hello:
 
I loved the body work on that model with the square headlight. Very cool birds! Nice find.
 
Thread starter
An inspection of the fuel tank revealed a frosting of rust inside. The petcock was clogged with fine rust particles and I will be replacing rather than trying to rebuild it. I did find a product that worked like magic on the rusty tank, Metal Rescue. Ordered a 5 gallon bucket from Wal Mart for $88 and worth every penny. After removing the petcock from the tank, sealed the opening and filled the tank to the top with Metal Rescue and let it sit for 24 hours. Poured the liquid back into the original container (it's reusable) and on checking the tank was amazed to see all the rust was gone. This stuff really works and I've since used it to de-rust more of the parts on this old Suzuki.
 
Never heard of the stuff birds, but it sounds like some great stuff. Reusuable too huh?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Never heard of the stuff birds, but it sounds like some great stuff. Reusuable too huh?
I've got some rusty nuts and bolts and some old tools that were a bit rusted soaking in the stuff now and the rust is slowly disappearing as they soak.
 
That bike was a great find. I believe it's a "GS1100ES." Judging by the 85 mph speedo, it's an '80 or '81, correct? Hopefully the lack of air filters isn't a cruel hint of what may be inside the engine. Speaking of engine, if memory serves me, these are bulletproof motors and were sought out for years by the drag racing community. I think it'll surprise you! In clean, stock condition, I think it could fetch you $8,000-$9,000 if you decided to sell.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
That bike was a great find. I believe it's a "GS1100ES." Judging by the 85 mph speedo, it's an '80 or '81, correct? Hopefully the lack of air filters isn't a cruel hint of what may be inside the engine. Speaking of engine, if memory serves me, these are bulletproof motors and were sought out for years by the drag racing community. I think it'll surprise you! In clean, stock condition, I think it could fetch you $8,000-$9,000 if you decided to sell.
An '81 GS1100E best I can tell. I have the filter box and attachments. The previous owner had taken them off to work on the carbs but decided it was more than he could deal with. The carbs were in bad shape when I removed them. Float bowls were filled with rust particles and varnish. Tiny wasps had made nest places from the idle circuit openings. I may send the carbs off to be professionally cleaned and basic setup made. This will be expensive but probably worth it in the long run.

Funny thing, back in '81 the wife and I had test ridden a GS 1100 exactly like this one, same color. We really liked it but we were buying our first house at the time and it just was not in the budget.
 
redbirds_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Never heard of the stuff birds, but it sounds like some great stuff. Reusuable too huh?
I've got some rusty nuts and bolts and some old tools that were a bit rusted soaking in the stuff now and the rust is slowly disappearing as they soak.

I've long used plain white household vinegar. It will remove rust easily- just soak whatever in a tub for a day or 2. Be sure to protect whatever you clean immediately afterward as it will surface rust quickly.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Never heard of the stuff birds, but it sounds like some great stuff. Reusuable too huh?
I've got some rusty nuts and bolts and some old tools that were a bit rusted soaking in the stuff now and the rust is slowly disappearing as they soak.

I've long used plain white household vinegar. It will remove rust easily- just soak whatever in a tub for a day or 2. Be sure to protect whatever you clean immediately afterward as it will surface rust quickly.
White vinegar is 5% acetic acid. We Canadians and our British cousins sprinkle it on our chips (French fries) along with some salt. It will also remove road salt from car mats, although the car will smell like a chip wagon for a couple of days.
 
Thread starter
I've been tinkering with this old bike doing a bit when I had time. I sent the carbs off to a fellow in Texas for refurbishing as they were beyond my skill to deal with. They came back (4 months later) looking like new and today I connected a temporary fuel bottle and cranked the old bike to life. Adjusted the idle and seems to be running fine; no oil smoke but very loud through the old 4 into 1 system without a muffler. Now I can start acquiring the many running parts needed to finish the project. I'm painting it a light blue similar to the blue on early Suzukis. Still needs the forks rebuilt, new chain, tires and tubes, seat rebuilt, handlebars, grips and rear turn signals and a full exhaust system to name a few.
 
Sounds like a great start, Redbirds! Carbs and a good running engine are half the battle. Can't wait to see the finished product.
 
Back
Top