A Chilly Spring Ride

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The weather has been warm but overcast and rain for the most part but this morning broke clear if a bit cold for late March. Wind was gusting up to 20mph but with the beautiful blue sky a ride was in order. I decided to make a northern loop on back roads to Blackshear and from there ride the "Snake" Road, so named for it's many curves (rare around here), and back to the house, roughly 60 miles.

A few views along the Walkerville Road. The remains of an old fireplace where, no doubt, a farmhouse once stood.
f4ebfe79269de31e680bb7eb2096fa4d.jpg

2b84d2e64c32dd1b75ae4c3b70d0d566.jpg


Wisteria vines cover old fences and home sites. They're in full bloom and their aroma fills the senses as you pass.
3310d00c8b5d8457e271d7eb156ae10c.jpg

34f213b701d53b092c032eb2860cf8eb.jpg


Heading south toward Blackshear I stop on a hilltop to take in the greenery.
d94e08952049a996defb685eeb836ef5.jpg


A quick stop at ACE to buy some paint and a view of the old Pierce County courthouse.
0e9a87bda752ccb922e47a62f1b9763e.jpg

e54d1027f5e9c2388ec8f52fce640383.jpg


Some views along "Snake Road".
b934e89e3661396be947673c57c4cd9e.jpg

1d3e7e75b8f41472a1d1dd4ef3f452b6.jpg

Also practice riding on the left in case I make a trip to Oz.

Stopped at the church on the county line near home. Moss draped Turkey Oaks and Dogwood blooms adorn thhe churchyard.
0935fc177ecf5f0f2f1d1853386db08e.jpg

67e703f85a16c023cbb943927a28a418.jpg


I cross Big Creek and head home. What a relaxing ride.
dc111d9eb22182003650a1c03765b73e.jpg

471756743d204b28bd438700dda918de.jpg
 
Thread starter
Thanks fellows.

Pamela and I are excited about the May ride in the mountains also Ptero. If spring comes early that area will be like riding through a flower garden. The best part will be meeting many of the fine folks on this forum and sharing fellowship, good rides and great food.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Thanks fellows.

Pamela and I are excited about the May ride in the mountains also Ptero. If spring comes early that area will be like riding through a flower garden. The best part will be meeting many of the fine folks on this forum and sharing fellowship, good rides and great food.
Well said.

Tony
 
Going down to Wilmington NC in 10 days for a week, looking forward to the azalea festival, warm weather, golf and a Harley rental for the day. Your just south of Augusta and the Masters, must be ready to peak down there.
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
Going down to Wilmington NC in 10 days for a week, looking forward to the azalea festival, warm weather, golf and a Harley rental for the day. Your just south of Augusta and the Masters, must be ready to peak down there.
I'm about 160 miles south of Augusta. It will peak soon. My Azaleas are about to bloom, the veggies are up in the garden, the Blue Bird houses are occupied. The Pecan trees are still bare but they're the last to leaf out.
 
Great photos as always, Redbirds.

Roll on May.
 
What a peaceful looking ride. Nice.

Spring is slowly coming to the Ohio valley. I have been taking lots of turkey pictures. They like to congregate in my yard and to strut, establish pecking order, gobble and mate. Nothing is blooming yet but my wife's tulips 10 feet from the front door were starting to grow but the deer find them delicious and nibble them back down to the ground.
 
Worst winter for deer in years, hard to put a number on it yet, in the tens of thousands in damages to shrubbery. We have spent the last 2 weeks removing shrubs and still have at least 2-3 weeks left. I have never seen it this bad in the 40 years in business.
 
I have pictures of them eating cedar bark strips and pine needles I took a few weeks ago.
 
The ferret_imp said:
What a peaceful looking ride. Nice.

Spring is slowly coming to the Ohio valley. I have been taking lots of turkey pictures. They like to congregate in my yard and to strut, establish pecking order, gobble and mate. Nothing is blooming yet but my wife's tulips 10 feet from the front door were starting to grow but the deer find them delicious and nibble them back down to the ground.

Only a day ago I idly flicked on the TV and without paying much attention found myself watching an old "Homeland" (I think) episode. The protagonist has a backyard with what looks like a small patch of tulips. A deer takes an interest in the tulips. I won't go into detail regarding the fate of the deer, but at the time I thought "Oh yeh, deer wandering into suburban back yards. Come on, pull the other one". Up around Cairns way the occasional salt water crocodile wanders into backyards, but deer? No way :).

Well I live and learn!

Cheers.
 
I didn't know salties ate tulips.

As you say, one lives and learns.
 
Back
Top