East Coast roadie

treedoc_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Well seeing as I let the team down with the Coro Loop post, today I took a few pics on my ride down the East Coast of the North Island, New Zealand.

I had the day off and the weather was nice so I took a few hrs and went for a ride to Waihau Bay. Normally I am towing the boat for a kingfish mission when I head to Waihau, so it was good to be able to enjoy the roads without towing.

On the bike I hunt out back roads, so the first part of the ride was through farmland and kiwifruit orchards.

483be81011f9ca1305b41c4adff1a736.jpg


Lots of nice curves, but gotta watch out for the boy racers!

9e8adfdc1e99ee11312e4efca6dcf690.jpg


Then out to the coast to Matataa, its pretty straight but the scenery is alright, along the coast with Pohutakawa trees lining the road.

61dae23b68bbfc3e19d28eb5e7db9fc2.jpg


Then over the hill from Whakatane to Ohope, a quick stop at the lookout.

081b327261e3ee8be9b83ae45d5effdd.jpg


There is lots of places to stop for a view.

3efee9039cee8d33d118c782caeda6b7.jpg


There was a nice little longboard wave at West End.

02c61ef395341d8a7e152d092234e5b8.jpg


Then on to Opotiki, and from there to Waihau Bay the roads and scenery are real old school NZ.

a5365aa03f322ab1f4775d0dff862bc7.jpg


The road follows the coast, over mountain ridges of native bush and down valleys to the coast again.
The road is epic with plenty of 25-55kph (recommended speed :D) corners.

8c4b393cad6a9d09538f45d2a53108d1.jpg


At the bottom there is usually a beach or a river.

de041617bea4120b368a5cf7b8e836a6.jpg


Looking along the coast you are greeted with endless headlands ahead.

0b1170b015292df0461347c24bec86e6.jpg


A lot of the roads are framed with Pohutakawa and Kanuka trees, beautiful.

a1aa379ac2426aef4516b540ab03c55f.jpg


Opposite the coast are native bush valleys, there are a few secluded tracks heading up into the bush.

bb82a95b32b01f1d51a1be40ec8f1e64.jpg

It wouldnt be an East Coast roadie without a few dirt roads.

5fe09297f6a618bd3b082d9ea85c012c.jpg


The coast is beautiful, with sand or pebble beaches and rocky bays. Good fishing.

c95187ec71974a16c7840adf25212438.jpg


The mighty Pohutakawa is a coastal tree that has masses of bright red flowers around Xmas. They live for hundreds of years often growing precariously out of near vertical rock cliffs overhanging the beach.

9731a512ea3cec69f28e0c8096b73978.jpg


After a mince and cheese pie it was back home to Kiwifruit country.

f4ce69c1cc05db2aac2b06415b5e7239.jpg


Cheers fellas :thumbsup:
 
Ripper, treedoc. NZ really is a lovely place.
 
Treedoc, I wish I was there with you: nice country and summer time :thumbsup:

P.S. Have you ever met Max?
 
Beautiful place to ride it appears.
 
Back
Top