Georgia Covered Bridges

They're great redbirds.
 
Very cool birds. Covered bridges are such a part of the local history of each area.

Hope the family emergency was a minor one.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Very cool birds. Covered bridges are such a part of the local history of each area.

Hope the family emergency was a minor one.
This trip was about 7 years ago. The emergency concerned an illness which, fortunately, ended well.
 
I try to seek out covered bridges when I can. Managed to see 5 or 6 in NH and a couple in CT last spring.

Why did they cover them in GA ? Do you get snow ?
 
Thread starter
Chapomis_imp said:
I try to seek out covered bridges when I can. Managed to see 5 or 6 in NH and a couple in CT last spring.

Why did they cover them in GA ? Do you get snow ?
Not enough snow to matter even in north Georgia. I think the reasoning was to protect the wood from the extreme heat and humidity of summer. Having replaced the wood decks on our house three times in 24 years, I can attest to how wood holds up poorly in this climate.
 
Back
Top